Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#204757 - 07/15/10 07:00 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Mark_R]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
And ZF means Zombie Forum.

#204758 - 07/15/10 08:02 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Susan]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, Zombie Squad Forum. I shoulda mentioned that. wink

#205184 - 07/27/10 05:28 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Tarzan]
saniterra Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Mebane, NC
I need corrective lenses for sight at any distance and I have central serous retinoplasty (bubble in the retina)that leaves me nothing by peripheral vision in my right eye, a condition that cannot be corrected. I have prescription sunglasses, distance glasses and reading glass that I hope to replace in one set of glasses so that I can use the others for spare. Contacts just won't get it done for me and LASIK scares me to death - if they damage - however unlikely - my good eye, I'll be SOL.

#205185 - 07/27/10 05:42 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: saniterra]
Carpal Tunnel

I hear you, Saniterra. Even with two healthy eyes I'm to chicken for LASIK.

#205186 - 07/27/10 06:25 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I wear contacts moslyt. Glasses at for for Tv. This thread has got me to thinking that maybe I should try and anyone else who is so interested to try some backyard time lense free. Just take em off and see how well you can get by. Whether you just want to tend the garden for an hour, or spend the whole night. I think it would be cool and productive to see how far or long we could all go. Are your lenses just for accuity (spelling) or for serious sight issues). After thinking about this the other night (mostly due to me stepping out on a hot night and not wanting them to fog up) I looked around and found that I have become rather handicapped relying on m lenses and came up with the idea of no I'm not going to spot a deer if its too far away but I feel that I could do just fine around camp all night, up to gathering wood, taking a trip to the lamode and what not. Hope to test it this weekend.

Edited by T_Co (07/27/10 06:28 PM)
Edit Reason: Typing without lenses, go figure!

#205187 - 07/27/10 07:07 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: T_Co]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have worn glasses regularly for about thirty years. When away from home, I carry at least one spare pair.

I have tried to make the most of the situation by always paying a little extra for hardened, impact resistant lenses, usually with UV-A protection, thus protecting my vision.

#205205 - 07/28/10 02:03 AM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: hikermor]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
I have better than average vision (20-10) but both of my folks wear glasses.

Make sure at least one of your party has good uncorrected vision and depend on them? thats not really my style but it has worked well for people around me for years.

my vision is a 2 edged sword. glare gives me blinding headaches and my night vision takes awhile to kick in. like walking outside at night it takes a good 15 min before i have reached an acceptable level of clarity. apparently because i am used to better than normal i am not as adept at making due with less quality.

i keep 2 pairs of sunglasses in my truck at all times. one saftey and one "cool." during teotwawki i would only grab the saftey pair. they are tough and easily repaired.
I have an extra.

#205224 - 07/28/10 06:29 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: EchoingLaugh]
Carpal Tunnel

If I were forced into a survival situation without corrective lenses everything would be much more difficult, but hopefully I'd survive! I'm extremely nearsighted to the point that I can't read a book unless my nose is almost touching it. smirk

#207399 - 09/06/10 08:56 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: Phaedrus]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
I'm aware that LASIK can be a great option. A good buddy of mine had it done a few years before you did and is still very happy. That said, the procedure is coming under renewed scrutinay as some of those early patients have begun to have problems. And it's not cheap. Sure, it may be cheaper than a lifetime of glasses or contacts, but not all of us can pony up a lifetime's worth of eye care in one check. Most of all I'm just chicken$hit- my eyes are nearsighted but they're healthy. Will that change after I let a laser poke around?

The precautionary principle applies for me. My brother went to a VERY accomplished Lasik surgeon who does a good many of them. 4 years later, he now wears glasses again...only now he has to add eydrops several times a day due to some sort of complication. I'll muddle through with my relatively healthy eyes and just wear glasses. The gamble is too great when my eyes make a good portion of my living.

#207400 - 09/06/10 09:06 PM Re: How many people here wear corrective lenses? [Re: yeti]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I need off the shelf reading glasses -- 1.25 for most stuff, 1.50 or 1.75 for really close up. 20/20 vision at distance.

My sister had both lens's replaced surgically. She went from close to legally blind to 20/20 in both eyes. Didn't know they could do that with artificial lens's.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.