Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#205986 - 08/12/10 05:20 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: DannyL]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Has doug herd about this incedent yet?

This sounds like a great proving ground for the Knive Rights.

#205989 - 08/12/10 06:18 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: Tyber]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
HR doesn't need a knife where they work, why do you?

#205992 - 08/12/10 06:49 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: unimogbert]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I dunno. I pretty much carried at least one, if not two, knives when I was in the Army, every day. And that was in the rear. I carried a leatherman and a SAK in a holder on my belt. No one ever questioned it, most people had a knife on their belt anyhow. And companies are worried about potentially violent people carrying knives? I know for a fact the Homeless Depot want you to carry a company issued box knife, that almost could cut someone if you weren't careful with it, a full 1/32 of the tip of the blade is exposed - to cut tape I guess.

Stupid companies let stupider people make rules so they can point to having done something on their annual performance review.

#205998 - 08/12/10 07:08 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: Blast]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Suffolk, Va.
Hmmmm....

The life raft would have had TWO knives on it. One in the equipment bag, and one in a sheath attached on the upper tube of the life raft adjacent to the sea painter connection. That knife is a floatable knife and is attached by a lanyard to the sheath. It's almost impossible to leave the knive off the raft when you repack it, because they are attached to the raft.

I wonder if in the panic of boarding the life raft and trying to get away from the fire, the occupants didn't notice it. They don't look like ordinary knives since they have a blunt-tip, somewhat hooked blade.

I'm not arguing that people shouldn't be allowed to carry knives on the rig, but something sounds off in this story.

Tom A.

#206002 - 08/12/10 07:28 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: TomApple]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Tom:

could BP have removed them as part of there "no knife" pollicy? or could someone have removed them when they needed a knife and then not returned it.

I am in total agreement that there seems to be something intresting there. It will be intresting to see what comes of this

#206005 - 08/12/10 07:48 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: Tyber]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
On their website was a 2:41-long video “extra” that tells in searing detail the recollections of Mike Williams, Deepwater Horizon‘s chief electronics technician, who survived the explosion and fire, and was one of the last people to make it off the rig alive. He describes how the last life raft full of survivors almost didn’t escape the burning oil slick under the doomed rig because no one had a knife to cut the sea painter with due to Transocean’s no-knife policy.

Quote:
could BP have removed them as part of there "no knife" pollicy? or could someone have removed them when they needed a knife and then not returned it.

Wasn't this fellow in the video clip the Deepwater Horizon's chief electronics technician (a Transocean employee not a BP employee). If I recall correctly wasn't the loss of the Deepwater Horizon Drilling Platform basically due to the failure of the BOP, which was the result of an electronics failure due to a dead battery.

Perhaps it might be worthwhile asking the question of why the workers on the Deep Water Horizon were unaware of the correct lifeboat evacuation procedure rather than trying to blame the Companies no blade weapons policy. This story seems to be more a failure of the correct escape procedure training rather than a corporate knife policy.

Quote:
Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths?

The Deep Water Horizon was a Transocean rig and not owned or run by BP.

With most of these types of accidents there is usually a cascade of failures of technical machinery and human incompetence (failed to understand what the design limits of the machinery are) and I suspect the failure of certain individuals to stand up and be counted for not breaching safety standards under the pressure of the management (who in many circumstances don't know what they are doing and don't respect the opinions of less well paid by much more experienced personnel) culture of specified targets which are set by the top of the organisation without regard of the safety standards within the industry. Incompetence from top and a cowardice from the bottom makes for bad situation, the usual story of profit over risk.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/12/10 08:19 PM)

#206014 - 08/12/10 10:48 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Given that the article includes this in reference to the missing knife in the lifeboat kit I think people are grasping at straws to push their political cause. In effect reverse engineering a controversy where it may, or may not, exist.

Quote:
Was it missing, or there all along and they just couldn’t find it quickly enough when they needed it? Did they locate it but find it to be useless? Who knows?

If and when the facts become clear you may use it to push your cause. Until then it looks like cheap political opportunism. Using this before the facts are known compromises the credibility of the larger argument.

It would also be handy to have a hard copy of Transocean policies and procedures and better define where any policy originated an dhow it was enforced before making wild claims.

#206056 - 08/13/10 11:43 AM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: Tyber]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Tyber

The life raft was probably packed in a hard shell container. You just don't go into those to borrow something. You would have to break the retaining straps. Packing the raft without the required equipment would have been a violation of USCG regs and the life raft packing facility would have been negligent. But since the knives are tethered to the actual raft, it's improbable that a packing facility would forget to pack it.

I think it is more of an issue of the panic of the moment and/or improper training of the crew. The knife/knives was probably there, they just didn't recognize it or know where to look for it. But generally they are in a very conspicuous place by design.

Tom A.

#206061 - 08/13/10 12:22 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: TomApple]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
I would agree that a knife almost certainly was attached to the life raft, but in the panic of an emergency was likely not recognised or located in time.
Does anyone know what sort of knife was/should have been provided ?
The ones that I have seen dont look much like any common type of pocket knife or kitchen tool.
They consisted of a lightweight stainless steel blade with a rounded end, moulded into an orange handle with a lanyard attached.When stored, the blade was covered with a sheath in similar orange plastic, this being a fairly tight fit so as to be waterproof in storeage.
Those unfamiliar with the equipment would see an orange plastic cylinder, and might consider it to be some type of float or signalling device, not a knife.
These were sold in a yacht chandlers, dont know if those in life rafts on oil rigs are similar or not.

#206062 - 08/13/10 12:49 PM Re: Policy on knives contributed to BP oil rig deaths? [Re: adam2]
TomApple Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: adam2
They consisted of a lightweight stainless steel blade with a rounded end, moulded into an orange handle with a lanyard attached.When stored, the blade was covered with a sheath in similar orange plastic, this being a fairly tight fit so as to be waterproof in storeage.
Those unfamiliar with the equipment would see an orange plastic cylinder, and might consider it to be some type of float or signalling device, not a knife.

True they don't look like your average knife but normally there is a big placard next to it showing a person severing the sea painter with it.

I see it largely as a failure of adequate training for the crew.

Regards,

Tom A.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Herman30, Phaedrus), 405 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.