Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#206408 - 08/18/10 07:15 AM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: wolfepack]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: wolfepack

So my question to all of you is: What would have been your reaction to my situation upon hearing the BOOM? Thinking back on it, sitting there simply finishing my lunch was probably the worst thing I could have done, if it had been a real emergency.

Depends on how much you paid for the lunch. It would take a lot to pull me away from lobstertail or good seafood risotto. cool Seriously though, lets say you skipped dinner and hadn't eaten all day, then quickly eating your lunch might have been a good, practical decision. At the very least you could have dumped it into a bag to take with you. Can't get far on an empty stomach.

#206410 - 08/18/10 10:09 AM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: rebwa]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
14. That said, the one time I actually heard a sonic boom I hustled back to the villa my family and I were staying in. When I arrived they accused me of knocking on the door and running away (I was maybe 13 or 14). I'd thought it was thunder, but also thought thunder in a desert was unusual. It had been a NASA SR-71 blackbird as the news later reported.

#206418 - 08/18/10 01:31 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: wolfepack]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
hmmm, my reaction would have been to finish lunch. If I hadn't heard sonic booms before, the only thing I'd have done is check for secondary indications. No smoke, no shaking. . . no sirens. . .

modified 11. alertly evaluate the situation with all your senses and with no more information, finish eating, it may be your last meal. . .

#206422 - 08/18/10 02:51 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: Russ]
ajax Offline

When you said Seattle and described the sound I immediately thought "F/A-18s out of Whidbey".

We hear sonic booms irregularly on Lake Huron from fighters heading between the training ground up north and Selfridge AFB. Over land they're rare but over open water they like to light it up.

Strange they had to scramble all the way from Oregon.

#206423 - 08/18/10 02:56 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: kd7fqd]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: kd7fqd
Number 11
no doubt about it

Another reason to carry cash... drop enough to cover what you ordered without question and leave.

#206426 - 08/18/10 04:10 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: Kris]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I think that you acted correctly, without any secondary indication of anything wrong, I would have been inclined to finish my meal.

Here in London I have heard at least three terrorist bombs explode, in each case nothing would been gained by panic or running around.
I was not close enough to be injured, running around would be as likely to lead into danger as away from it.

The first bomb I heard was about 20 years ago it was 50 yards away, but was only a small one.
The next was a large vehicle bomb, I was a mile away, and saw no need for any special action.
The most recent was the one on the London undeground, near Aldgate station. I was employed in the basement of a large office building relatively near the explosion.
I was uncertain if the noise was a bomb, or a railway accident, but a deep concrete basement seemed a good place to remain.

#206436 - 08/18/10 05:44 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: adam2]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
McChord is all airlift, no combat jets afaik.
Those 'F18s" out of Whidbey are, according to Wiki, EA18's; electronic warfare jets.
The ANG out of PDX cover Central CA to the Canadian border; I see them regularly as they fly over my house when on training sorties. It's always a treat to see them take off at PDX. They put on a show.

smile

#206439 - 08/18/10 05:56 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have done? [Re: MarkO]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
I believe you acted correctly.

Now the decision of whether or not to go into work would be dependent upon the proximity of the heightened security requirements.

The best preparation is not to be there in the first place rather than trying to get out of something. Especially if you can avoid the situation altogether with foreknowledge.

#206440 - 08/18/10 06:03 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have do [Re: wolfepack]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I would've most likely done #14, too, although it's hard to imagine how the boom sounded so I think #11 could be possible, especially if I immediately remembered that the President was in town. Or let's call it #11 but without leaving. But the fact that nothing shook and you didn't feel any concussive force or hear anything else usually indicates that you aren't particularly close to any explosion and not in any immediate danger.

Actually, one could theoretically argue that leaving may not be the best choice, too, since you apparently didn't know where the sound was coming from so you could have potentially travelled into some situation. At least you were safe and unaffected right where you were.

#206442 - 08/18/10 06:20 PM Re: Real world situation 1 - What should I have do [Re: Arney]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Since those sonic booms worried so many people and clogged up the 911 dispatch center so badly, I guess they need to let the pilots of those little military jets cut loose and hit Mach 1 a little more often, so people can get used to the sound.

Call 911 to ask, "What was that sound"??? JFC! See what happens when a country has a nanny government?

If there's no debris, no dust, no fire, no alarms, and no sirens, don't get your knickers in knot.

Sue

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.