Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#204906 - 07/19/10 12:47 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: unimogbert]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I have friends allergic to various plants, so they always bring anti-histamines. On a trip to "mosquito hell country", we found out the hard way that having sufficient number of mosquito stings will cause your body to react to those stings: They swell and become quite more painful than usual, and you may even have "fewer shivering". For the most unlucky guys we're talking several hundred stings per person... First they washed off all mosquito repellent with an involuntary swim in the river, then they spent an hour in bug infested vegetation fixing their canoe... Luckily, one of them figured this was quite similar to his allergic reaction to whatever plant he's sensitive to, and administered some anti-histamine. Quite effective.

Anti-histamine is also great for preventing or at least lessen hangovers, which is one of those things allergic people usually learn pretty quick.

#204921 - 07/20/10 12:16 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I have friends allergic to various plants, so they always bring anti-histamines. On a trip to "mosquito hell country", we found out the hard way that having sufficient number of mosquito stings will cause your body to react to those stings: They swell and become quite more painful than usual, and you may even have "fewer shivering". For the most unlucky guys we're talking several hundred stings per person... First they washed off all mosquito repellent with an involuntary swim in the river, then they spent an hour in bug infested vegetation fixing their canoe... Luckily, one of them figured this was quite similar to his allergic reaction to whatever plant he's sensitive to, and administered some anti-histamine. Quite effective.

Anti-histamine is also great for preventing or at least lessen hangovers, which is one of those things allergic people usually learn pretty quick.

I have actually noticed this effect too. After a LOT of mosquito bites, I sometimes feel a little 'jiggy'. This is rare because I take precautions against bug bites. I have built up some immunity to the histamine effects of bites and stings from a lifetime of being in the northwoods, but my DW who I imported from points south, is not so lucky.

#204940 - 07/20/10 06:30 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: SETI6equj5]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: SETI6equj5
"I think it's interesting that in all the episodes of Survivorman I've ever seen he always sets snares but I've never once seen him catch anything."

Survivor Man needs licenses for hunting/trapping in most cases. It may be why we don't see that on the show, or he doesn't set enough traps to catch anything. 1 or 2 snares isn't enough
I believe that in the episode where Les is in a simulated airplane crash he catches a rabbit and cooks and eats it.

08 "Plane Crash" May 25, 2005 (2005-05-25)
Les simulates survival as a plane crash survivor in Temagami, Ontario in the winter, simulating a broken arm.

HJ

#204941 - 07/20/10 06:33 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: SETI6equj5]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: SETI6equj5
or carry an airhorn...gives you another signaling device
Not a bad idea, but recall that I'm making a list that consists of successive sets of 10 items per set. There's no end to helpful things that one might bring along. The real question is: What in one of the first sets of 10 do you eliminate to make room for an air horn?

Everyone's making solid suggestions, but where does it fit in to the list in terms of priority?

HJ

#204944 - 07/20/10 07:32 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Crowe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Crowe
Just some thoughts, C.Rowe
And some very practical and good ones I might add.

Originally Posted By: Crowe
...with water, you have [to have] a way to boil it ...
I'm going to part company with you here and step out on a bit of a limb. The conventional wisdom is that one should place water treatment capability up fairly high on the list. For me, water treatment just barely makes my top thirty coming in just about last out of thirty.

Why? What's the #1 threat in N. America? Giardia. What's the gestation period of giardia? Two to three weeks. Recall that I'm building a kit for a 72 hour scenario. Giardia might get me a couple of weeks after I've gotten out of the mess, but dehydration might kill me that very day. In a pinch, I'd drink untreated water.

Would I rate water treatment so low outside of N. America? No! Nor would I rate water treatment so low in urban survival scenarios (e.g. after an earthquake). But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.

HJ

#204946 - 07/20/10 08:43 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.

HJ

Fair enough- when you're talking 10 items you have to draw the line somewhere. Yet purification tablets are extremely compact and pretty inexpensive. Even a small vial of household bleach will kill most stuff. You're absolutely right that dehydration is a much greater danger than water-born pathogens but what if you're not rescued right on cue at 72 hours? Or what if you get get the runs after 36 hours?

Again, I don't so much disagree with your ranking so much as I'd consider fudging it and stretching it to 11 items if need be. wink

#204949 - 07/20/10 09:39 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
When ever I see different survival lists, I like to relate them to someones experience.

An example is the "saga" of James Kim from California. Evaluate your list relative to his death and proceed.

If you are fortunate to have some personal experiences, than the list is more than academic.

* Died while searching for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine.

* Died on Mt Hood - any one of many will do.

* Died in your home when the elevator stuck.

* Died in your home during a home invasion.

* Died in your car under an overpass during the 1985 snowstorm in Colorado Springs.

* Died from a pit bull attack.

* Cut off your arm to get out of a rock climbing accident.

* Cut off your arm to get unstuck from the air conditioning duct.

* Died in Differiential Equations 415 Class at Virginia Tech

You get the idea. Pick your adventure. Look up deaths that occured during that activity in history. How is your list? What would have changed the outcome?

I can think of a few things besides the chapstick that don't make the top 50!

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#204950 - 07/20/10 09:58 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

I'm going to part company with you here and step out on a bit of a limb. The conventional wisdom is that one should place water treatment capability up fairly high on the list. For me, water treatment just barely makes my top thirty coming in just about last out of thirty.

Why? What's the #1 threat in N. America? Giardia. What's the gestation period of giardia? Two to three weeks. Recall that I'm building a kit for a 72 hour scenario. Giardia might get me a couple of weeks after I've gotten out of the mess, but dehydration might kill me that very day. In a pinch, I'd drink untreated water.

Would I rate water treatment so low outside of N. America? No! Nor would I rate water treatment so low in urban survival scenarios (e.g. after an earthquake). But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.

HJ

Fair enough, and a good point based on a valid philosophy. The ability to boil water, to me, is versatile enough to include, but your philosophy is sound, for a 72 hour kit is not essential, though, here in the northeast, a cup of hot water/tea can be good for staving off hypothermia or even pouring it into the platypus bag as an impromptu hot water bottle, while at the same time aiding with hydration. Heat/Shelter, Hydration, Signaling, and First Aid should be the priorities of the first 72 IMHO, but it is as always, a matter of taste and environment.

C. Rowe

Edited by Crowe (07/20/10 09:59 PM)

#204953 - 07/20/10 11:01 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Crowe]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I will disagree with you both on the priority for water purification, particularly for a 72 hour kit. Within 2 minutes of my doorstep I have Lake Washington - you'd think I have plenty of water in a pinch. While hiking there are not many places this side of the Cascades where you are very distant from a potable water source. However, after an earthquake, Lake Washington will be fouled by a damaged oil pipeline, and also likely by sewage line ruptures - sewer mainline for my neighborhood crosses the Mercer Slough a mile south of here, approximately at the epicenter of the Seattle Fault zone. If that's the case, drinking the water could create bigger issues than giardia. As for purifying water while hiking, the size of MicroPur tablets is miniscule, and if you have had giardia (I have not) you wouldn't want it facing your future, even if your focus was only on the next 72 hours - because the diarrhea etc is prolonged. Potable water and a mechanism to purify it is an essential IMO.

#204954 - 07/20/10 11:12 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.
Fair enough- when you're talking 10 items you have to draw the line somewhere. Yet purification tablets are extremely compact and pretty inexpensive. Even a small vial of household bleach will kill most stuff.
Points well taken. Which is why that purification means IS in the top 30 although it didn't make the top ten.

Based on everyone's input and the ensuing discussion, I've made some revisions/clarifications to the list. I'll post them in bit.

HJ

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, Ren), 394 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.