Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#205966 - 08/12/10 02:10 PM Bergans of Norway packs
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

My local outdoor store has been carrying a few of the packs made by Bergans of Norway now for several years. I have a friend who purchased one and loves it. They look extremely well made to me. There is little information or reviews on the net regarding them so I thought I’d toss it out here and see if anyone knew about them. I’m specifically interested in the Backcountry Guide 26L pack. The local store also carries that in the 32L but I think the 26L will have adequate capacity for my day hiking needs as in the winter both my dogs also carry packs. Apparently the company makes some military packs and these appear to be of a high grade but not military looking, which is exactly what I want. They also have adjustable shoulder straps -- a feature I want. They are pricey $145 for the 26l and $150 for the 32l.

I’m linking the companies web site, for some reason I can’t get the page up directly with the packs that I’m interested in so you’d have to go to Sekker, then click on Dagstursekker and that brings the page up with the Backcountry Guide packs. They come in Red/Black, Blue/Black and Brown/Black. I like the red/black color combination. All the well made packs that I’ve looked at in the military type grades don’t offer me much in color outside of basic black.

http://bergans.no/sider/start_sekker.asp

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

#205990 - 08/12/10 06:46 PM Re: Bergans of Norway packs [Re: rebwa]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have no firsthand experience, but I had friends who have used them. From what I recall, they are EXTREMELY well made and durable. I seem to recall them being on the more expensive side, but this was roughly 10 years ago, so that may have changed. People generally went for either a Karrimor or a Bergans-depending on their preference. Either choice is excellent though.

#205997 - 08/12/10 07:06 PM Re: Bergans of Norway packs [Re: rebwa]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Yup, I am amazed that there still are companies that haven't figured out that not being able to link directly to a specific product pages is highly counter-productive....

I am a big fan of Bergans backpacks, they fit my back like a glove (just my individual preference), but I'm not familiar with this particular pack. I searched around some Norwegian-speaking forums and the like (Bergans being a Norwegian brand and all...), and while that pack does seem to be quite popular I could not find that many reviews. But then again, there weren't any negative comments either. It seems this pack is highly popular, but no one gives that much fuss about it. Quite understandable, no one really gives much fuss about backpacks this size, they just go and buy whatever they think will work for them, then they use that pack to go skiing or whatever. End of story.

So, the best indicator is probably that while this pack is quite popular (although not dominating the market), there is a clear absence of negative reviews and comments... I also think people who buy this pack do so with rather high expectations of its performance - it is not a cheap daypack. No negative comments are therefore a pretty good indication that it works.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but please don't hesitate to ask if you need help, such as translating documentation or reviews in Norwegian.

#206004 - 08/12/10 07:35 PM Re: Bergans of Norway packs [Re: MostlyHarmless]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks both Oldsoldier and MostlyHarmless for your input. Regarding the particular pack I'm looking at-- my friend is using the exact pack only in the 32L and the manager down at the local store who I've known for a few years also has one and both highly recommend it. When I tried it on tossing a little weight in it-- I did like the way it fit as well as the comfort level. I'm going to gather up everything I would possibly carry on a day hike and take with me to make sure the 26L works, rather than stepping up to the 32L.

While my hikes are usually less than 5 miles, I hike almost daily so durability is an issue for me. In the long run this pack should hold up by the looks of it. It's a little heavier than some of the other day hiking packs on the market, the 26L weighs just under 3 lbs and the 32L a tad over 3 lbs, just due to the heavy duty construction and the added zipper that allows you to get into the bottom of the pack without unloading it. It has two side zip pockets that will fit a 32 oz Nalgene, rather than the mesh bottle pockets which works for me as I've had some durability issues the mesh pockets. It also is set up for a hydration system.

Thanks again,

#206010 - 08/12/10 08:53 PM Re: Bergans of Norway packs [Re: rebwa]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The Bergans daypack looks pretty good if slightly heavy, but should be durable and long lasting. I recently got myself a backpack in this size class from Macpac called the Rapaki 28+

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rapaki-28-plus-p156996

http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/packs/packs-day-packs/rapaki-28.html

It appears to be a well thought out backpack which crosses over from urban Laptop carry to a couple of days out in the mountains.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.