Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#204958 - 07/21/10 12:09 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ponder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: ponder
When ever I see different survival lists, I like to relate them to someones experience... look up deaths that occurred during that activity in history. How is your list? What would have changed the outcome?
Excellent. That is absolutely the way to evaluate a list: Take a look at a real life situation. Would your list have helped? What would you drop? What would you add? What did you fail to anticipate?

An example is the "saga" of James Kim from California. Evaluate your list relative to his death and proceed.
My list is a hiking list, but let's see how it would stack up for the Kim family on their car trip. If you look at the original post, item 25 is a PLB. James Kim deploys the PLB, a 406 MHz signal indicating his identity and his GPS coordinates goes to a SARsat which notifies the AFRCC, the AFRCC notifies local authorities who proceed to the general vicinity and home in on the 121.5 MHz homing beacon, the entire family is rescued, and a minor note is posted in the local newspaper. I think my list would have done the Kim family a lot of good, yes?

Now, let's artificially restrict them to the first 20 items on the list, would that have helped? A map is the first item on my list. Carrying a map instead of just MapQuest instructions might have kept them out of the situation in the first place. A map might also have made Mr. Kim think twice about hoofing it out (although why he didn't just backtrack down the road they came in on I'll never know). A map could also have directed him to the lodge nearby. I can't think of anything in the top 20 (or top 30) that would be harmful, although his not filing a trip plan before leaving and the fact that searchers didn't know where to search would have been hard to overcome.

I can't think of too many things that would have helped him that aren't on my list except maybe a Ham Radio or a Satellite Phone, both of whose functions are covered by the PLB. And, please, I mean no disrespect to Mr. Kim or his family; I use his story in an effort to prevent what took his life from recurring.

What, if anything, would you have recommended for the Kim family that is not in my top thirty?

If you are fortunate to have some personal experiences, than the list is more than academic.
A wilderness SAR incident took my father's life. I've had two serious wilderness SAR incidents happen to me, either of which could have easily resulted in the loss of my life. My interest is far from academic.

HJ

#204959 - 07/21/10 12:15 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

Great list and wonderful discussion. Lots to think about here. I try to keep it light, partly because I am usually carrying other heavy stuff (rocks!). My lists are similar to yours, but I made mine up from a Ritter PSK (enhanced before they came that way, now sometimes with a Mk 5), a modified AMK .3 ultralight FAK and a Heatsheet. I like starting with the kit because it makes the cost less, now that there are kits worth buying (Thanks a lot Doug!!). There are lots of other things in my pack that can be used, but these are the SURVIVAL items. The others are day to day items. Some of your list (i.e. the watch) I would not have thought to put on a list, because I wear one all the time. In today's world lots of people don't and it is good to put on the list. I would put the PLB on the first list, I think getting found is right up there with hydration & shelter.

For a two way radio, the primary one to consider is an aviation band unit. Know the local center (traffic control) frequency and you are seldom out of range of an airliner for more than a few minutes in the continental US. I carry one for work and have checked it in the deep wilderness over much of the US. Only a problem in Northern Canada and Alaska. I put it far behind a PLB (plus it is larger and heavier) but I carried one long before the PLB was around.

One item I take out is the backup compass. I carry one for work (a Brunton Pocket Transit) and can use lots of other things (including my watch) to find direction. I also know that if I need a backup compass I probably should be staying put and waiting for rescue :-(.

The best,

JerryF

#204960 - 07/21/10 12:17 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I have friends allergic to various plants, so they always bring anti-histamines. On a trip to "mosquito hell country", we found out the hard way that having sufficient number of mosquito stings will cause your body to react to those stings: They swell and become quite more painful than usual, and you may even have "fewer shivering". For the most unlucky guys we're talking several hundred stings per person... First they washed off all mosquito repellent with an involuntary swim in the river, then they spent an hour in bug infested vegetation fixing their canoe... Luckily, one of them figured this was quite similar to his allergic reaction to whatever plant he's sensitive to, and administered some anti-histamine. Quite effective.

Anti-histamine is also great for preventing or at least lessen hangovers, which is one of those things allergic people usually learn pretty quick.
I think my recommendation might be as follows: an antihistamine, Imodium, and an anti-inflammatory as well as any important prescription meds that one might be taking. I also almost always pack salt, which while not exactly a medicine does make a sort of "poor man's Gatorade". I just grab an extra salt packet at a fast food joint an bring one or two along.

HJ

#204962 - 07/21/10 12:35 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Lono
I will disagree with you both on the priority for water purification, particularly for a 72 hour kit. Within 2 minutes of my doorstep I have Lake Washington - you'd think I have plenty of water in a pinch. While hiking there are not many places this side of the Cascades where you are very distant from a potable water source. However, after an earthquake, Lake Washington will be fouled by a damaged oil pipeline, and also likely by sewage line ruptures - sewer mainline for my neighborhood crosses the Mercer Slough a mile south of here, approximately at the epicenter of the Seattle Fault zone. If that's the case, drinking the water could create bigger issues than giardia. As for purifying water while hiking, the size of MicroPur tablets is miniscule, and if you have had giardia (I have not) you wouldn't want it facing your future, even if your focus was only on the next 72 hours - because the diarrhea etc is prolonged. Potable water and a mechanism to purify it is an essential IMO.
Well, maybe I need to bump up water purification priority up a bit. Do recall that this list is a hiking kit not a general 72 hour home kit or car kit or something. Water purification would go WAY up in priority in town. I think boiling becomes a much higher priority in a disaster scenario since boiling is about as effective as one can get of a water treatment method -- except for things like the oil pipeline you mention. Also, in places like the Pac NW or in any cooler season or place, boiling to make a hot drink is of inestimable value. Tea hasn't been called the mountaineer's friend for lo these many years without reason.

HJ

#204971 - 07/21/10 07:06 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

What, if anything, would you have recommended for the Kim family that is not in my top thirty?

Having some "extra" on a car trip is somewhat different than packing sensible for a hiking trip... For a drive through winter mountains, how about loads of warm clothes, sleeping bags, lots of food and a stove? Clothing, food and possibly a stove (if that's how you plan to treat water) is on your list, just bring more of it.

Actually, this tragic story demonstrates that the family actually fared pretty well (relatively - I'm sure they felt utterly miserable, but they were alive and unhurt), except for the one who had to go on a poorly planned and executed rescue mission.

More about the clothing: If you absolutely insist on leaving the road to plow through unknown amounts of snow in unknown territory (short answer: Don't!), then at least choose clothing appropriate for bashing in the snow. Gaiters plus clothes that won't soak up immediately and are at least wind proof, and good boots. Membrane clothing (such as goretex) are excellent for wading through snow, while your typical casual wear are possibly the worst. But in essence, this point is all covered by the term clothing appropriate for the season.

For me, this story shows me that the urge to DO SOMETHING can kill you. Your average male will do whatever he can and spare nothing to save his family. Sometimes, the best thing is just to sit tight and essentially do nothing. Of course, while you do nothing you do your best to implement the thousands of small tricks that can make life just a tiny bit easier. Such as a more comfortable cushion, a bit more insulation, a new way of melting water...

Which brings us to the most important part of what you bring with you: Your brain. The mindset summarized in the STOP acronym and the British equivalent make yourself some tea are extremely important.

#204973 - 07/21/10 02:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

And propane heaters. smile You can bring a lot in a car, can't you?

Still, for a hiking list, I think this list does OK for the Kim's car trip. A map and a PLB are pretty good things to have along.

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Which brings us to the most important part of what you bring with you: Your brain.
Absent one's brain, there's very little that any list can do to help.

Thanks for all your good comments,

HJ

#205220 - 07/28/10 05:44 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
TANSTAF1 Offline

Loc: Born in ME, in exile in MA
I am new here, but want to add a +1 for some means of potable water. I was looking at the Doug Ritter PSK and noted that the only method seemed to be using the aluminum foil to boil water which is OK in cold weather but who wants to drink it without waiting for it to cool down if it 90+ degrees outside. As for Micropur tablets, you need to wait 4 hours and still need something to put it in although I suppose the survival pouch would work or whatever you brought your initial water supply in.

But when your initial water supply runs out and you don't have time to boil or disinfect, what do you all think of the Frontier water filter straw - it weighs 1 oz.

#205222 - 07/28/10 06:22 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: TANSTAF1]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'm going to buy one of those Frontier straws to try it out. It looks to be a pretty handy option, although I'd want a backup method in case it broke or failed.

Welcome to ETS, TANSTAF1. grin

#205225 - 07/28/10 06:50 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The PSK+ is due out in August, and it will have Chlorine Dioxide tabs in it as well as a water container, small light, and small knife.

The only question I have about the McNett/Frontier straw filter is how prone to clogging is it, and how easy is it to unclog? My pump type filter comes with not one but two pre-filters and comes with a brush to clean the primary filter if it gets clogged.

I guess if you're in an area with clear water, clogging may not be a big issue, although maybe prefiltering through a bandana would be advisable.

HJ

#205227 - 07/28/10 07:28 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm going to buy one of those Frontier straws to try it out. It looks to be a pretty handy option, although I'd want a backup method in case it broke or failed.

If I run out of water and don't have a real filter with me, I'd boil the water as a first choice, followed by chlorine dioxide tablets, iodine tablets, the Frontier straw, and drinking untreated water last.

I get the idea that you want to replace the Frontier straw after using it.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 246 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.