Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#204740 - 07/15/10 01:38 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: xbanker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
It's been a while, about a quarter century, but I still remember a lot of things quite vividly. I should pull out my old photos some time.

If I get time, maybe I'll write down some of my experiences and include some analysis.

HJ

#204748 - 07/15/10 10:37 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Heck, any list (starting from the Essentials) is good as long as you use it, or keep your pack always packed with it. Keep a print out handy, and check things off before you leave. Whittle or add to it here and there for your trip and local terrain, its all good.

I can say that I dropped the fishing gear and trap lines years ago, except what's provided in the Ritter PSK - never had a cause to go fishing or trap hunting while out. If I was really out in the boondocks and afraid for my life it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.

And I'd think of losing the P38 but its so small and just sits on a string around my neck next to my whistle, and I know that the first outing I leave it out, I'll stumble across the beautiful Norwegian female hiker with the pouting upper lip, struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...

The one part of my kit that has grown over time is the First Aid Kit - after the last WFA refresh I decided to add about 12 feet of webbing to my pack to use in building leg or arm immobilization, it worked so well over paracord (which once did double duty, but is now strictly for hanging bear bags), and the webbing was just sitting there at REI the next time I stopped by - a few dollars and about 6 oz, what the hell, I've lost over 75 lbs so far, carrying new things in my pack is all gravy. Also my general First Aid grows with new tools, I'm packing more gauze because I bought some PriMed gauze that is compacted very small, its easy enough to carry 2 or 3 where I used to carry one. My general philosophy is to carry the same FAK on dayhikes as on 2-3 day hikes, the only expansion is for real group hikes, like for the Scouts I won't skimp on first aid - witness a day hike up a few weeks ago, guy slipped and gashed his leg, bleeding profusely. His buddy had a first aid kit, with no blood stopper bigger than a bandaid. God bless the ultralight philosophy. Granted, they were preparing to improvise and cut up a t-shirt, but they were happier still for me to pull out my reasonably compact FAK and pull out some gauze and 4x4s which handled the blood flow, and bandaged them up. 99% of my FAK is for the other hiker, not so much me. Coming across a downed hiker with just a handful of bandaids is about the stupidest feeling in the world.

#204749 - 07/15/10 11:28 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Lono

I can say that I dropped the fishing gear and trap lines years ago, except what's provided in the Ritter PSK - never had a cause to go fishing or trap hunting while out. If I was really out in the boondocks and afraid for my life it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.

I enjoy fishing, but I'd be dubious of my ability to feed myself with fish even with all my regular spinning tackle. It seems very unlikely that I could McGyver up some fish any better by hand with string and hooks. And my best chance of getting game with snares would be if the animal saw my snares and laughed itself unconcious! grin Fishing would give me something to do but I'd hate to depend on it.

Also my general First Aid grows with new tools, I'm packing more gauze because I bought some PriMed gauze that is compacted very small, its easy enough to carry 2 or 3 where I used to carry one. My general philosophy is to carry the same FAK on dayhikes as on 2-3 day hikes, the only expansion is for real group hikes, like for the Scouts I won't skimp on first aid - witness a day hike up a few weeks ago, guy slipped and gashed his leg, bleeding profusely. His buddy had a first aid kit, with no blood stopper bigger than a bandaid. God bless the ultralight philosophy. Granted, they were preparing to improvise and cut up a t-shirt, but they were happier still for me to pull out my reasonably compact FAK and pull out some gauze and 4x4s which handled the blood flow, and bandaged them up. 99% of my FAK is for the other hiker, not so much me. Coming across a downed hiker with just a handful of bandaids is about the stupidest feeling in the world.

Good points on the FAK, Lono. I've always been somewhat bewildered by the common practice of scaling your FAK to the size of the group or the planned length of the excursion. Sure, it makes sense to have more stuff for more people, but I'm referring to the tendency to plan for bigger injuries with more people. To an extent, a longer trip could equate to being further out, hence further from definitive care. Yet the whole point of planning ahead is the realization that your one day trip can become three (as the OP described). And isn't a severe bleeder an even bigger deal if you're alone than it would be if you had lots of other people with you?

I can understand the desire to limit weight but I'd only go ultra-light on the survival/first aid supplies if I was playing in a very well known and well travelled area, like a small park or car-campground close to a metro area. While you don't need to carry the kitchen sink, I'd rather err on the side of having a bit of extra capability than needing something I didn't bring.

#204753 - 07/15/10 05:40 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus

Good points on the FAK, Lono. I've always been somewhat bewildered by the common practice of scaling your FAK to the size of the group or the planned length of the excursion. Sure, it makes sense to have more stuff for more people, but I'm referring to the tendency to plan for bigger injuries with more people. To an extent, a longer trip could equate to being further out, hence further from definitive care. Yet the whole point of planning ahead is the realization that your one day trip can become three (as the OP described). And isn't a severe bleeder an even bigger deal if you're alone than it would be if you had lots of other people with you?

I can understand the desire to limit weight but I'd only go ultra-light on the survival/first aid supplies if I was playing in a very well known and well travelled area, like a small park or car-campground close to a metro area. While you don't need to carry the kitchen sink, I'd rather err on the side of having a bit of extra capability than needing something I didn't bring.

Exactly - when I say I scale for bigger trips (Scout-led hikes) I carry some additional supplies such as emergency treatment for prophylaxis, also because a 2 day trip can easily go out to 4 day trip, and your FAK must scale. I also advocate parcelling out additiaonl first aid supplies among Scouts, in the event something happens while you aren't there - or maybe it happens to you. I also carry more than most folks need 3 miles up a trail, again because if you encounter a severely traumatized hiker or climber, it doesn't matter how nearby SAR is, you are that person's aid for the next little while - hope you have what it takes.

#204754 - 07/15/10 06:06 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
When I'm traveling anywhere outside of city proper,I have my Ritter-psk in my front pocket.I've practiced with this kit alone,in my own Backyard & Nearby fields,& at the beach.My "10 Essentials"& Then some, are in this kit.I have caught fish at the beach,using only this kit/Mussels from the rocks,Butter-mouth perch,Very delicious!I've snared many mourning doves,& ate them,Very delicious!I've snared Many quail in the Santa Monica Mtns./ Ojai/Sespe/Lockwood Valley areas,& Have eaten & enjoyed them,using my Ritter-psk.Am I Plugging the Ritter-PSK? Sure,Why Not? It makes the Base for my equipment choices,Everytime!I make it a point to use these kits as,Often IS possible,& replenish/enhance them to the same degree.Works for Me!

#204775 - 07/16/10 03:54 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I have caught fish at the beach,using only this [Ritter PSK] kit/Mussels from the rocks,Butter-mouth perch,Very delicious!I've snared many mourning doves,& ate them,Very delicious!I've snared Many quail in the Santa Monica Mtns./ Ojai/Sespe/Lockwood Valley areas,& Have eaten & enjoyed them,using my Ritter-psk.
Excellent, Rich! Practice is the only way to get good at something. I'm very impressed that you've been able to catch fish from the ocean with a PSK.
HJ

#204776 - 07/16/10 04:13 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Heck, any list (starting from the Essentials) is good as long as you use it, or keep your pack always packed with it. Keep a print out handy, and check things off before you leave. Whittle or add to it here and there for your trip and local terrain, its all good.
Very well said.

...it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.
Me neither. Leaving off fishing and snare wire is a conscious decision on my part based on my priorites: thermal regulation, hydration, and signalling.

And I'd think of losing the P38 but its so small and just sits on a string around my neck next to my whistle, and I know that the first outing I leave it out, I'll stumble across the beautiful Norwegian female hiker with the pouting upper lip, struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...
lol. I actually had something like that happen. I was recovering from a broken leg so had taken everything possible out of my pack -- including my customary Ace bandages. On my hike, I encountered two rather attractive women, one of who had twisted her ankle. I felt like a complete idiot.

I'm keeping my P38 by golly; can bearing Norweigian women beware!

The one part of my kit that has grown over time is the First Aid Kit
Yeah, I carry extra 4x4's, roll gauze, triangular bandages, etc. You get a good bleeder, one 4x4 and a couple of 3x3's ain't gonna cut it. You've got to pile that stuff on there. The perscription meds thing (where I'm recommending a 3 day supply) I rarely see on lists, but if you take heart meds or something like that, it could be fatal if you're delayed. Not an area to be neglected.

HJ

#204785 - 07/16/10 06:33 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
... struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...

Sorry to rupture your dream guys, but lutefisk does not come in cans. The Swedish delicacy surströmming does, but I am afraid that opening those cans will result in a rather unmanly display of OMG, what is this??? sounds and gestures. Yes, those cans are supposed to be bulging as a result of the fermentation process.

For those interested in mans inhumanity towards fish (those are exact words from a British traveller's guide to Scandinavia), here's more about those aquired tastes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

About the P38: Most pocket knives and multi tools will have a can opener.

#204789 - 07/16/10 12:58 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

You under-estimate me my friend - not only would I allow the lass with the subtle over-bite to carry canned lutefisk, surströmming, or spam, I wouldn't blink if the gelatinous snack started slithering up my hand and took a nibble from my forearm. Its all about chivalry, tact and focussing on that wonderful Norwegian smile. On such things do our ultimate survival depend...

#204792 - 07/16/10 02:15 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Lono, I like the way you think, brother.

Surströmming comes in a bulging can and smells to high heaven? The things we do for love. lol

MostlyHarmless, yes a P38 isn't completely necessary is it? But a P38 will do a much nicer job than a can opener on an SAK or multi tool, it weighs nearly nothing, and takes up almost no space at all. Besides that, I already have one. smile

I actually have had occasion to use it. One time, I was hiking in to the mountains with my father in late summer. An early snow storm hit, dropping many cm of snow. People were afraid of getting trapped in the mountains since the only way out of the area was over a high pass and were leaving in a hurry. My father, having hiked in that area for many years, knew that storms like that usually pass through and are gone; we pressed on. We passed three men in such a panic to get out that they left behind a lot of food and gear. They told us we could have it. We went to the site, and lo and behold, there was at least a day and a half worth's of food, including two cans of beef. That evening, as we ate the delicious beef, we were quite thankful that we had brought a P38. We'd have been even more thankful for a beautiful Norwegian woman with lutefisk, but in life you take what you can get. lol

P38's are even better at picnics where people tend to bring cans more often than on hikes.

HJ

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.