Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#204838 - 07/17/10 02:50 PM key chain multi tools
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
Hi guys, I was wondering if any one here could recommend a good key chain sized multi tool?

I already EDC a victorinox executive on my key ring and a alox solo so I'm well covered for knife blades, but I feel I'm some what light in the way of tools.

I know the leatherman squirt and micra are good for their size but I'm looking for some thing without a knife blade, some thing like the swiss tech tools here

#204842 - 07/17/10 05:02 PM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: ]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
I think the new leatherman PS 4 squirt is the best key chain tool for most people. I have one and will be posting a review on amazon in the next couple of days. It's the P 4, but with a scissor (approximately like the vic SAK classic scissor) instead of the tiny awl and mini-screwdriver.

Much better then the gerber key chain tools.

#204844 - 07/17/10 05:26 PM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: ]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Thanks Izzy, I thought they had a good rep but in this day and age of knock-offs unfortunately it pays to double check. The "Utilikey" and "Screwz All 4-in-1" where on my short list as well but I really like the pliers on the 19 in 1. I know they won't be as good as the ones on a leatherman but for small, light tasks they seem like they would be OK.

As for the weight I try to counter that in my selections by getting one thing to replace two even if it was a little heavier

For example if I had two things on my key chain weighing 1oz each and replaced it with something weighing 1.5oz that would still be a 0.5oz reduction in total weight.

#204847 - 07/17/10 06:36 PM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: Cauldronborn]
UrbanKathy Offline

Loc: Queens, NYC
Originally Posted By: Cauldronborn
Hi guys, I was wondering if any one here could recommend a good key chain sized multi tool?

I already EDC a victorinox executive on my key ring and a alox solo so I'm well covered for knife blades, but I feel I'm some what light in the way of tools.

I know the leatherman squirt and micra are good for their size but I'm looking for some thing without a knife blade, some thing like the swiss tech tools here

I have the 19-in- Swiss Tech--keep it in my pocketbook. I carry a squirt on my house keys along with a photon light. The Swiss Tech is a tiny little thing, but I've used it a couple of times. The main problem is there's no keychain hole. You have to hope that the pliers stays together so it doesn't come off of your lanyard or chain.

#204861 - 07/17/10 11:49 PM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've always considered keychain tools to be too small to do much good. That said, of the people I know who carry them and use them frequently, the majority seem to carry the Squirt.

I know a lady who carries the Swisstech in her purse and is always finding small jobs in the office setting she works in but IMHO it is to small for any job larger than tightening screws on eyeglasses.

#204866 - 07/18/10 12:40 AM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: Art_in_FL]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I have a Squirt E4 and a couple of different Swiss-Tech tools. I think the Squirt has better machining and is generally more useful. I much prefer the E4 to any other version of the Squirt.

- Eric

#204875 - 07/18/10 12:13 PM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: ]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
If you have an Vic Executive and a Alox Solo then you already have a lot on you. Some of it would be doubled up on the 19-in-1. Which is 3.2 ounces according to the site. I'd be more comfortable getting the UtiliKey and the Micro Plus 8-in-1. That's a total weight of only 2.1 ounces.

Just my two cents.

True, and I know this sounds like I'm contradicting myself but having the weight in several items allows me to distubute the weight a little better. Plus in reality I'm not so concerned that I try to save point something of an oz, and my key chain
doesn't have that much on it to start with

#204903 - 07/19/10 10:36 AM Re: key chain multi tools [Re: Cauldronborn]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I have several small multi-tools. I can't decide on a "best" one but I find that I need to carry two. Need one for the screwdriver and one to hold the nut on the other end.

Learned that the usual (hard) way. Had a screw and nut. Could either turn the screw, or the nut, but could not hold them both. Major bummer...

Nomad

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.