Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#204686 - 07/14/10 02:05 AM Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts?
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I've put together a list of emergency gear to be carried while hiking. See the list down below my "signature". I'd love to get your thoughts on the contents. What should be added? What should be deleted? What are important considerations when selecting the items that are on the list? My target is hikers in general, not just those who are interested in preparedness.

A word about the list: I started with the original "10 Essentials" put out by The Mountaineers. I then added three more groups of 10, each group being less critical than the group before it. I live in Southern California, so my choices reflect my location. For example fishing gear is way down on my list because the chances of finding fish are generally quite low here. I didn't list some things like a digging implement which I consider something that a hiker should already be carrying.

That being said, I publish my list below and invite your (thoughtful and intelligent) smile feed back.

HJ

**The 10 Essentials**
Map (topo, preferably around 1:25,000 scale with approx. 40' contour intervals)
Compass
Light (headlamp or flashlight)
Sun protection (hat, glasses, sunscreen)
Extra food & water
Extra clothing
Matches (or lighter or fire steel or sparker) <==at least 2 methods
Firestarter (tinder) -- e.g. Tinder Qwick, Wet Fire, Vaseline cotton balls, candle, etc.
Knife -- Fixed blade preferred
FAK

**Other essentials**
- Chapstick (SPF 30)
- Personal meds (3 day supply)
- Duct tape
- Whistle
- Signal Mirror
- Shelter (e.g. space blanket, space blanket bivvy sack, tube tent, etc.)
- Rain gear
- Watch
- Bandana
- Pen & paper

**Important but not essential**
- 55 gal trash can liners (3) -- Can be used as a pack cover when in camp, ground sheet for shelter, pack liner, etc.
- Insect repellent (DEET or Picaridin)
- Needle & thread
- Squeeze light (as a backup)
- PLB
- Parachute Cord ("550 cord") -- Mil Spec
- Water retrieval device (straw or sierra cup)
- Multitool or SAK
- Water purification means
- Backup compass

**Other Items**
- Fishing gear
- Two way radio
- P38 can opener
- Cell phone
- Head net
- Work gloves
- Thermarest patch kit (Particularly in Winter)
- Insulating foam pad (Winter)
- Goggles (Winter)
- Pot, stove, & fuel (Winter)

Edited by Hikin_Jim (07/14/10 02:07 AM)

#204687 - 07/14/10 02:59 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good list. Do you mean day hiking or overnights? I'd leave behind the 2 way radio, unless you mention it on your hiking/ trip plan

#204689 - 07/14/10 03:34 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
What,No Doug Ritter PSK? Wire,You must have Wire,Emergency or Not! Fishing kit should be a Top 1 Priority,there are lakes,streams,ponds thruout So.Cal.,Not to mention the Largest Pond, this side of the planet,Pacific Ocean! Fishhooks work Real well for Trapping small-game.A fishing kit is multi-use,weighs very little & displaces nothing in a pack,Yet provides food,comfort,& confidence when you Really need it!How about slingshot materials,Dove/Quail are delicious,& Abundant thruout almost all of California,they snare fairly easy,too.

#204692 - 07/14/10 04:50 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: TeacherRO]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Good list. Do you mean day hiking or overnights? I'd leave behind the 2 way radio, unless you mention it on your hiking/ trip plan
My thought with the list is that it would form a core kit that you would carry with you on all hikes, overnight or day. Obviously, some things might change depending on whether your staying out overnight or just going for the day.

Good thought on the radio. If you're using an FRS or GMRS, not only should you list that on the trip plan you leave with your check-in person, but you should also list what channel you'll be monitoring and possibly even a back up channel.

HJ

#204693 - 07/14/10 05:09 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Hi, Rich,

Thanks for your interesting thoughts.
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
What,No Doug Ritter PSK?
Recall my target audience:
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
My target is hikers in general, not just those who are interested in preparedness.
Telling the average person who isn't on a forum like this that they need a Ritter PSK is going to be a tough sell. My idea is to have people put together their own kit that would have at least the top ten items on my list or better still the top twenty.

Wire,You must have Wire,Emergency or Not!
Well, perhaps so, but again convincing a typical hiker that he needs to carry snare wire is going to be a tough sell. In general, I'm interested in a typical hiking emergency scenario where things frequently play out within 72 hours. I'm not thinking of longer term survival where snares would be quite useful.

Fishing kit should be a Top 1 Priority,there are lakes, streams, ponds thruout So.Cal.,Not to mention the Largest Pond, this side of the planet,Pacific Ocean!
Wow, that's great! Please tell me the specific hiking trails that you're talking about. I'd really like to hike there. In my hiking travels in the San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mtns, San Jacinto Mtns, etc. I encounter very few places where fishing is feasible in the backcountry. Of course there are fish available in tourist places like Big Bear Lake, but I generally like to get away from the crowds and roads.

HJ

#204694 - 07/14/10 05:32 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Loc: Anthem, AZ USA
For me, minor shift in two items up to the "most critical" list.

As a hiker (including Sierras), my essentials closely mimic yours, but personal preference/priorities have signal mirror and whistle included in first "critical" list. Maybe ahead of extra clothing, depending on weather, time of year, conditions, hike location etc.

In event of impaired mobility caused by mishap -- say broken leg or worse -- and maybe where fuel for signal fire not abundant, I absolutely want to have signaling basics well-covered.

And for where I might typically be hiking, fishing kit would be higher importance.

#204695 - 07/14/10 06:45 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
What,No Doug Ritter PSK?

You're being sarcastic, aren't you... wink Having the top 10 plus the "other essentials" in your pack is far superior to any PSK, including Doug Ritters PSK. I've got one, and I love it, but I'd rather see more people bring the appropriate items in their packs than relying on a PSK. Those are backups, not do-all magical talismans.

For the most common "hiking trips" survival scenarios, gathering food is not really high on your list of priorities, so I'm with Hiking Jim when he doesn't include a fishing or snaring kit. Trust me, if you're in trouble you want to go home, not go fishing. That being said, if you've got nothing to do but waiting anyway then you might as well do some fishing while you're at it. Some hooks, wire and line weigh next to nothing and the wire and line can be used for a zillion other purposes. But I would not include gear for fishing, snaring or trapping on any lists of this kind.

Jim, your list makes very much sense to me. Changing to a different location would perhaps mean that some items would gain priority, such as shelter being a very high priority for me in a Scandinavian climate (except in wooded areas in the warmest part of the summer).

One seasonal/locale dependent thing I would like to add to your list is bug avoidance (such as a mosquito hat/net or bug repellent). Trying to sleep while being eaten by mosquitos and bugs is a sure morale killer. My recommendation is a mosquito hat together with clothing that covers your feet and hands.

Another thing: I love Paracord, but any cord is better than no cord at all. Not everyone will be ecstatic about hearing they need to go online to purchase some genuine "mil-spec" because they really need that magic elfish rope or whatever. I would edit that part so it reflects the virtues of bringing some minimum quantity of whatever synthetic cord they're happy with. Personally, I bring a mix of paracord and 2mm nylon generic no-brand cord (plenty strong enough, and packs much smaller). For most emergency bushcraft and shelter building I can think of, I'd rather have 90 feet of 2mm nylon line than 30 feet of paracord. And yes, I know you can split the cord into 7 strands and all that, but this is not something I want to fiddle with when being wet, frozen, hungry and very much in need of shelter NOW.

#204696 - 07/14/10 06:51 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I think it's interesting that in all the episodes of Survivorman I've ever seen he always sets snares but I've never once seen him catch anything. Of course, I only see the show sporadically on youtube so I haven't see them all or anything. Most situations where you're lost you probably will be found within a few days; in extremely remote areas you'd be wise to carry more gear. Depending on the circumstances and the space I have, I'll normally have some snacks on me. It's for moral as much as anything. If you can build a fire, keep the rain off you and stay hydrated I'd say you're in good shape for a few days. For a 3 day kit almost anything else borders on being a luxury. Of course, that's excepting medical supplies. And you can never count on being found in X amount of days.

#204699 - 07/14/10 07:09 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

That pretty much describes my current hiking setup except for a couple things.

Added
Trekking poles - I always have them
Camera - Personal preference, but I always carry mine
Webbing - If there's a chance of doing some cross country bush-wacking or off trail, I may carry some webbing and short length of rope and a carabiner.
At least 2-4 sources of light - If night hiking it's 2 headlamps and 2 flashlights, otherwise 2 headlamps is standard.

Deleted-
P38 an opener - I never carry one, because I don't carry any canned food and have never run into canned food out in the backcountry.
Two way radio - Don't normally carry them unless I'm going with other people who are carrying them. One exception is when canyoning.
Rain Gear - If the forecast doesn't show rain, I've been leaving this at home. I do have a homemade silnylon poncho/tarp/bivy that I may carry instead of dedicated rain gear and bivy. Of course this varies quite a bit, usually I err on the cautious side.
Pen and paper - Never used it, so I haven't carried it for a long time.

Other than that, everything else is just like mine. I've been trying to cut some weight off my normal hiking pack, so I'm slowly removing things that aren't absolute necessities, so on really familiar trails I sometimes go even lighter.

Fishing kit should be a Top 1 Priority,there are lakes, streams, ponds thruout So.Cal.,Not to mention the Largest Pond, this side of the planet,Pacific Ocean!
Wow, that's great! Please tell me the specific hiking trails that you're talking about. I'd really like to hike there. In my hiking travels in the San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mtns, San Jacinto Mtns, etc. I encounter very few places where fishing is feasible in the backcountry. Of course there are fish available in tourist places like Big Bear Lake, but I generally like to get away from the crowds and roads.

HJ

I hike pretty much the same areas, and didn't think fishing was very feasible either. But I was wrong, there are a lot of fish up there, you just have to be looking for them. I've gone fly-fishing at East fork right past Heaton and at the base of Baldy, two high traffic places I would never would have thought would be very good for fishing, and have caught some fish. I have a friend that can catch 10 fish an hour in streams you can literally step across. In fact when he did a overnight "survival" hike up the East fork he actually caught a couple of fish with his survival kit contents.

However, I still don't carry any fishing gear. I probably should, but even with regular fishing gear, I'm still not any good at catching anything. Like anything else it's a learned skill, some people have it, I definitely don't.

#204715 - 07/14/10 04:23 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Please tell me the specific hiking trails that you're talking about. I'd really like to hike there.

Nice hike north of you if ever the opportunity: Graveyard Lakes. Great fishing last time there few years ago. Area photos.

#204716 - 07/14/10 05:50 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: xbanker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: xbanker
As a hiker (including Sierras), my essentials closely mimic yours, but personal preference/priorities have signal mirror and whistle included in first "critical" list. Maybe ahead of extra clothing, depending on weather, time of year, conditions, hike location etc.

In event of impaired mobility caused by mishap -- say broken leg or worse -- and maybe where fuel for signal fire not abundant, I absolutely want to have signaling basics well-covered.
Good points, and I agree with you that depending on the time of year and the weather, priorities will shift.

Here in the part of Los Angeles where I live the high over the next few days is going to be around 100F/38C and the low 70F/21C. In heat like that, extra clothing is hardly a primary concern.

HJ

#204717 - 07/14/10 05:51 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: xbanker]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

On further thought - this list is good...and the key is making any kit small enough to carry every time...for me thats a pound* and book size. (plus food, water, clothing...)

TRO

* ~1/2 kilo

#204718 - 07/14/10 06:04 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
Jim, your list makes very much sense to me. Changing to a different location would perhaps mean that some items would gain priority, such as shelter being a very high priority for me in a Scandinavian climate (except in wooded areas in the warmest part of the summer).
Absolutely. The most important thing to pack in any survival kit is common sense. One cannot just throw the same kit in one's backpack and think that one is simultaneously prepared for both Saudia Arabia and Alaska. A list is just a starting point that one must think through.

One seasonal/locale dependent thing I would like to add to your list is bug avoidance (such as a mosquito hat/net or bug repellent). Trying to sleep while being eaten by mosquitos and bugs is a sure morale killer. My recommendation is a mosquito hat together with clothing that covers your feet and hands.
Oh, sorry, my list wasn't very clear. In the fourth set of ten, when I say "headnet", I'm referring to a mosquito net that one places over one's hat. It can be a life saver in heavy bug country. Insect repellent is listed in the third set of ten.

Another thing: I love Paracord, but any cord is better than no cord at all. Not everyone will be ecstatic about hearing they need to go online to purchase some genuine "mil-spec" because they really need that magic elfish rope or whatever. I would edit that part so it reflects the virtues of bringing some minimum quantity of whatever synthetic cord they're happy with.
OK, that's a very good point. I will modify my list accordingly.

Thank you very much for some really good feedback.

HJ

#204719 - 07/14/10 06:59 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
If you can build a fire, keep the rain off you and stay hydrated I'd say you're in good shape for a few days.
Well said. That's basically where I'm coming from. I think of thermal regulation and hydration (unless there's an acute medical issue or I'm in imminent danger) as job one in survival. Signaling follows thereafter. Hopefully my list reflects those priorities.

HJ

#204720 - 07/14/10 07:01 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: xbanker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: xbanker
Please tell me the specific hiking trails that you're talking about. I'd really like to hike there.

Nice hike north of you if ever the opportunity: Graveyard Lakes. Great fishing last time there few years ago. Area photos.
Nice site. Is that your site?

Yeah, that's a great area. I've been there several times. A bit far for anything less than a three day weekend, but I sure love it up there.

HJ

#204721 - 07/14/10 07:21 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ducktapeguy
That pretty much describes my current hiking setup except for a couple things.

Added
Trekking poles - I always have them
Camera - Personal preference, but I always carry mine
Webbing - If there's a chance of doing some cross country bush-wacking or off trail, I may carry some webbing and short length of rope and a carabiner.
At least 2-4 sources of light - If night hiking it's 2 headlamps and 2 flashlights, otherwise 2 headlamps is standard.
Trekking poles? In terms of emergency use, do you use them to construct a shelter? And the camera? As a signaling device using the flash?

I agree with you on the rope & biner for XC stuff. As for lights, I've got two on my list, and I think I'll leave it at that believing it a reasonable compromise between weight and safety.

Deleted-
P38 an opener - I never carry one, because I don't carry any canned food and have never run into canned food out in the backcountry.
Two way radio - Don't normally carry them unless I'm going with other people who are carrying them. One exception is when canyoning.
Rain Gear - If the forecast doesn't show rain, I've been leaving this at home. I do have a homemade silnylon poncho/tarp/bivy that I may carry instead of dedicated rain gear and bivy. Of course this varies quite a bit, usually I err on the cautious side.
Pen and paper - Never used it, so I haven't carried it for a long time.
OK, you got me there on the P38. smile I'm former Army, hence my bias. People aren't using cans as much these days, so it's probably not critical. QUESTION: What if anything would you replace it with?

Seems like no one likes my radio idea. I actually had a HAM radio in mind not FRS/GRMS, but yes, it's probably not an essential.

On the pen & paper thing, I'll probably bump that down a notch, but let me tell you a note pinned to a trail junction sign might just save your life some day.

I hike pretty much the same areas, and didn't think fishing was very feasible either. But I was wrong, there are a lot of fish up there...
Ah, you caught me on that one. I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole with Rich there. There are some good areas to fish in the backcountry in So. Cal. albeit few and far between. What I was really driving at is that there is no fishing on most of hikes I go on. My lack of fishing gear also reflects my priorities: thermal regulation, hydration, and signaling.

However, I still don't carry any fishing gear. I probably should, but even with regular fishing gear, I'm still not any good at catching anything. Like anything else it's a learned skill, some people have it, I definitely don't.
Oh, you too? smile

HJ

#204722 - 07/14/10 07:29 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: TeacherRO]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
On further thought - this list is good...and the key is making any kit small enough to carry every time...for me thats a pound* and book size. (plus food, water, clothing...)
Well, that's actually really a good point. The kit you won't carry isn't going to do you much good.

I myself have been considering the purchase of a McMurdo FastFind 210 even though I already have a perfectly good ACR Terrafix. Why? The ACR is bulky and takes up a fair amount of room in the little pack I take on side trips while on a backpack. I'm much more likely to carry the truly pocket sized McMurdo than the big, clunky ACR.

I'll have to weigh my kit and see what it comes to. Stay tuned.

HJ

#204728 - 07/14/10 10:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
xbanker Offline
Addict

Quote:
Nice site. Is that your site?
HJ

Thanks, but no, just something in my bookmarks.

Yes, unfortunate that it's so distant from you. Even when I lived/worked in the Pismo Beach/San Luis Obispo area, required three-days minimum ... and five days was heaven. smile

This is closer (I assume) to your area: Sespe Wilderness/Sespe Creek. Another great hike if you haven't tried yet. And there's water!

#204735 - 07/15/10 01:23 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: xbanker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Oh, yes, the Sespe. The Sespe is one of the reasons I'm on this site. I spent three days there in 1984 -- on a one day hike. I will never forget the Sespe. My interest in wilderness survival is far more than academic.

I've been wanting to do this hot springs hike in the Sespe Wilderness. It's much closer than the first area you suggested but still over two hours drive each way.

HJ

#204737 - 07/15/10 01:29 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
xbanker Offline
Addict

I spent three days there in 1984 -- on a one day hike. I will never forget the Sespe. HJ

Now that made me chuckle ... three days on a one day hike. Sounds like there's an instructive story somewhere in there. smile

#204740 - 07/15/10 01:38 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: xbanker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

It's been a while, about a quarter century, but I still remember a lot of things quite vividly. I should pull out my old photos some time.

If I get time, maybe I'll write down some of my experiences and include some analysis.

HJ

#204748 - 07/15/10 10:37 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Heck, any list (starting from the Essentials) is good as long as you use it, or keep your pack always packed with it. Keep a print out handy, and check things off before you leave. Whittle or add to it here and there for your trip and local terrain, its all good.

I can say that I dropped the fishing gear and trap lines years ago, except what's provided in the Ritter PSK - never had a cause to go fishing or trap hunting while out. If I was really out in the boondocks and afraid for my life it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.

And I'd think of losing the P38 but its so small and just sits on a string around my neck next to my whistle, and I know that the first outing I leave it out, I'll stumble across the beautiful Norwegian female hiker with the pouting upper lip, struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...

The one part of my kit that has grown over time is the First Aid Kit - after the last WFA refresh I decided to add about 12 feet of webbing to my pack to use in building leg or arm immobilization, it worked so well over paracord (which once did double duty, but is now strictly for hanging bear bags), and the webbing was just sitting there at REI the next time I stopped by - a few dollars and about 6 oz, what the hell, I've lost over 75 lbs so far, carrying new things in my pack is all gravy. Also my general First Aid grows with new tools, I'm packing more gauze because I bought some PriMed gauze that is compacted very small, its easy enough to carry 2 or 3 where I used to carry one. My general philosophy is to carry the same FAK on dayhikes as on 2-3 day hikes, the only expansion is for real group hikes, like for the Scouts I won't skimp on first aid - witness a day hike up a few weeks ago, guy slipped and gashed his leg, bleeding profusely. His buddy had a first aid kit, with no blood stopper bigger than a bandaid. God bless the ultralight philosophy. Granted, they were preparing to improvise and cut up a t-shirt, but they were happier still for me to pull out my reasonably compact FAK and pull out some gauze and 4x4s which handled the blood flow, and bandaged them up. 99% of my FAK is for the other hiker, not so much me. Coming across a downed hiker with just a handful of bandaids is about the stupidest feeling in the world.

#204749 - 07/15/10 11:28 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Lono

I can say that I dropped the fishing gear and trap lines years ago, except what's provided in the Ritter PSK - never had a cause to go fishing or trap hunting while out. If I was really out in the boondocks and afraid for my life it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.

I enjoy fishing, but I'd be dubious of my ability to feed myself with fish even with all my regular spinning tackle. It seems very unlikely that I could McGyver up some fish any better by hand with string and hooks. And my best chance of getting game with snares would be if the animal saw my snares and laughed itself unconcious! grin Fishing would give me something to do but I'd hate to depend on it.

Also my general First Aid grows with new tools, I'm packing more gauze because I bought some PriMed gauze that is compacted very small, its easy enough to carry 2 or 3 where I used to carry one. My general philosophy is to carry the same FAK on dayhikes as on 2-3 day hikes, the only expansion is for real group hikes, like for the Scouts I won't skimp on first aid - witness a day hike up a few weeks ago, guy slipped and gashed his leg, bleeding profusely. His buddy had a first aid kit, with no blood stopper bigger than a bandaid. God bless the ultralight philosophy. Granted, they were preparing to improvise and cut up a t-shirt, but they were happier still for me to pull out my reasonably compact FAK and pull out some gauze and 4x4s which handled the blood flow, and bandaged them up. 99% of my FAK is for the other hiker, not so much me. Coming across a downed hiker with just a handful of bandaids is about the stupidest feeling in the world.

Good points on the FAK, Lono. I've always been somewhat bewildered by the common practice of scaling your FAK to the size of the group or the planned length of the excursion. Sure, it makes sense to have more stuff for more people, but I'm referring to the tendency to plan for bigger injuries with more people. To an extent, a longer trip could equate to being further out, hence further from definitive care. Yet the whole point of planning ahead is the realization that your one day trip can become three (as the OP described). And isn't a severe bleeder an even bigger deal if you're alone than it would be if you had lots of other people with you?

I can understand the desire to limit weight but I'd only go ultra-light on the survival/first aid supplies if I was playing in a very well known and well travelled area, like a small park or car-campground close to a metro area. While you don't need to carry the kitchen sink, I'd rather err on the side of having a bit of extra capability than needing something I didn't bring.

#204753 - 07/15/10 05:40 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Good points on the FAK, Lono. I've always been somewhat bewildered by the common practice of scaling your FAK to the size of the group or the planned length of the excursion. Sure, it makes sense to have more stuff for more people, but I'm referring to the tendency to plan for bigger injuries with more people. To an extent, a longer trip could equate to being further out, hence further from definitive care. Yet the whole point of planning ahead is the realization that your one day trip can become three (as the OP described). And isn't a severe bleeder an even bigger deal if you're alone than it would be if you had lots of other people with you?

I can understand the desire to limit weight but I'd only go ultra-light on the survival/first aid supplies if I was playing in a very well known and well travelled area, like a small park or car-campground close to a metro area. While you don't need to carry the kitchen sink, I'd rather err on the side of having a bit of extra capability than needing something I didn't bring.

Exactly - when I say I scale for bigger trips (Scout-led hikes) I carry some additional supplies such as emergency treatment for prophylaxis, also because a 2 day trip can easily go out to 4 day trip, and your FAK must scale. I also advocate parcelling out additiaonl first aid supplies among Scouts, in the event something happens while you aren't there - or maybe it happens to you. I also carry more than most folks need 3 miles up a trail, again because if you encounter a severely traumatized hiker or climber, it doesn't matter how nearby SAR is, you are that person's aid for the next little while - hope you have what it takes.

#204754 - 07/15/10 06:06 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

When I'm traveling anywhere outside of city proper,I have my Ritter-psk in my front pocket.I've practiced with this kit alone,in my own Backyard & Nearby fields,& at the beach.My "10 Essentials"& Then some, are in this kit.I have caught fish at the beach,using only this kit/Mussels from the rocks,Butter-mouth perch,Very delicious!I've snared many mourning doves,& ate them,Very delicious!I've snared Many quail in the Santa Monica Mtns./ Ojai/Sespe/Lockwood Valley areas,& Have eaten & enjoyed them,using my Ritter-psk.Am I Plugging the Ritter-PSK? Sure,Why Not? It makes the Base for my equipment choices,Everytime!I make it a point to use these kits as,Often IS possible,& replenish/enhance them to the same degree.Works for Me!

#204775 - 07/16/10 03:54 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I have caught fish at the beach,using only this [Ritter PSK] kit/Mussels from the rocks,Butter-mouth perch,Very delicious!I've snared many mourning doves,& ate them,Very delicious!I've snared Many quail in the Santa Monica Mtns./ Ojai/Sespe/Lockwood Valley areas,& Have eaten & enjoyed them,using my Ritter-psk.
Excellent, Rich! Practice is the only way to get good at something. I'm very impressed that you've been able to catch fish from the ocean with a PSK.
HJ

#204776 - 07/16/10 04:13 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Heck, any list (starting from the Essentials) is good as long as you use it, or keep your pack always packed with it. Keep a print out handy, and check things off before you leave. Whittle or add to it here and there for your trip and local terrain, its all good.
Very well said.

...it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.
Me neither. Leaving off fishing and snare wire is a conscious decision on my part based on my priorites: thermal regulation, hydration, and signalling.

And I'd think of losing the P38 but its so small and just sits on a string around my neck next to my whistle, and I know that the first outing I leave it out, I'll stumble across the beautiful Norwegian female hiker with the pouting upper lip, struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...
lol. I actually had something like that happen. I was recovering from a broken leg so had taken everything possible out of my pack -- including my customary Ace bandages. On my hike, I encountered two rather attractive women, one of who had twisted her ankle. I felt like a complete idiot.

I'm keeping my P38 by golly; can bearing Norweigian women beware!

The one part of my kit that has grown over time is the First Aid Kit
Yeah, I carry extra 4x4's, roll gauze, triangular bandages, etc. You get a good bleeder, one 4x4 and a couple of 3x3's ain't gonna cut it. You've got to pile that stuff on there. The perscription meds thing (where I'm recommending a 3 day supply) I rarely see on lists, but if you take heart meds or something like that, it could be fatal if you're delayed. Not an area to be neglected.

HJ

#204785 - 07/16/10 06:33 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

... struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...

Sorry to rupture your dream guys, but lutefisk does not come in cans. The Swedish delicacy surströmming does, but I am afraid that opening those cans will result in a rather unmanly display of OMG, what is this??? sounds and gestures. Yes, those cans are supposed to be bulging as a result of the fermentation process.

For those interested in mans inhumanity towards fish (those are exact words from a British traveller's guide to Scandinavia), here's more about those aquired tastes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

About the P38: Most pocket knives and multi tools will have a can opener.

#204789 - 07/16/10 12:58 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

You under-estimate me my friend - not only would I allow the lass with the subtle over-bite to carry canned lutefisk, surströmming, or spam, I wouldn't blink if the gelatinous snack started slithering up my hand and took a nibble from my forearm. Its all about chivalry, tact and focussing on that wonderful Norwegian smile. On such things do our ultimate survival depend...

#204792 - 07/16/10 02:15 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Lono, I like the way you think, brother.

Surströmming comes in a bulging can and smells to high heaven? The things we do for love. lol

MostlyHarmless, yes a P38 isn't completely necessary is it? But a P38 will do a much nicer job than a can opener on an SAK or multi tool, it weighs nearly nothing, and takes up almost no space at all. Besides that, I already have one. smile

I actually have had occasion to use it. One time, I was hiking in to the mountains with my father in late summer. An early snow storm hit, dropping many cm of snow. People were afraid of getting trapped in the mountains since the only way out of the area was over a high pass and were leaving in a hurry. My father, having hiked in that area for many years, knew that storms like that usually pass through and are gone; we pressed on. We passed three men in such a panic to get out that they left behind a lot of food and gear. They told us we could have it. We went to the site, and lo and behold, there was at least a day and a half worth's of food, including two cans of beef. That evening, as we ate the delicious beef, we were quite thankful that we had brought a P38. We'd have been even more thankful for a beautiful Norwegian woman with lutefisk, but in life you take what you can get. lol

P38's are even better at picnics where people tend to bring cans more often than on hikes.

HJ

#204798 - 07/16/10 02:58 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have another category, that I think is critical - even more so than your "10 Essentials". And that is, "Carried on your BODY" (not in a pack). In this category I put the following: whistle, knife, butane lighter, cellphone (inclusion depends on how remote you'll be and if service is a possibility). I would not argue against carrying a firesteel in-pocket rather than a lighter, but personally I carry the firesteel in my pack and the lighter in my pocket. Maybe I should reverse that.

#204804 - 07/16/10 04:59 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: haertig]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Agreed. On your person carry is very important. When you leave camp for that quick photo ramble leaving your pack behind, whatcha gonna do when you twist an ankle when you're down by a rushing (noisy) stream in dense stream side willows?

Just for fun, I'll detail my "on person" carry below.

My list is directed toward the average hiker who typically hasn't given a lot of thought to preparedness ("I've got a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a camera. What else could I possibly need?"). Rather than giving them an overwhelming amount of info, I'm giving them the standard Ten Essentials, plus my successive list of supplements. I'll probably even say that everyone must carry the standard 10, should carry the next 10, and ought to consider the following 10 after that. I probably won't specify where said items should be carried. They'll pick that up over time if they hike with me much. Hope my approach is making sense.

You'll also notice my "second 10" are all relatively small, inexpensive items or are items you may already have on hand (e.g. watch, prescription meds). I'm aiming for maximum bang for the buck in an acceptably small package.

HJ

Typically on my person:
Pockets
-Lighter (in small Altoids tin)
-Chapstick
-Pen
-Paper
-SAK
-CRKT folder
-Cordage, 6 feet (approx)
-Bandana

Belt
-Cell phone

Neck chain
-Small compass
-ID (military "dog tags")
-P38 can opener
-Whistle

Other
-Watch (time, altimeter, barometer, & compass functions)

#204810 - 07/16/10 06:53 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

I break the essentials down into catagories with an eye on where and when I'm going and that Murphy will be coming with me.

Navigation (IMHO the most important)
1) Map, the CORRECT map, be it a trail map for suburban/semi-rural park hikes or a 1:50,000 topo with magnetic declination drawn in for a wilderness hike. It continues to amaze me that often I'm the only person around with these.
2) Compass + spare (button, zipper pull, etc)
3) Flashlight + spare bulb and batteries.
4) GPS (optional most of time)

Environment
1) Appropriate clothing for where you are going and what you are doing. Don't wear flannel in a heat wave or cotton t-shirts in the rain.
2) Pack extra clothing as required in case of an unplanned overnight or unexpected weather. You don't have to be comfortable, just alert and with all your extremeties usable.
3) Food and water as appropriate. You can always skimp on food, but running short of water is bad.
4) Toilet kit - Trowel, TP, baggie, hand sanitizer.

Emergency - I was once told by a SERE instructor that you cannot have too many knives, too much cord, and too many ways to start a fire.
1) First kit - Tailor as required. I tend to go heavy on moleskin, pepto, and kneebraces.
2) Fire kit - flint lighter + storm matches and your choice of flammable materias. Indulge your inner pyro.
3) Cutlery - Your choice. Just keep in mind that it's has to be able to take some abuse, may have to be used when your cold tired and stressed, and you're carrying it. My standbys are a Buck Crosslock and/or a SAK.
4) Cord - 30 foot/50 lb minimum and weatherproof
5) Space blanket and/or tarp (instant shelter)
6) Iodine tablets.

Rescue
1) Dead mans envelope (who, what, when, where) left in your car for SAR and/or with somebody at home. Not really required for park hikes, mandatory for off trail wilderness hikes.
2) Whistle
3) Mirror
4) Cell phone (optional)

Other:
Analog watch
Duct tape (often wrapped around hiking stick)

Edited by Mark_R (07/16/10 06:57 PM)
Edit Reason: grammer

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#204820 - 07/16/10 11:36 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Mark_R]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for your post. Good thoughts all. I particularly agree with you about navigation. I've gotten into three bad situations, one quite serious, because of navigational foul ups. Two were the foul ups of others, one was my not having a map for a particular area. Good route/trip planning and good navigation can stop problems before they start.

"Indulge your inner pyro". I like it. smile

HJ

#204824 - 07/17/10 12:30 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
A good starter list.
I can think of no hike I have taken without -
A top end back pack.
Toilet paper.
Handgun.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#204828 - 07/17/10 02:39 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ponder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, TP is pretty handy as is hand sanitizer and a digging implement, but I don't consider it "emergency" gear although with certain types of gastro-intestinal conditions maybe I should.

Won't argue with a good backpack although good footwear in my mind is even more important. As for a handgun, I suppose it depends on the laws in your area as well as the situation. I've never found the need for nor have I been willing to carry the weight of a firearm and ammo. Well, not since I left the army anyway. Nothing like a 23lbs M60 and multiple belts of ammo. Dang I wish I still had knees now like I had back then. smile

HJ

#204845 - 07/17/10 05:54 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

"...nor have I been willing to carry the weight of a firearm..."

If you drink one strong cup of coffee before you go for a hike, you will pee out the weight of a loaded S&W M360.

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#204853 - 07/17/10 10:28 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ponder]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Thw SW M360 has a 12 oz listed weight. Works out to about the same as a UDAP "Magnum" sized bear spray without the political and legal hassles involving guns. Also, it can be used on "he's just being friendly chewing on your leg" fido.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#204859 - 07/17/10 11:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Mark_R]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Speaking of pepper spray, Sierra Trading Post* has a 7.9 ounce size for $34.95. If you sign up for their email list, they constantly are giving out discounts. If you get their credit card, then shipping is free.

HJ

*I have no financial interest in STP and will receive no remuneration for this (or any other) post. However, if they offered me a beer, I'd probably take it.

#204874 - 07/18/10 11:28 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

When I'm traveling anywhere outside of city proper,I have my Ritter-psk in my front pocket.I've practiced with this kit alone,in my own Backyard & Nearby fields,& at the beach.My "10 Essentials"& Then some, are in this kit.I have caught fish at the beach,using only this kit/Mussels from the rocks,Butter-mouth perch,Very delicious!I've snared many mourning doves,& ate them,Very delicious!I've snared Many quail in the Santa Monica Mtns./ Ojai/Sespe/Lockwood Valley areas,& Have eaten & enjoyed them,using my Ritter-psk.

Great kudos to you, I bet you had a wonderful time doing all that smile

Am I Plugging the Ritter-PSK? Sure,Why Not? It makes the Base for my equipment choices,Everytime!I make it a point to use these kits as,Often IS possible,& replenish/enhance them to the same degree.Works for Me!

Your post touches a nerve on the delicate issue of redundancy. I try not to carry too much gear. Making the kit the foundation upon which you add the other gear is a very good idea. I like this philosophy very much (but I won't adopt it entirely, except perhaps on some ultra-light trips).

It is also much to be said about using kits versus never touching them until a true emergency raises its ugly head. I agree with you, the kits should be used, but that also requires you to have the discipline to replenish. Others swear by the philosophy that emergency items are never opened except for inspection. Each to his own. Myself, I will not hesitate to reach into my PSK to solve whatever practical problem, big or small, I meet on the trail - but I try to pack so I never have too. Such as bringing more cordage, a bigger knife, duct tape and so on...

I actually stayed away from pocket sized PSK's for a very long time because they did not fill any role within my pack. Now they do, but I had to tweak that "survival-in-a-tin" talisman to suit my purposes.

Richlacal, I did exactly the opposite of you: I started with Doug Ritter's PSK and TOOK OUT the fishing kit and some other items, which then made room for some things that are more important for me to have. But having that kit with me (along with it's minimalistic shelter brother, a pocket sized small ziplock bag with a poncho+heavy duty garbage bag) I still carry my backpack with extra clothing, some food and a full size bivy bag. More often than not, more cordage, a 4" knife, a multi-tool.. Works for me, even if it means some redundancy.

#204876 - 07/18/10 02:03 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Before I forget, Sierra Trading Post has a 30% discount right now. That link should get you the discount (which is an across the board discount). You'd then just do a search on UDAP, and the pepper spray, among other things, will come up. With the discount, the pepper spray's price is lowered from $34.95 to $24.46. Not too shabby, I'd say.

HJ

#204878 - 07/18/10 02:50 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

MostlyHarmless,

You bring up an excellent point: does one "reserve" one's PSK or other emergency supplies exclusively for emergencies or does one use them for normal everyday tasks? I do a little of both, but I generally leave my PSK intact. Because I keep the PSK intact, I do have to carry some redundant items. However, since I'm such a scatter brain, sometimes a little redundancy is better than not having something that I need.

Yesterday, for example, I went hiking to a place called Hermit Falls. I was getting a "hot spot" (pre-blister) on my heel. I took out some duct tape, and reached for my SAK. It wasn't in my pocket. Not good. But it wasn't a problem since I still had my fixed blade with me. I cut off a strip of duct tape, applied it to my foot, and went on my way, no problem. Thank God for redundancy.

HJ

#204881 - 07/18/10 06:18 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
SETI6equj5 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A
"I think it's interesting that in all the episodes of Survivorman I've ever seen he always sets snares but I've never once seen him catch anything."

Survivor Man needs licenses for hunting/trapping in most cases. It may be why we don't see that on the show, or he doesn't set enough traps to catch anything. 1 or 2 snares isn't enough

I might not know where I'm going, but I'll recognize it when I get there

#204882 - 07/18/10 06:35 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Mark_R]
SETI6equj5 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A
Originally Posted By: Mark_R
Thw SW M360 has a 12 oz listed weight. Works out to about the same as a UDAP "Magnum" sized bear spray without the political and legal hassles involving guns. Also, it can be used on "he's just being friendly chewing on your leg" fido.

or carry an airhorn...gives you another signaling device

I might not know where I'm going, but I'll recognize it when I get there

#204887 - 07/18/10 10:59 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: SETI6equj5]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Quote:

Another signaling device wouldn't be bad. I once hiked with a guy who had a portable ham radio (pre satellite phone era) in his pack in lieu of the conventional essentials.

The bear spray, or handgun, is for defense. Unlike home emergencies where the ambulance can be at your door in less than 10 minutes, it’s going to take a good amount of time to get to you on the trail. Even more time if they don't know exactly where you are. I'd just as soon not get bit.

#204892 - 07/19/10 01:42 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

**The 10 Essentials**
Map (topo, preferably around 1:25,000 scale with approx. 40' contour intervals)
Compass
Light (headlamp or flashlight)
Sun protection (hat, glasses, sunscreen)
Extra food & water
Extra clothing
Matches (or lighter or fire steel or sparker) <==at least 2 methods
Firestarter (tinder) -- e.g. Tinder Qwick, Wet Fire, Vaseline cotton balls, candle, etc.
Knife -- Fixed blade preferred
FAK

Preferably with water, you have at least a way to carry it (eg platypus soft bottle), and a way to boil it (eg small pot with wire hanger), depending on your size requirements, the boil pot could easily be the kit container. These should be independent backups of your normal water supplies. You of course know this, but the people reading your list may not. And let us not forget the ever-handy aquarium tubing for extracting from seeps.

Extra clothing: Work gloves of some sort should be carried at all times for the times you need to protect your hands, and extra socks (wool, natch) to protect your feet. Mittens are handy in colder weather, but an extra pair of wool socks can warm hands or feet. A watch cap, GI Poncho, and down vest are very handy to have as minimal emergency clothes.

Quote:

**Other essentials**
- Chapstick (SPF 30)
- Personal meds (3 day supply)
- Duct tape
- Whistle
- Signal Mirror
- Shelter (e.g. space blanket, space blanket bivvy sack, tube tent, etc.)
- Rain gear
- Watch
- Bandana
- Pen & paper

Cards or dice can be a handy other essential to kill boredom. GPS could be considered an "other essential" nowadays, though it shouldn't take the place of map & compass, since maps seldom break, lose signal, or have dead batteries. Cheap painters drop clothes can be used for temporary shelters, but are really inferior to a tube tent, as they tear easy, they are however cheap, compact, and light weight.

Just some thoughts,

C.Rowe

#204893 - 07/19/10 01:51 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: SETI6equj5]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: SETI6equj5
"I think it's interesting that in all the episodes of Survivorman I've ever seen he always sets snares but I've never once seen him catch anything."

Survivor Man needs licenses for hunting/trapping in most cases. It may be why we don't see that on the show, or he doesn't set enough traps to catch anything. 1 or 2 snares isn't enough

Les Stroud never had much luck hunting, snaring, or fishing, but he did a good job demonstrating the technique. I doubt that many of us would be so lost for so long that we would need to snare something to survive. Where I live, fishing is easy, so I carry braided fishline and snelled hooks. The thing about snare wire is that it is lightweight, compact, and has a hundred uses besides snaring. I carry about 15 feet of it in a 4 inch coil.

#204897 - 07/19/10 05:03 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Redundant is my middle name!When I go on overnighter's or longer treks,my total pack weight is 30lbs. minimum,& that's after Many years of cutting down!As I age,the logical step is to cut down further,since my bones will have less resistance to injury,however, my brain tell's me I've got it just about right,Mental Block? Perhap's!Stubborness?Most Definitely!I alway's seem to run into other hikers/campers that need a hand with something,& Most marvel when they see my "Redundancy" in action!When I've helped someone,I ask them to Pass it on,Hopefully,It keeps things in check as,There is not much worse than,having a Bummer in the Boonies!

#204899 - 07/19/10 05:59 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Most folk's think of a snare to trap mammals,i.e. Rabbit,Squirrel,porcupine,etc.,Even under the Best of conditions,Lest you have a decent background of Mammalian Behavior,You will need to set MANY snares/traps,with bait,scents,masking scent,etc.Birds on the other hand,are Quite easy to watch,& since they can fly,are quite choosy where they habitate,usually their seed source is very nearby their coveyhole.Braided fishing line,& snelled treblehooks are Ideal for catching birds on their scratch-lines.Birds don't smell humans,they see/hear them,If you spook a covey from thickets in the morning,they will be back, come suppertime.Being a Byrd Hunter,I'm guessing it's just something you overlooked,since you'd otherwise have your gauge with you.

#204905 - 07/19/10 12:08 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I don't know what's included in "personal meds" but I'd suggest adding a pretty good dose of antihistamine such as Benadryl or something quite powerful.

Good for treating bee sting for everyone.

This weekend while camping in sagebrush I re-learned how allergic I am and how vital anti-histamines are to my continued functioning in grasslands. (I'm fine in the mountains but not in hayfields and sage brush.)

#204906 - 07/19/10 12:47 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: unimogbert]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

I have friends allergic to various plants, so they always bring anti-histamines. On a trip to "mosquito hell country", we found out the hard way that having sufficient number of mosquito stings will cause your body to react to those stings: They swell and become quite more painful than usual, and you may even have "fewer shivering". For the most unlucky guys we're talking several hundred stings per person... First they washed off all mosquito repellent with an involuntary swim in the river, then they spent an hour in bug infested vegetation fixing their canoe... Luckily, one of them figured this was quite similar to his allergic reaction to whatever plant he's sensitive to, and administered some anti-histamine. Quite effective.

Anti-histamine is also great for preventing or at least lessen hangovers, which is one of those things allergic people usually learn pretty quick.

#204921 - 07/20/10 12:16 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have friends allergic to various plants, so they always bring anti-histamines. On a trip to "mosquito hell country", we found out the hard way that having sufficient number of mosquito stings will cause your body to react to those stings: They swell and become quite more painful than usual, and you may even have "fewer shivering". For the most unlucky guys we're talking several hundred stings per person... First they washed off all mosquito repellent with an involuntary swim in the river, then they spent an hour in bug infested vegetation fixing their canoe... Luckily, one of them figured this was quite similar to his allergic reaction to whatever plant he's sensitive to, and administered some anti-histamine. Quite effective.

Anti-histamine is also great for preventing or at least lessen hangovers, which is one of those things allergic people usually learn pretty quick.

I have actually noticed this effect too. After a LOT of mosquito bites, I sometimes feel a little 'jiggy'. This is rare because I take precautions against bug bites. I have built up some immunity to the histamine effects of bites and stings from a lifetime of being in the northwoods, but my DW who I imported from points south, is not so lucky.

#204940 - 07/20/10 06:30 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: SETI6equj5]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I believe that in the episode where Les is in a simulated airplane crash he catches a rabbit and cooks and eats it.

08 "Plane Crash" May 25, 2005 (2005-05-25)
Les simulates survival as a plane crash survivor in Temagami, Ontario in the winter, simulating a broken arm.

HJ

#204941 - 07/20/10 06:33 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: SETI6equj5]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Not a bad idea, but recall that I'm making a list that consists of successive sets of 10 items per set. There's no end to helpful things that one might bring along. The real question is: What in one of the first sets of 10 do you eliminate to make room for an air horn?

Everyone's making solid suggestions, but where does it fit in to the list in terms of priority?

HJ

#204944 - 07/20/10 07:32 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Crowe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Crowe
Just some thoughts, C.Rowe
And some very practical and good ones I might add.

Originally Posted By: Crowe
...with water, you have [to have] a way to boil it ...
I'm going to part company with you here and step out on a bit of a limb. The conventional wisdom is that one should place water treatment capability up fairly high on the list. For me, water treatment just barely makes my top thirty coming in just about last out of thirty.

Why? What's the #1 threat in N. America? Giardia. What's the gestation period of giardia? Two to three weeks. Recall that I'm building a kit for a 72 hour scenario. Giardia might get me a couple of weeks after I've gotten out of the mess, but dehydration might kill me that very day. In a pinch, I'd drink untreated water.

Would I rate water treatment so low outside of N. America? No! Nor would I rate water treatment so low in urban survival scenarios (e.g. after an earthquake). But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.

HJ

#204946 - 07/20/10 08:43 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.

HJ

Fair enough- when you're talking 10 items you have to draw the line somewhere. Yet purification tablets are extremely compact and pretty inexpensive. Even a small vial of household bleach will kill most stuff. You're absolutely right that dehydration is a much greater danger than water-born pathogens but what if you're not rescued right on cue at 72 hours? Or what if you get get the runs after 36 hours?

Again, I don't so much disagree with your ranking so much as I'd consider fudging it and stretching it to 11 items if need be. wink

#204949 - 07/20/10 09:39 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

When ever I see different survival lists, I like to relate them to someones experience.

An example is the "saga" of James Kim from California. Evaluate your list relative to his death and proceed.

If you are fortunate to have some personal experiences, than the list is more than academic.

* Died while searching for the Lost Dutchman Goldmine.

* Died on Mt Hood - any one of many will do.

* Died in your home when the elevator stuck.

* Died in your home during a home invasion.

* Died in your car under an overpass during the 1985 snowstorm in Colorado Springs.

* Died from a pit bull attack.

* Cut off your arm to get out of a rock climbing accident.

* Cut off your arm to get unstuck from the air conditioning duct.

* Died in Differiential Equations 415 Class at Virginia Tech

You get the idea. Pick your adventure. Look up deaths that occured during that activity in history. How is your list? What would have changed the outcome?

I can think of a few things besides the chapstick that don't make the top 50!

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#204950 - 07/20/10 09:58 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

I'm going to part company with you here and step out on a bit of a limb. The conventional wisdom is that one should place water treatment capability up fairly high on the list. For me, water treatment just barely makes my top thirty coming in just about last out of thirty.

Why? What's the #1 threat in N. America? Giardia. What's the gestation period of giardia? Two to three weeks. Recall that I'm building a kit for a 72 hour scenario. Giardia might get me a couple of weeks after I've gotten out of the mess, but dehydration might kill me that very day. In a pinch, I'd drink untreated water.

Would I rate water treatment so low outside of N. America? No! Nor would I rate water treatment so low in urban survival scenarios (e.g. after an earthquake). But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.

HJ

Fair enough, and a good point based on a valid philosophy. The ability to boil water, to me, is versatile enough to include, but your philosophy is sound, for a 72 hour kit is not essential, though, here in the northeast, a cup of hot water/tea can be good for staving off hypothermia or even pouring it into the platypus bag as an impromptu hot water bottle, while at the same time aiding with hydration. Heat/Shelter, Hydration, Signaling, and First Aid should be the priorities of the first 72 IMHO, but it is as always, a matter of taste and environment.

C. Rowe

Edited by Crowe (07/20/10 09:59 PM)

#204953 - 07/20/10 11:01 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Crowe]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

I will disagree with you both on the priority for water purification, particularly for a 72 hour kit. Within 2 minutes of my doorstep I have Lake Washington - you'd think I have plenty of water in a pinch. While hiking there are not many places this side of the Cascades where you are very distant from a potable water source. However, after an earthquake, Lake Washington will be fouled by a damaged oil pipeline, and also likely by sewage line ruptures - sewer mainline for my neighborhood crosses the Mercer Slough a mile south of here, approximately at the epicenter of the Seattle Fault zone. If that's the case, drinking the water could create bigger issues than giardia. As for purifying water while hiking, the size of MicroPur tablets is miniscule, and if you have had giardia (I have not) you wouldn't want it facing your future, even if your focus was only on the next 72 hours - because the diarrhea etc is prolonged. Potable water and a mechanism to purify it is an essential IMO.

#204954 - 07/20/10 11:12 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

But for a 72 hour survival scenario in a N. American wilderness area, water treatment falls very low on my list. Water itself ranks high, but treating that water ranks low.
Fair enough- when you're talking 10 items you have to draw the line somewhere. Yet purification tablets are extremely compact and pretty inexpensive. Even a small vial of household bleach will kill most stuff.
Points well taken. Which is why that purification means IS in the top 30 although it didn't make the top ten.

Based on everyone's input and the ensuing discussion, I've made some revisions/clarifications to the list. I'll post them in bit.

HJ

#204958 - 07/21/10 12:09 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ponder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ponder
When ever I see different survival lists, I like to relate them to someones experience... look up deaths that occurred during that activity in history. How is your list? What would have changed the outcome?
Excellent. That is absolutely the way to evaluate a list: Take a look at a real life situation. Would your list have helped? What would you drop? What would you add? What did you fail to anticipate?

An example is the "saga" of James Kim from California. Evaluate your list relative to his death and proceed.
My list is a hiking list, but let's see how it would stack up for the Kim family on their car trip. If you look at the original post, item 25 is a PLB. James Kim deploys the PLB, a 406 MHz signal indicating his identity and his GPS coordinates goes to a SARsat which notifies the AFRCC, the AFRCC notifies local authorities who proceed to the general vicinity and home in on the 121.5 MHz homing beacon, the entire family is rescued, and a minor note is posted in the local newspaper. I think my list would have done the Kim family a lot of good, yes?

Now, let's artificially restrict them to the first 20 items on the list, would that have helped? A map is the first item on my list. Carrying a map instead of just MapQuest instructions might have kept them out of the situation in the first place. A map might also have made Mr. Kim think twice about hoofing it out (although why he didn't just backtrack down the road they came in on I'll never know). A map could also have directed him to the lodge nearby. I can't think of anything in the top 20 (or top 30) that would be harmful, although his not filing a trip plan before leaving and the fact that searchers didn't know where to search would have been hard to overcome.

I can't think of too many things that would have helped him that aren't on my list except maybe a Ham Radio or a Satellite Phone, both of whose functions are covered by the PLB. And, please, I mean no disrespect to Mr. Kim or his family; I use his story in an effort to prevent what took his life from recurring.

What, if anything, would you have recommended for the Kim family that is not in my top thirty?

If you are fortunate to have some personal experiences, than the list is more than academic.
A wilderness SAR incident took my father's life. I've had two serious wilderness SAR incidents happen to me, either of which could have easily resulted in the loss of my life. My interest is far from academic.

HJ

#204959 - 07/21/10 12:15 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

Great list and wonderful discussion. Lots to think about here. I try to keep it light, partly because I am usually carrying other heavy stuff (rocks!). My lists are similar to yours, but I made mine up from a Ritter PSK (enhanced before they came that way, now sometimes with a Mk 5), a modified AMK .3 ultralight FAK and a Heatsheet. I like starting with the kit because it makes the cost less, now that there are kits worth buying (Thanks a lot Doug!!). There are lots of other things in my pack that can be used, but these are the SURVIVAL items. The others are day to day items. Some of your list (i.e. the watch) I would not have thought to put on a list, because I wear one all the time. In today's world lots of people don't and it is good to put on the list. I would put the PLB on the first list, I think getting found is right up there with hydration & shelter.

For a two way radio, the primary one to consider is an aviation band unit. Know the local center (traffic control) frequency and you are seldom out of range of an airliner for more than a few minutes in the continental US. I carry one for work and have checked it in the deep wilderness over much of the US. Only a problem in Northern Canada and Alaska. I put it far behind a PLB (plus it is larger and heavier) but I carried one long before the PLB was around.

One item I take out is the backup compass. I carry one for work (a Brunton Pocket Transit) and can use lots of other things (including my watch) to find direction. I also know that if I need a backup compass I probably should be staying put and waiting for rescue :-(.

The best,

JerryF

#204960 - 07/21/10 12:17 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I think my recommendation might be as follows: an antihistamine, Imodium, and an anti-inflammatory as well as any important prescription meds that one might be taking. I also almost always pack salt, which while not exactly a medicine does make a sort of "poor man's Gatorade". I just grab an extra salt packet at a fast food joint an bring one or two along.

HJ

#204962 - 07/21/10 12:35 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Lono]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

I will disagree with you both on the priority for water purification, particularly for a 72 hour kit. Within 2 minutes of my doorstep I have Lake Washington - you'd think I have plenty of water in a pinch. While hiking there are not many places this side of the Cascades where you are very distant from a potable water source. However, after an earthquake, Lake Washington will be fouled by a damaged oil pipeline, and also likely by sewage line ruptures - sewer mainline for my neighborhood crosses the Mercer Slough a mile south of here, approximately at the epicenter of the Seattle Fault zone. If that's the case, drinking the water could create bigger issues than giardia. As for purifying water while hiking, the size of MicroPur tablets is miniscule, and if you have had giardia (I have not) you wouldn't want it facing your future, even if your focus was only on the next 72 hours - because the diarrhea etc is prolonged. Potable water and a mechanism to purify it is an essential IMO.
Well, maybe I need to bump up water purification priority up a bit. Do recall that this list is a hiking kit not a general 72 hour home kit or car kit or something. Water purification would go WAY up in priority in town. I think boiling becomes a much higher priority in a disaster scenario since boiling is about as effective as one can get of a water treatment method -- except for things like the oil pipeline you mention. Also, in places like the Pac NW or in any cooler season or place, boiling to make a hot drink is of inestimable value. Tea hasn't been called the mountaineer's friend for lo these many years without reason.

HJ

#204971 - 07/21/10 07:06 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

What, if anything, would you have recommended for the Kim family that is not in my top thirty?

Having some "extra" on a car trip is somewhat different than packing sensible for a hiking trip... For a drive through winter mountains, how about loads of warm clothes, sleeping bags, lots of food and a stove? Clothing, food and possibly a stove (if that's how you plan to treat water) is on your list, just bring more of it.

Actually, this tragic story demonstrates that the family actually fared pretty well (relatively - I'm sure they felt utterly miserable, but they were alive and unhurt), except for the one who had to go on a poorly planned and executed rescue mission.

More about the clothing: If you absolutely insist on leaving the road to plow through unknown amounts of snow in unknown territory (short answer: Don't!), then at least choose clothing appropriate for bashing in the snow. Gaiters plus clothes that won't soak up immediately and are at least wind proof, and good boots. Membrane clothing (such as goretex) are excellent for wading through snow, while your typical casual wear are possibly the worst. But in essence, this point is all covered by the term clothing appropriate for the season.

For me, this story shows me that the urge to DO SOMETHING can kill you. Your average male will do whatever he can and spare nothing to save his family. Sometimes, the best thing is just to sit tight and essentially do nothing. Of course, while you do nothing you do your best to implement the thousands of small tricks that can make life just a tiny bit easier. Such as a more comfortable cushion, a bit more insulation, a new way of melting water...

Which brings us to the most important part of what you bring with you: Your brain. The mindset summarized in the STOP acronym and the British equivalent make yourself some tea are extremely important.

#204973 - 07/21/10 02:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

And propane heaters. smile You can bring a lot in a car, can't you?

Still, for a hiking list, I think this list does OK for the Kim's car trip. A map and a PLB are pretty good things to have along.

Which brings us to the most important part of what you bring with you: Your brain.
Absent one's brain, there's very little that any list can do to help.

Thanks for all your good comments,

HJ

#205220 - 07/28/10 05:44 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
TANSTAF1 Offline

Loc: Born in ME, in exile in MA
I am new here, but want to add a +1 for some means of potable water. I was looking at the Doug Ritter PSK and noted that the only method seemed to be using the aluminum foil to boil water which is OK in cold weather but who wants to drink it without waiting for it to cool down if it 90+ degrees outside. As for Micropur tablets, you need to wait 4 hours and still need something to put it in although I suppose the survival pouch would work or whatever you brought your initial water supply in.

But when your initial water supply runs out and you don't have time to boil or disinfect, what do you all think of the Frontier water filter straw - it weighs 1 oz.

#205222 - 07/28/10 06:22 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: TANSTAF1]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm going to buy one of those Frontier straws to try it out. It looks to be a pretty handy option, although I'd want a backup method in case it broke or failed.

Welcome to ETS, TANSTAF1. grin

#205225 - 07/28/10 06:50 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

The PSK+ is due out in August, and it will have Chlorine Dioxide tabs in it as well as a water container, small light, and small knife.

The only question I have about the McNett/Frontier straw filter is how prone to clogging is it, and how easy is it to unclog? My pump type filter comes with not one but two pre-filters and comes with a brush to clean the primary filter if it gets clogged.

I guess if you're in an area with clear water, clogging may not be a big issue, although maybe prefiltering through a bandana would be advisable.

HJ

#205227 - 07/28/10 07:28 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I'm going to buy one of those Frontier straws to try it out. It looks to be a pretty handy option, although I'd want a backup method in case it broke or failed.

If I run out of water and don't have a real filter with me, I'd boil the water as a first choice, followed by chlorine dioxide tablets, iodine tablets, the Frontier straw, and drinking untreated water last.

I get the idea that you want to replace the Frontier straw after using it.

#205230 - 07/28/10 07:42 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Quote:
I'd want a backup method in case it broke or failed.

Seems to me the only way you would know it failed is if you become ill with a water borne agent. wink

Pete

#205233 - 07/28/10 08:53 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

IIRC the Frontier is supposed to treat 20 gallons of water before being discarded. That seems to imply a single-use or few-uses item. But potentially a lifesaver in an emergency situation.

#205236 - 07/28/10 09:32 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Twenty gallons isn't bad although that longevity will vary greatly depending on water conditions. If you're drinking water that is gray because it's so laden with glacial silt, I bet that you'd get only a few gallons.

Twenty gallons for one person would pretty much take care of that individual's water needs for a couple of weeks.

HJ

#205241 - 07/28/10 10:00 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: paramedicpete]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:

Seems to me the only way you would know it failed is if you become ill with a water borne agent. wink
Yep. There's no reliable way that I've ever heard of to test a filter unless you've got access to some sophisticated lab equipment. There's no "home kit" that you can buy.

I guess you just have to replace your filter periodically or use other means. The lack of a means to verify that the darn thing works is a HUGE negative on filters.

HJ

#205246 - 07/29/10 12:10 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Well, by "fail" I basically meant mechanically, visibly so- like part of it coming out or not fitting together. Obviously the only way to really know is if you get sick or die, but that can also be said of every other portable method of cleaning/purifying water. Even boiled Dioxin or Benzine would probably still kill you, wouldn't it?

#205415 - 08/02/10 03:27 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Well, by "fail" I basically meant mechanically, visibly so- like part of it coming out or not fitting together. Obviously the only way to really know is if you get sick or die, but that can also be said of every other portable method of cleaning/purifying water.
It's a little different with a filter. With things that "normal" treatment should handle, boiling for example is pretty foolproof, and you can verify that water is in fact boiling. With a filter, there's no way to tell if the internals are still functioning properly.

The reason I mention this is because I bought a filter in 2001. It's now about 10 years old. Should I rely on it? Should I junk it? I don't really have a way of knowing.

HJ

#205417 - 08/02/10 03:50 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Very true, Jim. But as I said, you can see water is boiling but that won't tell you if chemicals in it will kill you or not. The big risk there would be urban water after a disaster where petroleum or other chemicals could pollute the water.

With a filter I surely wouldn't rely on one that had been stored for 10 years! But that's just me.

#205423 - 08/02/10 04:51 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Here's an Idea,How about putting some food coloring/clean sand/fish oil into some water,& then run it through the filter, process it as you would like any other source,however you can then,examine it, smell it/taste it/drink it-the end results aren't gonna' croak you,& you'll know whether to toss that"10 year-old,but still expensive,Filter!

#205426 - 08/02/10 05:17 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Very true, Jim. But as I said, you can see water is boiling but that won't tell you if chemicals in it will kill you or not. The big risk there would be urban water after a disaster where petroleum or other chemicals could pollute the water.

With a filter I surely wouldn't rely on one that had been stored for 10 years! But that's just me.
Agreed. In an urban emergency setting, there are a lot of potential contaminants that a backpacking filter (or boiling or chemical treatment) just aren't going to touch. For my situation, I live close to a creek that can be drunk from without treatment, and I also have 25 gallons of water in 1 gallon bottles. I'd like to have more water, but I'm in an apartment, and that apartment has no garage and not a whole lot of storage.

Re the backpacking filter, it's actually a "user" filter not an "emergency" filter. In other words it hasn't been stored in a box somewhere; it's been out on the trail with me. I truly wish there were a way to verify its functioning. Even right out of the box, there's no way to tell if a filter works. frown

I like using a filter (as opposed to boiling or chem treatment) since I think the taste of unchlorinated water is such a treat compared to tap water at home. I detest the taste of iodine treated water, and the smell is even worse. Chlorine dioxide is a little better but still nasty, and I hate having to wait for the treatment to take effect when I'm thirsty. Boiling requires a lot of time, and who the heck wants hot drinking water on a 95F degree day. Because of all that, I really wish there were a way to verify a filter's function.

HJ

#205427 - 08/02/10 05:21 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

There probably is a way but I don't know it. I wonder if there're any test kits you can buy? Filters are a great way to go; no waiting for the chemicals to do the job, no noxious tastes and no drinking 120 degree water. Short of a true test I guess the best tactic is probably to get the most reputable product and just give it a shot.

#205428 - 08/02/10 05:25 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Phaedrus]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

There are no tests I'm aware of unless one has access to a lab. If someone could come up with a reliable, reasonably priced test, I bet they'd sell well. As it is, there are scores of people out there using filters that may or may not work. Good thing the waters in the wilds of N. America are actually pretty darn clean. I bet that if the waters were as contaminated with giardia as filter companies would have us think that there would be a lot more cases of illness.

HJ

#205432 - 08/02/10 05:56 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Very good point. When I'm up at Amisk Lake in Sask we always drink right from the lake. The lodge gets their water there to with no filtration.

#205435 - 08/02/10 01:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Good thing the waters in the wilds of N. America are actually pretty darn clean. I bet that if the waters were as contaminated with giardia as filter companies would have us think that there would be a lot more cases of illness.
HJ

I agree, the waters here are very clean once you move away from civilization. There are very few cases of Giardia reported, however I still treat my water if I have any doubt as to it's source....especially in some low mountain areas where there are open range cattle grazing. That creek water may look and taste pristine where you are, however miles away and above you there could be herds of cows that have little disregard for sanitation practices...

John Lubbock

#205442 - 08/02/10 02:19 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

There is a medical researcher here in California who is also a passionate backcountry enthusiast. He has access to a very high tech lab. He has, over a period of years, taken water samples from all over the Sierra Nevada. He's reached some interesting conclusions:
1. Water in the Sierra Nevada is generally safe to drink.
2. Water in the Sierra Nevada is generally cleaner than most municipal water supplies.
3. Giardia cannot survive the winter in the Sierra Nevada above 10,000' due to harsh freeze-thaw cycles.
4. Water near permanent human habitation is generally NOT safe to drink.
5. Water in areas where livestock grazing is permitted is generally NOT safe to drink.

I try to base my water treament decisions on the above. Close to trailheads or in heavily used areas, I treat my water. If there is livestock anywhere in the area, I treat the water.

On the other hand, in lesser used and remote areas, particularly above 10,000', I don't treat my water at all.

HJ

#209377 - 10/09/10 05:35 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting. I treat everything. (Or bring tap water from home for shorter hikes)

#209386 - 10/09/10 07:14 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: TANSTAF1]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: TANSTAF1
But when your initial water supply runs out and you don't have time to boil or disinfect, what do you all think of the Frontier water filter straw - it weighs 1 oz.

I wouldn't rely on them. They are only effective to 3.0 microns. That's only partially effective against the larger bugs: Crypto and Giardia, and completely ineffective against bacteria such as Salmonella and E.Coli (which have a much shorter incubation period). Sawyer makes a 0.1 micron in-line filter that can be bought separately or as part of their water filtering bottle. I use one of these filters with a Camelbak Bite-Flip cap on a Nalgene 1L water bottle as my standard day hike filter. It can also be hooked up in-line in the hose of a hydration bladder, and is easily field maintainable.

#209389 - 10/09/10 07:22 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Quote:

Yep. There's no reliable way that I've ever heard of to test a filter unless you've got access to some sophisticated lab equipment. There's no "home kit" that you can buy.

The First Need XL comes with a test dye. Add a few drops to your source water and pump through the filter. If the output water has any blue tint the filter needs to be replaced.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.