The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#204942 - 07/20/10 07:12 PM Re: NIMS vs. Reality [Re: KG2V]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
No, I was a good IC, if I do say so myself.

It's that NIMS assumes that I have 10 other people who have administrative skills to be my "scribe" or "planning section" or "logistics section" when in reality, the majority of the people I had were evacuating people, getting pumps set up, directing traffic, preparing food for the volunteers, and later pumping out buildings and loading and unloading relief supplies.

In short, the concept of "span of control" is great - on paper.
But let's use my situation - a river flood in a town of 2,400 people.

I had an operational pool of, say 50 people, 25 firefighters, all of which have NIMS basic training, 2 Medics, one cop, and the rest community members with no particular training in NIMS.

Now, let's say I followed NIMS "span of control" guidelines - that would give me, say 5 people in my command staff.

Now that reduces my pool of labor to 45.

But those 5 people would not be operational command staff, and I'd need to staff those positions, so let's take another 5 people out and put them in the office. Now I'm down to 40.

But of those 40, all are volunteers, most aren't trained in NIMS and now I'm supposed to be documenting everything on some form or another as they pump out basements, scrape mud and so on. So I find three people who can handle reports. Now I have 37 people actually working.

One gets hurt, now I have my two medics tied up and there's another report...soon I have 34 people actually working, and at this point, I'm starting to see almost 1/3 of my resource pool doing administration.

Meanwhile, I send a "strike force" to rescue the walrus family that's living on the shores of the Delaware....

#204943 - 07/20/10 07:13 PM Re: NIMS vs. Reality [Re: KG2V]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I am planning to take a CERT course in August, and a NIMS course in September. From what I've been researching, there is no other organized system around me for a community emergency response. It would be counterproductive for me to try to reinvent the wheel. I'll just plug myself into the system that everybody else already recognizes.

By the way, I agree with philip. If CERT or NIMS is failing your community, then it's probably a training issue. Reinventing the wheel would be more difficult I think.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.