The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204800 - 07/16/10 03:32 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: MoBOB]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I live single digit miles from the Superstitions. I can see them from my house. I train out there swimming in Canyon Lake, cycling out to the end of the pavement past Tortilla Flats, running throughout the park area and of course hiking many of the amazing trails.

They have not stated which trail head they found the car. Which is not usual, so its probably a small one. They have showed copter video of the SAR/ police HQ at the trail head but I don't recognize it.

There is zero cell phone coverage out there. zero. In fact there is not even payphones as far as I know. I have had to ask the marina to use their office phone when I needed it.

it is effing hot this week. +111 degrees all week and the dew point is over 55* which is a indicator of monsoon season. Don't ask me more on dew point, its not humidity, but its somehow relevant.

The SAR unit here is top notch. They have never NOT found their target, even after searching for many weeks.

#204803 - 07/16/10 04:18 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: comms]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Well, I hope those three guys are OK, but things sure don't sound good.

The really sucky thing is that the SAR guys have to go out after these numb skulls. I don't care how well conditioned or prepared you are, 110+ F weather (43+ C) is deadly. Honestly, it makes me angry. If these guys live, these are the type of guys that I think should be made to pay for their rescue.

HJ

#204809 - 07/16/10 06:36 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Hikin_Jim]
TAB Offline

Loc: The Redwood Forest
Wanna hear a stupid joke?

So, a white guy, a black guy, and a Mexican go into the Superstition Mountains desert wilderness in summer, with no phone, food, or WATER; looking for the Lost Dutchman's gold...

STUPID JOKE!!!

#204817 - 07/16/10 09:37 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: MoBOB]
PSM Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Cochise Co., AZ
MoBOB,

The Superstition Mountains are east of Phoenix. No where near Ft. Huachuca. wink

#204819 - 07/16/10 10:34 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: comms]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: comms
...snip...
it is effing hot this week. +111 degrees all week and the dew point is over 55* which is a indicator of monsoon season. Don't ask me more on dew point, its not humidity, but its somehow relevant.

The SAR unit here is top notch. They have never NOT found their target, even after searching for many weeks.

Dewpoint and Humidity is 100% related - the "dewpoint" is the point where if you lowered the temperature of the air, dew would form - aka 100% humidity

If you know the temperature and the dewpoint, and want to obtain relative humidity, the formulas are as follows:

Convert BOTH temps to degs C - inn your case

111F = 44C (Tc - air temp)
55F = 13C (Tdc - dewpoint temp in C)

The next set of formulas assumes a standard atmospheric pressure. These formulas will calculate saturation vapor pressure(Es) and actual vapor pressure(E) in millibars.

(5) Es=6.11*10.0**(7.5*Tc/(237.7+Tc))

(6) E=6.11*10.0**(7.5*Tdc/(237.7+Tdc))

Once you have the saturation vapor pressure and the actual vapor pressure, relative humidity can be computed by dividing the actual vapor pressure by the saturation vapor pressure and then multiplying by 100 to convert the quantity to a percent.

(7) Relative Humidity(RH) in percent =(E/Es)*100

Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#204826 - 07/17/10 01:40 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: KG2V]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: KG2V
Originally Posted By: comms
...snip...

Dewpoint and Humidity is 100% related - the "dewpoint" is the point where if you lowered the temperature of the air, dew would form - aka 100% humidity

If you know the temperature and the dewpoint, and want to obtain relative humidity, the formulas are as follows:

Convert BOTH temps to degs C - inn your case

111F = 44C (Tc - air temp)
55F = 13C (Tdc - dewpoint temp in C)

The next set of formulas assumes a standard atmospheric pressure. These formulas will calculate saturation vapor pressure(Es) and actual vapor pressure(E) in millibars.

(5) Es=6.11*10.0**(7.5*Tc/(237.7+Tc))

(6) E=6.11*10.0**(7.5*Tdc/(237.7+Tdc))

Once you have the saturation vapor pressure and the actual vapor pressure, relative humidity can be computed by dividing the actual vapor pressure by the saturation vapor pressure and then multiplying by 100 to convert the quantity to a percent.

(7) Relative Humidity(RH) in percent =(E/Es)*100

I use my own method to calculate relative humidity.

1. Take one test vessel(frosty mug) from the freezer
2. pour in 12 oz of the chilled test fluid, preferably Leinenkugels Honey Weiss
3. observe the frosty coating on the test vessel while slowly extracting the test fluid orally

If it melts before the third sip, the humidity is 85%
If it melts before the second sip, the humidity is 95%

Warning: this calculation can be compromised by the 'thirstyness factor'

If the test fluid is gulped, the test results are invalid and steps 1 through 3 must be repeated.

#204833 - 07/17/10 05:22 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
We do it with a pint o'Guiness.If your frothy moustache is wet before your next Gulp,It is Humid!If your frothy moustache is dry,or you don't sport a frothy moustache,You are Definitely NOT Irish!lol!

#204839 - 07/17/10 03:12 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: PSM]
widget Offline
Addict

My guess would be that they found the Lost Dutchman himself and there is no mine out there. In all the decades of poeple looking for the Lost Dutchman's Mine, no one has ever found a thing.

The expert opinion is the Old Jacob(the Dutchman)would sneak into the Vulture Mine, NW of Phoenix and steal gold then circle around and re-enter the Phoenix area from the east and tell tales of riches in the Superstitions.

It is easy for some to dream of riches. It would have been wiser to buy a few lottery tickets and sit around the pool waiting to win than to enter the Superstitions on foot this time of the year.

#204967 - 07/21/10 02:50 AM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: widget]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Looks like they've called off the search.

HJ

#204976 - 07/21/10 05:03 PM Re: This Isn't Going to End Well [Re: Hikin_Jim]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
They pulled off all the true volunteers and police but the backbone of the Superstition SAR is a group of guys who really won't quit. They'll work in the mornings when its cooler and it will be only a few people instead of 100's but these guys are really serious about their commitment to safety out there.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.