The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#205419 - 08/02/10 04:12 AM Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Thoughts on this??

Facing dwindling attendance , park officials want to draw new Canadians and children of urban families into the great outdoors. And the demand is there – new programs that gently ease fledgling campers into the experience have had a positive response, inducting newcomers into the quintessentially Canadian world of canoes, sleeping bags and black flies.

The number of visitors to Canada’s national parks has dropped 22 per cent from 1995, while the country’s population has increased nearly 18 per cent – prompting Parks Canada to ask why. One realization: Not enough attention has been paid to the needs of the nation’s transforming demographic.

John Lubbock

#205421 - 08/02/10 04:30 AM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: Teslinhiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I hope every new family that takes to the Great Outdoors,will also have the knack to Clean up after themselves!Here in California,Pristine Wilderness is getting further,& further away,Sad but True!

#205422 - 08/02/10 04:34 AM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: Teslinhiker]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
add in the Americans who can't afford a simple canoe trip now that the fees have jumped to $20 a night.a ten day trip for my wife and i would be over $400 with the other fees and cost of passports.
what was a nice affordable outdoor vacation for us is now gone.deep pocket fly-in fisherman seem like the only ones welcome now.

#205425 - 08/02/10 05:17 AM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Man!That price almost come's out to Hunting Mulies(Mule Deer)in California!Conservation is Truly Expensive,however I think,If I were to pay that amount for a Camping/Canoeing adventure in Canada,& I lived in Minnesota,I'd be very tempted to wash my dirty drawers/socks riverside,on my way out!

#205436 - 08/02/10 01:59 PM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
add in the Americans who can't afford a simple canoe trip now that the fees have jumped to $20 a night.a ten day trip for my wife and i would be over $400 with the other fees and cost of passports.
what was a nice affordable outdoor vacation for us is now gone.deep pocket fly-in fisherman seem like the only ones welcome now.

I have not paid for camping or fees in National Parks for years. I agree it is very expensive. Even the Provincial Parks and many of the more popular Forest Recreation Sites are expensive. These fees range from 18.00 to 38.00 per night. That said, there are many FSR sites that are free....but depending where you are, they attract the people who have a tendency to drink and party all hours of the day.

Needless to say, all our camping is freely done on public use crown (government) land and there are millions of acres to choose that perfect campsite from...with no crowds and partiers.

John Lubbock

#205439 - 08/02/10 02:05 PM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: Teslinhiker]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
The number of visitors to Canada’s national parks has dropped 22 per cent from 1995, while the country’s population has increased nearly 18 per cent – prompting Parks Canada to ask why. One realization: Not enough attention has been paid to the needs of the nation’s transforming demographic.

Quote:
“We have to change with it,” Ms. Wilson said. “We have to understand better what type of equipment people need, what type of instruction, what language they need to communicate in, how to package the programs on the Web.”

Are Canadians going soft and flabby like the British are going??

God forbid if some bright spark within the National Parks decides that Wireless Internet access is essential so their paying customers can watch;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCPSh47gHz8

on their iPads. frown

Peter Potter doesn't want to go camping.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/02/10 02:33 PM)

#205444 - 08/02/10 03:49 PM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: Teslinhiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Thoughts on this??

Facing dwindling attendance , park officials want to draw new Canadians and children of urban families into the great outdoors. And the demand is there – new programs that gently ease fledgling campers into the experience have had a positive response, inducting newcomers into the quintessentially Canadian world of canoes, sleeping bags and black flies.

Part of the reason is the decline in travellers from the US because of the inflation of the CDN $ and downturn in the US economy... But mostly its because we are more urban than ever before and kids have been brought up on all things electronic and not enough outdoors. Since this story is Toronto-centric, you could add that Toronto has been heavily influenced with immigrants from other countries who don't have a background or tradition in camping. The challenge is to educate them about the fun part of being outdoors instead of living in a concrete jungle.
PS. "For Better of For Worse" comic strip just finished a storyline of the family who went out to Northern Ontario for 2 weeks of roughing it. Interesting read.

#205446 - 08/02/10 04:10 PM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Many new Canadian immigrants don't have any camping and outdoorsy pursuits as part of their culture or experience. Plus, they are overwhelmingly urban. So I suppose Parks Canada is trying to bridge the gap.

Will it work? Who knows. But it does take a strong constituency of voters who value our parks system to hold the line against creeping "development." Otherwise, political will and funding erode away. So maybe that's the end game.

#205463 - 08/02/10 08:41 PM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I suspect that some of the downturn in attendance has to do with perceptions of how dangerous the parks can be. It is like what happened to beach attendance when the movie "Jaws" came out. The parks and wilderness areas just don't make the news unless someone gets lunched on by a cougar or bear.

Some time back I told a friend I was going out to a nearby wilderness area and he asked if I had a gun. I said I own one but didn't bring it. He tried to get me to take the shotgun he had in his truck. He meant well but the impression he got from the news was that the woods were dangerous with people getting attacked by wild animals all the time. I tried to explain that odds are I was far safer in the woods than I was in town.

#205464 - 08/02/10 09:20 PM Re: Parks Canada all-inclusive camping packages [Re: Teslinhiker]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
I agree it is very expensive.

I can't decipher the fees, so to camp there, you have to pay entry fee, camping fee, fire permit, dump station permit, fishing permit, and whatever else permit I missed and they are all per day? No wonder people don't go anymore.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.