Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#205000 - 07/22/10 01:46 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
To answer a few comments.

1. Yes, it really is still pocket sized.

2. No, a Heatsheets won't fit in it. See above. My philosophy in this regard is that bulk is bad, compact is good. If you want to carry a Heatsheets (as I do), then better to have it split into two packages for easier carry.

The PSP+ isn't for everyone, it wasn't designed for everyone. Some won't spend that much (although it will cost less than MSRP at street prices), some would prefer to make their own, which I totally respect. For others, we did it for them and the price is a fair value for what you get.

Oh come on! $80 is nothing for that kit.

PSP+ in one pocket, Heatsheet/bin bags/plastic sheet and powerbar's in the other. SAK/Multitool lanyarded to your belt.

In a survival situation I for one would kill for that much kit.

#205007 - 07/22/10 02:59 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: JerryFountain]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Will the pouch and/or the water bottles be available for separate purchase?

I don't know which water pouch Doug specified for the PSP+, but here's one you can add http://bepreparedtosurvive.com/Aqua-Pouch%20-%201%20Liter%20Water%20Storage%20Container.htm . I haven't tried it myself.

#205052 - 07/23/10 10:59 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: chaosmagnet]
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Most folks reading these forums are probably not the target market for the PSP+. Still... to try and cobble together the same items I have to believe you would at least break even, if not wind up spending even more on your own version. Shipping costs always seem to get you when you start looking for individual kit components.

#205061 - 07/24/10 12:47 AM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: JerryFountain]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
Will the pouch and/or the water bottles be available for separate purchase? I already have 4 standard kits upgraded to the + but my pouches are stuffed and my water bottles (milk storage pouches) are only 1/2 liter.

I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+, hopefully available by September, but as always, take any delivery date with a grain of salt. <~>

And, no, I don't know what the cost will be, that has not yet been determined. Once I know, we'll be posting the information here.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#205070 - 07/24/10 04:38 AM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Perhaps you could get together with John McCann,& Get his Aqua-Pouchs added to the bundle.I have used them,& they are the best thing going for 100% Reliability/Compactness! No Affiliation,just an Elated Consumer!

#205086 - 07/24/10 06:55 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Richlacal]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
Perhaps you could get together with John McCann,& Get his Aqua-Pouchs added to the bundle.I have used them,& they are the best thing going for 100% Reliability/Compactness! No Affiliation,just an Elated Consumer!

Unfortunately I lost any respect for John D McCann because of this comment:

He carries a folding knife as a backup but deems the popular Swiss Army knife impractical. “What am I going to use a Phillips screwdriver for in the woods?” he asked. “I’ve never had to unscrew a tree.”

John may be, in many things, a most excellent instructor but in that he is completely wrong.

You carry a SAK (111mm locking for choice) not for the screwdriver but for the saw!

Take it from someone who has been there and done that:
If your cold, wet, tired and hungry, you don't want to be trying to chop through a branch. Accident waiting to happen.

Sawing through it is a) much safer and b) more efficent (fewer calories expended).

#205090 - 07/24/10 08:43 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Ah but Leigh, he has gone on to state that he DID find a use for that philips head by grinding it into a Marlin Spike. That's ingenuity if you're not going to be unscrewing trees.

And carry a decent dedicated folding saw. Redundancy. SAK is last call. Is a Sak your 1st choice of carry for a blade when going out? Then why should it be for the saw blade?

#205091 - 07/24/10 08:51 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Doug_Ritter]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+

Will this be including the new larger bag as well?

#205092 - 07/24/10 09:38 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: T_Co]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: T_Co
Ah but Leigh, he has gone on to state that he DID find a use for that philips head by grinding it into a Marlin Spike. That's ingenuity if you're not going to be unscrewing trees.

And carry a decent dedicated folding saw. Redundancy. SAK is last call. Is a Sak your 1st choice of carry for a blade when going out? Then why should it be for the saw blade?

Yes it is. SwissChamp for E.D.C. Locking One Handed Trekker if I'm going away from civilisation.

In my experience, the locking SAK's are more than amply robust for most likely short term survival scenario's.

Saw blade because it makes shelter building much easier. All my kit recommendations are based around the presumption that one has lost every thing except what is either in one's pockets, or clipped to one's belt. As is the PSP+.

Obviously one would like to have more. Like a tent, axe, sleeping bag, water filter etc. But..... frown

#205093 - 07/24/10 09:41 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: T_Co]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: T_Co
I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+

Will this be including the new larger bag as well?

I think you mean the new pouch for the PSP+, and, yes, it will.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.