Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#195810 - 02/13/10 03:37 AM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: Russ]
buckeye Offline
life is about the journey

Loc: Ohio
At 120 dB, do the come with a set of earplugs grin

I have no interest in or affiliation to any of the products or services I may mention. Should I ever, I will clearly state so.

#195931 - 02/15/10 10:38 PM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: Doug_Ritter]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
Size is not always as important as other considerations. We're planning a canoe trip this spring and I'm looking for the best whistle to clip to each PFD. The Sharx and Sonik Blast have higher sound ratings than the Micro, according to this chart. Your thoughts?

In our highly unscientific initial tests, the new whistles were on par with the Storm. Very loud!

When you say "new whistles" ... are you referring to the Fox 40 Rescue Howler that comes in the PSP's?

Also, maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a difference between the Fox 40 Rescue Howler that comes in the PSP kit and what people are selling as the Fox 40 Micro whistle (such as those sold by countycomm.com)?

#195955 - 02/16/10 12:59 PM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: KenK]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: KenK
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: ZenEngineer
Size is not always as important as other considerations. We're planning a canoe trip this spring and I'm looking for the best whistle to clip to each PFD. The Sharx and Sonik Blast have higher sound ratings than the Micro, according to this chart. Your thoughts?

In our highly unscientific initial tests, the new whistles were on par with the Storm. Very loud!

When you say "new whistles" ... are you referring to the Fox 40 Rescue Howler that comes in the PSP's?

Also, maybe this is a stupid question, but is there a difference between the Fox 40 Rescue Howler that comes in the PSP kit and what people are selling as the Fox 40 Micro whistle (such as those sold by countycomm.com)?

Taking about the new Sharx and Sonik Blast. The RescueHowler and Micro are the same.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#195995 - 02/16/10 09:08 PM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: T_Co]
ToddG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boston, MA
I picked one of these up from Tad Gear. They are, in fact, shockingly loud...made the mistake of giving it a too indoors...the wife was NOT amused and my ears were ringing

#197275 - 03/05/10 03:36 AM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Mine arrived a few weeks ago. It is loud and for me it was easier to blow than the Fox 40 Micro. While the Micro is thinner and will pack in a thinner kit. However, for applications where you really need a whistle to get attention, IMO the Sharx is a great answer.

#205182 - 07/27/10 04:55 PM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: Russ]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Got the all black model this last Friday. Made the mistake of blowing it indoors as well. My ears rang for about 2 minutes and the dog hid from me from me for the better part of the day. Larger for sure, takes up about 2/3 to 3/5 of an Altoid tin with Very little room to spare above or below it. All in all if you have the space, this is an awesome whistle. I just held it in my mouth and exhaled and got more than an audible chirp that could be heard from a distance, and would carry even further with very little more effort, if you fill your lungs to blow plugs your ears.

Edited by T_Co (07/27/10 04:56 PM)

#205247 - 07/29/10 12:54 AM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: T_Co]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I was very impressed with the Micro after purchasing Doug’s kit and playing around with it. I picked up the two whistle set of Micro’s from AMK and wear one on a breakaway lanyard all the time. It’s just a nice piece of gear and with it’s size really no excuse not to have it with you all the time. Bigger and maybe louder isn’t going to do a person any good unless they have it on them! I'll stick with the Micro as I always have it with me and being a female a whistle is something that could be used to attract attention if attacked too.

#205249 - 07/29/10 03:12 AM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: rebwa]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

My feeling is that for a larger kit, bailout bag or car/boat kit, the larger whistles are fine. given the available room even a Storm whistle, a fairly huge chunk of plastic, might be the way to go. Large and in a bright color you can hang it on the outside where the bright color helps you find the kit.

For personal carry, where whatever you carry needs to be small enough to not get in your way and rounded/flat enough not to beat you to death if you fall on it, the Fox Micro would seem to be the better choice. Yes, you give up some loudness but being small and less annoying to carry your more likely to have it on you when you need it.

The Fox Sharx is an interesting compromise bigger than the Micro by quite a bit it is still a fraction of the effective volume of a Storm whistle. I don't think it displaces the Fox Micro because the Micro rides well on a lanyard around the neck or hung from the front of a life jacket or slipped into a pocket.Anything larger or bulkier won't do as well.

Given that the Fox Sharx is about as loud as the Storm it might replace the Storm whistle in some roles. Then again there is something very comforting about the relatively huge and bulky Storm. Using one you get the feeling that if a whistle will save you the Storm will do it.

#205679 - 08/07/10 01:00 AM Re: New GRIPPY Fox 40 Micro [Re: Art_in_FL]
Hookpunch Offline

just got a Fox Sonik, I replaced an Acme T2000 on my keyring with it because it is smaller and sleeker.

It seems to be louder than the T2000

The Sharx seems a bit redundant, the Sonik is rated as loud and is quite a bit smaller.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.