The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#205654 - 08/06/10 02:39 AM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: wolfepack]
sak45acp Offline
Stranger

Loc: ct
14"-16" flat wrecking bars are available at home improvement stores, look for the "Wunderbar" or some such. They are flat and meant more for prying than anything, but they would be good for the vending machines, prying open building doors, locks, car doors, busting windows if needed, fending off dogs or two legged varmints if you don't go with the walking stick, etc. They weigh about a pound or less and should fit in your pack without taking up too much space.

#205662 - 08/06/10 04:16 PM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: wolfepack]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
*** shelter ***
4x8 tarp - coghlan's all purpose thermal blanket
emergency bivy - american medical
survival blanket - american medical large heat sheet
mosquito head net
100' parachute cord
sleeping pad (with stuff sack)

A lightweight single man tent would be much more substantial, such as

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/aztec-rapido-tent-p-38.html

The modestly priced Aztec Rapido weighs in at 1.6kg but gives lots of space, protection from the elements (wind and heavy rain) and some privacy. Lighter weight single man tents are available just around the 1kg mark but are somewhat more expensive.

Quote:
*** food/water ***
food bars (3x datrex bars)
2 ltr's water
water filter - aquamira frontier
water purification tabs - potable aqua
3x drink mix

metal cup - gsi 18oz (fits bottom of water bottle)
water bottle - nalgene 1 litre

3x drink mix
4x tea bags
3x bouillon cubes
spoon - alphalight 7075-t6
fork - lexan
esbit stove with 3x tablets
3' aluminum foil

A more substantial water filter could prove invaluable in an Earth Quake situation, such as the Lifesaver bottle as long term potable water might not be available for many weeks.

http://www.lifesaverbottledirect.com/

3 Esbit tablets although very lightweight will only boil around 1-1.5 litres of water. A gas cartridge stove and pot systems such as

http://www.planetfear.com/articles/The_2009_Mountain_Marathon_Kit_List_1037.html#csp

will allow approx 10-15 times the volume of boiled water for an additional 250-300 grams weight.

Perhaps throw in a couple of these into your GHB

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Spirits/Greenalls_Gin_And_Tonic_250ml.html

Helps you relax after a potentially very stressful day.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/06/10 06:54 PM)

#205666 - 08/06/10 06:39 PM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Here's my $0.02 worth.

Remove shampoo, use bar soap period. I hate it when they leak all over.

Add swimmer's goggles for eye protection. They're small and lightweight. You have N95's but you may need some dust protection.

Double your number of garbage bags. If you need to go swimming it would be better to double bag your gear. You never know when the other two could come in handy for a multitude of things.

Consider adding a couple of aspirin tablets. With the stress of such an event you never know when you might need them to survive a heart attack. I'm over 50 too and I always carry a couple, just in case.

Overall I like your thinking. As a parallel, I am putting together something similar. But I have one advantage in that I have a car that will serve as a rescue ark. My office bag will be strictly used for getting out of the building and to my car.

#205668 - 08/06/10 09:15 PM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: stevenpd]
wolfepack Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA
Originally Posted By: stevenpd
Here's my $0.02 worth.

Remove shampoo, use bar soap period. I hate it when they leak all over.

Add swimmer's goggles for eye protection. They're small and lightweight. You have N95's but you may need some dust protection.

Double your number of garbage bags. If you need to go swimming it would be better to double bag your gear. You never know when the other two could come in handy for a multitude of things.

Consider adding a couple of aspirin tablets. With the stress of such an event you never know when you might need them to survive a heart attack. I'm over 50 too and I always carry a couple, just in case.

Overall I like your thinking. As a parallel, I am putting together something similar. But I have one advantage in that I have a car that will serve as a rescue ark. My office bag will be strictly used for getting out of the building and to my car.

Had not considered the leakage factor on the shampoo. Have been reconsidering the whole personal hygiene kit, but just using bar soap would be an obvious choice.

Hadn't thought about swim goggles. I added some work goggles to my "use and leave at the office" equipment, but hadn't really thought about uses outside the office. I like the swim goggles better than the work goggles. Less space, less weight, better fit. Maybe more likely to fog up, but maybe not.

You'd go for four of the large (50 gal) garbage bags? I know they have a multitude of uses, but they are heavy. At least the ones I have. My two 50 gal, two 30 gal, 6 zip ties and few wire-ties weigh in at a pound already. Did you have other uses in mind?

I also had not thought about pure aspirin as a heart-attack preventer. Would you just use if you felt you having a heart-attack or take a tablet every four hours as a preventative? I had planned on taking some ibuprofen before I started out to help with muscle soreness. Wonder if aspirin would accomplish the same thing and serve a dual-purpose in helping the heart. Ibuprofen and Tylenol are the only things I have tried for preventive muscle pain. Maybe I'll give aspirin a try next time and see if it seems to work as well.

Glad to hear you will have access to your car. That gives you a lot of options. Thanks for $.02 worth. (Hmmm. Wonder with inflation, how long it will be $20 worth.)

#205678 - 08/07/10 12:45 AM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: wolfepack]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
Consider the trash bags as a trade-off for the shampoo. I've used them as a ground cloth, poncho, tarp, waterproof cover for things to stay dry, and someplace to put wet things. I've even used them as waders crossing a stream. You could use it for a rain catcher, solar water still, gaiters, or waterproof socks. You're only limited to the materials at hand and your imagination.

As far as the aspirin goes it is for emergency use only at the onset of symptoms. My pain relievers of choice are ibuprofen and naproxen. I take naproxen before I do something that I haven't done in a long time. It reduces down time for me. Ibuprofen for general aches and pains. Acetaminophen doesn't do anything for me.

Ask your doctor if he thinks an aspirin regimen is appropriate for you. This goes along with any other medications that you may need.

With inflation I think it is down to $0.002 now.

Originally Posted By: wolfepack
Had not considered the leakage factor on the shampoo. Have been reconsidering the whole personal hygiene kit, but just using bar soap would be an obvious choice.

Hadn't thought about swim goggles. I added some work goggles to my "use and leave at the office" equipment, but hadn't really thought about uses outside the office. I like the swim goggles better than the work goggles. Less space, less weight, better fit. Maybe more likely to fog up, but maybe not.

You'd go for four of the large (50 gal) garbage bags? I know they have a multitude of uses, but they are heavy. At least the ones I have. My two 50 gal, two 30 gal, 6 zip ties and few wire-ties weigh in at a pound already. Did you have other uses in mind?

I also had not thought about pure aspirin as a heart-attack preventer. Would you just use if you felt you having a heart-attack or take a tablet every four hours as a preventative? I had planned on taking some ibuprofen before I started out to help with muscle soreness. Wonder if aspirin would accomplish the same thing and serve a dual-purpose in helping the heart. Ibuprofen and Tylenol are the only things I have tried for preventive muscle pain. Maybe I'll give aspirin a try next time and see if it seems to work as well.

Glad to hear you will have access to your car. That gives you a lot of options. Thanks for $.02 worth. (Hmmm. Wonder with inflation, how long it will be $20 worth.)

#205698 - 08/07/10 03:44 PM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: stevenpd]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

A few comments on your first aid supplies. While I’m a fan of the Adventure Medical Kits and have several of them including the larger fundamentals kit that I keep in my SUV. I’ve beefed all of my kits up with additional blood stopping padding and non stick pads of various sizes, as if you have to change the dressing you are definitely going to want the non-stick next to the wound for comfort and even more importantly so you don’t get the bleeding started again. I’d also add at least one of the Sam Splints and a roll of coban, vet wrap or an ace type bandage to keep it in place, along with a small bottle of Betadine. I prefer the vet wrap or coban as they are much easier to tailor to the exact need than the ace types. With all of my kits, with the exception of what I carry in my pocket, I’ve put the AMK of whatever size into dry stuff sacs of various sizes so the kit and the additional supplies are all together-- not scattered around my vehicle or pack.

I too live in W Washington but in one of the smaller towns south of Seattle and also have a couple of dogs. When I leave the house for anything and don’t take the dogs, I always make sure to leave at least two water sources for them with one secured to the wall. Only one bowl (even a large one) can be spilled. If possible try to find a neighbor that will check on your dog in an emergency situation.

Since I’m retired I keep my get home supplies with packs in my SUV. What I would actually take to get home if roads were not passable, would depend on how far I had to hike and the weather conditions. Glad you started this thread as it’s something all of us in earthquake country need to be thinking of.

One other point re pry bars, I also keep one hidden away outside my house to get in if the doors are jammed. As well as a couple inside the house with one close to the bed. And don’t forget sturdy shoes and leather gloves next to the bed as well. I had some broken glass (picture frames) after the Nisqually quake.

#205706 - 08/07/10 06:25 PM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: rebwa]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Most bar soaps aren't very suitable for hair.

There is a natural Seed brand bar shampoo. A friend found some in NYC and liked it, but she forgot where she got it.

Get a bar of Dr. Bronner's natural soap from a health food store or co-op and try it as a shampoo at home. If it works, put a new one in your kit.

Don't use aspirin as a preventative, it thins the blood and hinders coagulating. An earthquake is not the time to have clotting issues. (I mean this differently from taking your doctor's advice about an aspirin regime against heart and stroke problems.)

Some extra stuff is not a big issue. You should be stopping along the way to rest periodically, a good time to lighten the load if you need to. You can base your decisions on what IS, rather than trying to foretell WHAT MIGHT BE. Leave your discards in plain sight -- someone else may have a use for them.

You will probably end up using some of your gear for reasons totally unforeseen before the disaster. Or the disaster you planned for is not the disaster that has happened. A big quake won't have the same issues as Mt. Rainier blowing her top. Be prepared to jump in different directions.

Sue

#205722 - 08/08/10 01:54 AM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: rebwa]
wolfepack Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: rebwa
A few comments on your first aid supplies. While I’m a fan of the Adventure Medical Kits and have several of them including the larger fundamentals kit that I keep in my SUV. I’ve beefed all of my kits up with additional blood stopping padding and non stick pads of various sizes, as if you have to change the dressing you are definitely going to want the non-stick next to the wound for comfort and even more importantly so you don’t get the bleeding started again. I’d also add at least one of the Sam Splints and a roll of coban, vet wrap or an ace type bandage to keep it in place, along with a small bottle of Betadine. I prefer the vet wrap or coban as they are much easier to tailor to the exact need than the ace types. With all of my kits, with the exception of what I carry in my pocket, I’ve put the AMK of whatever size into dry stuff sacs of various sizes so the kit and the additional supplies are all together-- not scattered around my vehicle or pack.

I too live in W Washington but in one of the smaller towns south of Seattle and also have a couple of dogs. When I leave the house for anything and don’t take the dogs, I always make sure to leave at least two water sources for them with one secured to the wall. Only one bowl (even a large one) can be spilled. If possible try to find a neighbor that will check on your dog in an emergency situation.

Since I’m retired I keep my get home supplies with packs in my SUV. What I would actually take to get home if roads were not passable, would depend on how far I had to hike and the weather conditions. Glad you started this thread as it’s something all of us in earthquake country need to be thinking of.

One other point re pry bars, I also keep one hidden away outside my house to get in if the doors are jammed. As well as a couple inside the house with one close to the bed. And don’t forget sturdy shoes and leather gloves next to the bed as well. I had some broken glass (picture frames) after the Nisqually quake.

Thanks for the suggestions on improving the medical kits. I think I am at about the limit of how big/heavy my GHB FAK is. Also at the limit on how much money I want to sink into the the FAK at work for use by everybody.

I have dual water sources for my dog as well. Triple if you include the bowl designed to catch rainwater. However, I had not thought of securing one to a wall. Seems obvious now that you mention it, but that is why I read these forums.

A pry bar stored outside the house. Another obvious idea I had not thought of. I have several inside the house (including one under the bed along with flashlight, gloves, hardhat, dust mask, eye guards, shoes, socks, etc.), but not one outside.

Thanks for posting your suggestions!

#205723 - 08/08/10 01:59 AM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: Susan]
wolfepack Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: Susan
Most bar soaps aren't very suitable for hair.

There is a natural Seed brand bar shampoo. A friend found some in NYC and liked it, but she forgot where she got it.

Get a bar of Dr. Bronner's natural soap from a health food store or co-op and try it as a shampoo at home. If it works, put a new one in your kit.

Don't use aspirin as a preventative, it thins the blood and hinders coagulating. An earthquake is not the time to have clotting issues. (I mean this differently from taking your doctor's advice about an aspirin regime against heart and stroke problems.)

Some extra stuff is not a big issue. You should be stopping along the way to rest periodically, a good time to lighten the load if you need to. You can base your decisions on what IS, rather than trying to foretell WHAT MIGHT BE. Leave your discards in plain sight -- someone else may have a use for them.

You will probably end up using some of your gear for reasons totally unforeseen before the disaster. Or the disaster you planned for is not the disaster that has happened. A big quake won't have the same issues as Mt. Rainier blowing her top. Be prepared to jump in different directions.

Sue

The Dr. Bonners soap sounds great. I'll look for some.

I like your views on gear being used for things you have not even thought of. Of course it fits with my own general views, though I am trying to be more open-minded.

#205733 - 08/08/10 01:41 PM Re: Seattle GHB [Re: wolfepack]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Wolfepack,

Your get home bag is well thought out but have you thought out carefully what you actually always carry on your person if you were either trapped in the building or couldn’t get back to where you keep your bag when making your exit? I could see where a whistle, small light with signaling capabilities, bandanna, knife, multi-tool, light or headlamp, small pocket able FAK and even a heat sheet could be very useful if trapped in a building or a person had to escape without the larger pack. And your cell phone which may or may not work--probably wouldn't but miracles do happen. If you had to escape without the larger pack everything that’s in a well thought out PSK and other items always on your person could be a real lifesaver. Not trying to change the topic of your thread and without knowing the layout and routine of your workplace and the chances of being able to access the pack. Just another aspect to consider.

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 283 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.