The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204764 - 07/15/10 11:42 PM This Isn't Going to End Well
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
I don't mean to sound flip when I say this -- because three lives are at risk or possibly already lost -- but this is almost a caricature of what not to do.

Temperatures have been ~105°-115°.

Search Continues for 'Lost Dutchman Mine' Treasure Hunters

What the article doesn't say is that two of the hikers have medical conditions, and one had to be rescued last year in the same area while hunting for the Lost Dutchman.

This could've been avoided so easily.

Edited by xbanker (07/15/10 11:42 PM)

#204770 - 07/16/10 12:28 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: xbanker]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: xbanker

What the article doesn't say is that two of the hikers have medical conditions, and one had to be rescued last year in the same area while hunting for the Lost Dutchman.

Quote:
Carol says they were unprepared to spend even one night in the wild. “I don’t know why he didn’t take his phone.
I told him to take it. He says he doesn’t think he needs it because he's coming back, he was sure." She adds, “I tried to get them to take a basket with water and food, but they didn’t do it."

Can you say Darwinism?

#204774 - 07/16/10 03:48 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: jzmtl]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: jzmtl
Originally Posted By: xbanker

Quote:
Carol says they were unprepared to spend even one night in the wild. “I don’t know why he didn’t take his phone.
I told him to take it. He says he doesn’t think he needs it because he's coming back, he was sure." She adds, “I tried to get them to take a basket with water and food, but they didn’t do it."

Can you say Darwinism?
Or Darwin Award. Not that I'm some kind of genius or something, but those guys were really really dumb about how they went about it. Hello? Phoenix does have a fall just like the rest of the country. Hello?

HJ

#204779 - 07/16/10 05:09 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Either they fell out on the trail or they caught a ride into Las Vegas and are presently stinking drunk and gambling away their retirement accounts. Either way they are dead. If the buzzards don't get them their wives will.

#204781 - 07/16/10 05:22 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Many people have died looking for that mine in the last 150+ years. I just don't understand why so many of them go looking for it in summer. With the known history of the place, you would think they would be more careful, and make better plans. Renting a sat phone and taking lots of water would be the minimum.

Sue

#204790 - 07/16/10 01:33 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Susan]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Or maybe getting rescued before would cause you to think the second time. "Communications? Nah. I won't need that."
"Food? Water? Excess baggage."
"A sharp guy like me can just figure it out as I go..."

Famous last words.

HJ

#204791 - 07/16/10 02:11 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Compugeek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: San Diego, CA
I'm real big on giving people the benefit of the doubt, as I'm sure you all realize from some of my other posts.

But I have no sympathy for this guy. He needed rescue before, and he even had someone urging him to take at least a minimum of supplies. If he didn't learn anything from that, then so be it.

This is Evolution in Action.

#204794 - 07/16/10 02:23 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Compugeek]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I'm usually a little reticient to criticize people when things go wrong in the outdoors. I wasn't there, and who knows what the situation was on the ground. What a particular individual did may have seemed reasonable at the time based on what he knew. However, in this case, this guy seems like the dumbest, most clueless guy I've ever heard of.

You've heard of the Donner party? This was the Dumber party.

HJ

#204795 - 07/16/10 02:42 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Hikin_Jim]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
Carol says, “We couldn’t find them anyway. We'd die in the head. We don’t know how to climb the hills. I'd die, too."

I hope this was a typo, and she meant they'd die in the "heat". Dieing in a port-a-potty on a search and rescue mission would suck.

#204797 - 07/16/10 02:53 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: haertig]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I have been in this part of Southern Arizona. This not a place to be when things go wrong. While the heat does not approach the levels of the desert outside of Phoenix (lower elevation), it is still blistering. The good thing is (I guess) the possiblity they were taken out by "interlopers" is very slim due to the proximity of Fort Huachuca. These guys remind me of the dopes in northern Maine that have gotten lost and rescused eight times in the Allagash. The same thing has happened in Alaska numerous times. Some people never learn until their light slowly dims out of existence. I hope these guys in Arizona are not extinguished; but the odds are slim. Heat, rattlesnakes, and very rugged terrain (caves) do not add up to a good outcome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.