The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#205356 - 07/31/10 06:50 PM Re: I survived my camping trip! [Re: KenK]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think a saw and a knife are more useful than an axe a lot of the time, at least for survival applications.

#205380 - 08/01/10 05:03 AM Re: I survived my camping trip! [Re: Phaedrus]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
I actually agree with Doug's comments as pointed out by Ken and with your comments Phaedrus.

They are dangerous tools and do require respect as well as experience to be used safely.

I have seen what an axe does to a foot. It is almost as bad as what a chainsaw does. (not my feet, thank you)
Seeing a couple of axe cuts is one reason I dislike seeing all these short handled axes being sold these days.
Handles in cruiser length are not safe for felling or splitting axes just because if you miss then the axe head is going straight for your lower leg.

It is also true that you don't need axes or machetes most of the time.
If I had to choose between packing a small swede saw into a kit or an axe, then I would likely choose the light thin bladed swede saw instead of the axe or a machete

Yet there are times and places where axes and the big knife machetes do belong.
Even the cruiser axe has a place and I used to use one quite a bit.

#205384 - 08/01/10 05:46 AM Re: I survived my camping trip! [Re: chickenlittle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
If you do carry an axe, Ray Mears tutorial on the axe should be required viewing.

#205424 - 08/02/10 05:04 AM Re: I survived my camping trip! [Re: KenK]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
+1 on ponchos.

I've got my old US Army one, and it does really well. I like the fact that I can snap it together lengthwise (making a tube) and crawl in for an emergency shelter if need be. Being a hiker, the $0.99 ones make me uneasy because I've seen them shred too many times when people are going through brush.

I too have found rain suits to be just too warm. In winter or serious weather they're better, but for hiking in decent weather, the poncho is the way to go, and it'll cover your gear as well as you.

Good reminders on safety with sharps. Thanks for the post.

HJ

#205560 - 08/04/10 02:12 AM Re: I survived my camping trip! [Re: KenK]
nicoledc109 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: KenK
If your plan was to test survival gear, then it sounds like you may need to rethink your gear. A machete is too big (and dangerous) a blade for a survival kit, and a 99 cent plastic poncho is simply not a sufficient shelter - I'd rather use the 55 gallon liners. I do think shelter is the most overlooked aspect of a survival kit. Fishing is the most overlooked aspect (some humor intended here).

You may want to reread the recommendations in Doug's ETS Gear section.

Unless you've had days and days of rain and everything is soaking wet, you really shouldn't need to be splitting wood - at least not in U.S. forests. They have plenty of tiny wood to start and maintain fires, especially if you're not at a heavily used campground, where the woods are already picked over.

That cut on your finger could have cost you your life if you'd been in a real emergency.

If you plan was to camp - for fun, well, then you were seriously SERIOUSLY under-geared.
Thanks for sharing.

#206094 - 08/13/10 07:07 PM Re: I survived my camping trip! [Re: Phaedrus]
red Offline

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Unfortunately, just as the fire really started cranking the sky began to darken. The rumbling of thunder was getting closer. It became obvious I was gonna get wet, and soon. It wasn't much but I did have one of those $.99 disposable ponchos with me. It was pretty thin but unlike a can liner it did have a hood.

I think it was in Hood's woods or some video I learned to cut the 55 gal bag along the bottom scene from the corner just a bit. That way, only your face is exposed to the elements. Don't bother cutting arm holes since you want to keep as waterproof as possible.

My contractor grade bags are less than .99 and I like their multitude of uses. I always have two.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.