Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Topic Options
#205428 - 08/02/10 05:25 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
There are no tests I'm aware of unless one has access to a lab. If someone could come up with a reliable, reasonably priced test, I bet they'd sell well. As it is, there are scores of people out there using filters that may or may not work. Good thing the waters in the wilds of N. America are actually pretty darn clean. I bet that if the waters were as contaminated with giardia as filter companies would have us think that there would be a lot more cases of illness.

HJ

#205432 - 08/02/10 05:56 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very good point. When I'm up at Amisk Lake in Sask we always drink right from the lake. The lodge gets their water there to with no filtration.

#205435 - 08/02/10 01:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Good thing the waters in the wilds of N. America are actually pretty darn clean. I bet that if the waters were as contaminated with giardia as filter companies would have us think that there would be a lot more cases of illness.
HJ

I agree, the waters here are very clean once you move away from civilization. There are very few cases of Giardia reported, however I still treat my water if I have any doubt as to it's source....especially in some low mountain areas where there are open range cattle grazing. That creek water may look and taste pristine where you are, however miles away and above you there could be herds of cows that have little disregard for sanitation practices...

John Lubbock

#205442 - 08/02/10 02:19 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
There is a medical researcher here in California who is also a passionate backcountry enthusiast. He has access to a very high tech lab. He has, over a period of years, taken water samples from all over the Sierra Nevada. He's reached some interesting conclusions:
1. Water in the Sierra Nevada is generally safe to drink.
2. Water in the Sierra Nevada is generally cleaner than most municipal water supplies.
3. Giardia cannot survive the winter in the Sierra Nevada above 10,000' due to harsh freeze-thaw cycles.
4. Water near permanent human habitation is generally NOT safe to drink.
5. Water in areas where livestock grazing is permitted is generally NOT safe to drink.

I try to base my water treament decisions on the above. Close to trailheads or in heavily used areas, I treat my water. If there is livestock anywhere in the area, I treat the water.

On the other hand, in lesser used and remote areas, particularly above 10,000', I don't treat my water at all.

HJ

#209377 - 10/09/10 05:35 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting. I treat everything. (Or bring tap water from home for shorter hikes)

#209386 - 10/09/10 07:14 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: TANSTAF1]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: TANSTAF1
But when your initial water supply runs out and you don't have time to boil or disinfect, what do you all think of the Frontier water filter straw - it weighs 1 oz.

I wouldn't rely on them. They are only effective to 3.0 microns. That's only partially effective against the larger bugs: Crypto and Giardia, and completely ineffective against bacteria such as Salmonella and E.Coli (which have a much shorter incubation period). Sawyer makes a 0.1 micron in-line filter that can be bought separately or as part of their water filtering bottle. I use one of these filters with a Camelbak Bite-Flip cap on a Nalgene 1L water bottle as my standard day hike filter. It can also be hooked up in-line in the hose of a hydration bladder, and is easily field maintainable.

#209389 - 10/09/10 07:22 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:
I'd want a backup method in case it broke or failed.

Seems to me the only way you would know it failed is if you become ill with a water borne agent. wink
Yep. There's no reliable way that I've ever heard of to test a filter unless you've got access to some sophisticated lab equipment. There's no "home kit" that you can buy.

The First Need XL comes with a test dye. Add a few drops to your source water and pump through the filter. If the output water has any blue tint the filter needs to be replaced.

Page 9 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.