The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#206122 - 08/14/10 03:22 AM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: Mark_R]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Are the dogs actually acting threatening, or just having fun and making a lot of noise? Does it make a difference whether there is one dog or a group of dogs? Packs can change the whole picture.

If you are talking about those stupid invisible fences, you might drop the owner a registered letter about what's going to happen if their dog blows through it and attacks. Many high-prey-drive dogs will do just that. Afterwards, it can't go home because the same warning/jolt that kept him in under normal circumstances is now keeping him out. If it is truly an aggressive dog, it is now roaming the neighborhood. Once a dog goes through that fence, the fence is useless.

You could also try a mail carrier's trick: take some dog jerky treats with you and flip one or two to each dog (different directions) each time you go by. They may get to looking forward to seeing you. And it tends to annoy the owners -- HA!

Sue

#206124 - 08/14/10 04:08 AM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: chaosmagnet]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
edit by KC2IXE

Rich - calm down. This is NOT a survialist forum, and your tone in this now edited post went over the line -

Edited by KG2V (08/14/10 03:02 PM)
Edit Reason: see post

#206133 - 08/14/10 07:31 AM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: ireckon]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
With all the barking and scary dogs around - how many stories have you heard about dogs leaving their boundaries to attack someone outside those boundaries?

I've heard of quite a few stories, and have handled one case as a personal injury matter.

OK, I'm sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted By: ireckon

Anyway, what are you calling "outside those boundaries"? A dog doesn't know that the public sidewalk is not the dogs permitted territory.

I'm not talking about what's permitted. I'm talking about what the dog consider his "prime territory". As opposed to the land that surrounds it. In between is a fence, which constitutes a boundary.

A more hands-on way of illustrating the difference: Walking on the sidewalk (on the opposite side of the street) will earn you loads of barks and a threat display. Try jumping that fence and see what happens.

#206134 - 08/14/10 12:34 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: MostlyHarmless]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I think a walking stick would serve the purpose. 95% of the population will not recognise a walking stick as a weapon, while 5% will realize it is a quarter staff, more or less. It has the advantage of reach, adds power to your hit, can be used to keep the animal away from you (bite range), and if you have to, it can kill a dog rather easily.

I had a run in with a neighbor's dog. I got 29 stitches and a really neat scar on my right calf. The dog was buried. Privately the neighbor thanked me, son's dog, but son didn't want it around his young child as it was a biter. No kidding.

Since that day I am vigilant around dogs of any size. I like dogs, I just realize they are not all friendly puppies.

#206135 - 08/14/10 12:44 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Are you looking/staring at the dogs? That's taken as a challenge by some breeds. I usually keep them in the corner of my but otherwise try to appear as if I'm ignoring them.

"No, bad dog" only works if you're the owner/master. But talking to them in a friendly voice works quite well with some dogs.

#206139 - 08/14/10 01:56 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: Russ]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I like Susan's suggestion about carrying treats. You could become their best friend.

The walking staff is a good idea, too. Useful against two-legged predators as well as four-legged.

If I were encountering those kinds of dogs on a regular basis I would for sure be carrying my bear spray:

http://www.rei.com/product/623173

I do always carry a smaller canister of pepper spray. It's clipped to my dog's water bottle and poop bag holder. I carry it primarily to protect my dog from off-leash dogs. Have never used it but have pulled it out a couple times to make it clear to the owners that they better get their dogs under control.

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/...&hasJS=true

According to this article in the Los Angeles Times, mail carriers are given instructions on dealing with dogs as well as a canister of pepper spray.
http://articles.latimes.com/2007/aug/23/local/me-pitbull23

#206140 - 08/14/10 02:01 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I'm not talking about what's permitted. I'm talking about what the dog consider his "prime territory". As opposed to the land that surrounds it. In between is a fence, which constitutes a boundary.

A more hands-on way of illustrating the difference: Walking on the sidewalk (on the opposite side of the street) will earn you loads of barks and a threat display. Try jumping that fence and see what happens.

OK, point taken, but now you're talking about a scenario that is different than the original post. The original post is talking about a fence that is either insufficient or non-existent.

In every neighborhood I lived in, there is always at least one dog that has a territory that extends at least 100 feet past the property line. Everybody in the neighborhood kind of gets to know the dog. In fact, at my folks' house in northern California, there is a big dog across the street that roams around a few hundred feet outside the property line. There is no fence. The dog clearly thinks that its territory includes my parents' front yard. The dog doesn't know any better. I wouldn't blame anybody for pepper spraying the sucker if the dog suddenly got territorial. It's rather selfish and irresponsible for the owner to think that everybody must become familiar with the dog's behavior, as opposed to the owner keeping the dog inside a suitable fence.

#206155 - 08/14/10 05:26 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: JBMat]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: JBMat
I think a walking stick would serve the purpose. 95% of the population will not recognise a walking stick as a weapon, while 5% will realize it is a quarter staff, more or less. It has the advantage of reach, adds power to your hit, can be used to keep the animal away from you (bite range), and if you have to, it can kill a dog rather easily.

You say a walking stick can kill a dog rather easily, how so?

What kind of dog are you talking about there?

#206160 - 08/14/10 05:56 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am often accosted by territorial dogs when biking. I often confuse them dreadfully by saying, very gently - "Nice doggie" when they come charging out.

If that doesn't work, and they become truly aggressive, then it is time to consider the quar -, er, hiking staff.

#206161 - 08/14/10 05:56 PM Re: Big dogs / little fence [Re: ireckon]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Susan - The dogs are coming up to the fence, and on some occasions leaning over or placing their paws on the fence and barking their heads off.

Mostlyharmless - I have no intention of getting closer then opposite sidewalk. I'll leave the boundary testing to someone more desirous of a Darwin Award. P.S. The dolphins say "thanks for all the fish"

Russ - I do stare at them. I'll try watching them out of the corner of my eye and see if that reduces their reaction.

Dagny - I have carried bear spray on both rural hike for bears and urban hikes for stray or anti-social dogs. There have been a couple of tense moments, but I've never had to use it. The capsaicin content is 1.8%, comparable to the Mace brand 10%OC.

I ran across a piece of equipment called a "bite stick" used by animal control officers. It's a rod or baton you offer the dog instead of your leg. When the dog bites it and pulls, you push the animal around like a recalcitrant mop. But, I haven't been able to find any videos or instructions about the nut's and bolts of using it.

For anybody who knows dog behavior - On the event that I can push the dog around, do I push it toward the yard it escaped from or away and out of it’s territory. Which one will cause it to break off it’s attack first?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 155 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.