Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#204798 - 07/16/10 02:58 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I have another category, that I think is critical - even more so than your "10 Essentials". And that is, "Carried on your BODY" (not in a pack). In this category I put the following: whistle, knife, butane lighter, cellphone (inclusion depends on how remote you'll be and if service is a possibility). I would not argue against carrying a firesteel in-pocket rather than a lighter, but personally I carry the firesteel in my pack and the lighter in my pocket. Maybe I should reverse that.

#204804 - 07/16/10 04:59 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: haertig]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Agreed. On your person carry is very important. When you leave camp for that quick photo ramble leaving your pack behind, whatcha gonna do when you twist an ankle when you're down by a rushing (noisy) stream in dense stream side willows?

Just for fun, I'll detail my "on person" carry below.

My list is directed toward the average hiker who typically hasn't given a lot of thought to preparedness ("I've got a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a camera. What else could I possibly need?"). Rather than giving them an overwhelming amount of info, I'm giving them the standard Ten Essentials, plus my successive list of supplements. I'll probably even say that everyone must carry the standard 10, should carry the next 10, and ought to consider the following 10 after that. I probably won't specify where said items should be carried. They'll pick that up over time if they hike with me much. Hope my approach is making sense.

You'll also notice my "second 10" are all relatively small, inexpensive items or are items you may already have on hand (e.g. watch, prescription meds). I'm aiming for maximum bang for the buck in an acceptably small package.

HJ

Typically on my person:
Pockets
-Lighter (in small Altoids tin)
-Chapstick
-Pen
-Paper
-SAK
-CRKT folder
-Cordage, 6 feet (approx)
-Bandana

Belt
-Cell phone

Neck chain
-Small compass
-ID (military "dog tags")
-P38 can opener
-Whistle

Other
-Watch (time, altimeter, barometer, & compass functions)

#204810 - 07/16/10 06:53 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

I break the essentials down into catagories with an eye on where and when I'm going and that Murphy will be coming with me.

Navigation (IMHO the most important)
1) Map, the CORRECT map, be it a trail map for suburban/semi-rural park hikes or a 1:50,000 topo with magnetic declination drawn in for a wilderness hike. It continues to amaze me that often I'm the only person around with these.
2) Compass + spare (button, zipper pull, etc)
3) Flashlight + spare bulb and batteries.
4) GPS (optional most of time)

Environment
1) Appropriate clothing for where you are going and what you are doing. Don't wear flannel in a heat wave or cotton t-shirts in the rain.
2) Pack extra clothing as required in case of an unplanned overnight or unexpected weather. You don't have to be comfortable, just alert and with all your extremeties usable.
3) Food and water as appropriate. You can always skimp on food, but running short of water is bad.
4) Toilet kit - Trowel, TP, baggie, hand sanitizer.

Emergency - I was once told by a SERE instructor that you cannot have too many knives, too much cord, and too many ways to start a fire.
1) First kit - Tailor as required. I tend to go heavy on moleskin, pepto, and kneebraces.
2) Fire kit - flint lighter + storm matches and your choice of flammable materias. Indulge your inner pyro.
3) Cutlery - Your choice. Just keep in mind that it's has to be able to take some abuse, may have to be used when your cold tired and stressed, and you're carrying it. My standbys are a Buck Crosslock and/or a SAK.
4) Cord - 30 foot/50 lb minimum and weatherproof
5) Space blanket and/or tarp (instant shelter)
6) Iodine tablets.

Rescue
1) Dead mans envelope (who, what, when, where) left in your car for SAR and/or with somebody at home. Not really required for park hikes, mandatory for off trail wilderness hikes.
2) Whistle
3) Mirror
4) Cell phone (optional)

Other:
Analog watch
Duct tape (often wrapped around hiking stick)

Edited by Mark_R (07/16/10 06:57 PM)
Edit Reason: grammer

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#204820 - 07/16/10 11:36 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Mark_R]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Hi, Mark,

Thanks for your post. Good thoughts all. I particularly agree with you about navigation. I've gotten into three bad situations, one quite serious, because of navigational foul ups. Two were the foul ups of others, one was my not having a map for a particular area. Good route/trip planning and good navigation can stop problems before they start.

"Indulge your inner pyro". I like it. smile

HJ

#204824 - 07/17/10 12:30 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
A good starter list.
I can think of no hike I have taken without -
A top end back pack.
Toilet paper.
Handgun.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#204828 - 07/17/10 02:39 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ponder]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Yeah, TP is pretty handy as is hand sanitizer and a digging implement, but I don't consider it "emergency" gear although with certain types of gastro-intestinal conditions maybe I should.

Won't argue with a good backpack although good footwear in my mind is even more important. As for a handgun, I suppose it depends on the laws in your area as well as the situation. I've never found the need for nor have I been willing to carry the weight of a firearm and ammo. Well, not since I left the army anyway. Nothing like a 23lbs M60 and multiple belts of ammo. Dang I wish I still had knees now like I had back then. smile

HJ

#204845 - 07/17/10 05:54 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Hikin_Jim]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
"...nor have I been willing to carry the weight of a firearm..."

If you drink one strong cup of coffee before you go for a hike, you will pee out the weight of a loaded S&W M360.

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#204853 - 07/17/10 10:28 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: ponder]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Thw SW M360 has a 12 oz listed weight. Works out to about the same as a UDAP "Magnum" sized bear spray without the political and legal hassles involving guns. Also, it can be used on "he's just being friendly chewing on your leg" fido.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#204859 - 07/17/10 11:45 PM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Mark_R]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Speaking of pepper spray, Sierra Trading Post* has a 7.9 ounce size for $34.95. If you sign up for their email list, they constantly are giving out discounts. If you get their credit card, then shipping is free.

HJ

*I have no financial interest in STP and will receive no remuneration for this (or any other) post. However, if they offered me a beer, I'd probably take it.

#204874 - 07/18/10 11:28 AM Re: Emergency Hiking Gear List -- Your Thoughts? [Re: Richlacal]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
When I'm traveling anywhere outside of city proper,I have my Ritter-psk in my front pocket.I've practiced with this kit alone,in my own Backyard & Nearby fields,& at the beach.My "10 Essentials"& Then some, are in this kit.I have caught fish at the beach,using only this kit/Mussels from the rocks,Butter-mouth perch,Very delicious!I've snared many mourning doves,& ate them,Very delicious!I've snared Many quail in the Santa Monica Mtns./ Ojai/Sespe/Lockwood Valley areas,& Have eaten & enjoyed them,using my Ritter-psk.

Great kudos to you, I bet you had a wonderful time doing all that smile

Originally Posted By: Richlacal

Am I Plugging the Ritter-PSK? Sure,Why Not? It makes the Base for my equipment choices,Everytime!I make it a point to use these kits as,Often IS possible,& replenish/enhance them to the same degree.Works for Me!

Your post touches a nerve on the delicate issue of redundancy. I try not to carry too much gear. Making the kit the foundation upon which you add the other gear is a very good idea. I like this philosophy very much (but I won't adopt it entirely, except perhaps on some ultra-light trips).

It is also much to be said about using kits versus never touching them until a true emergency raises its ugly head. I agree with you, the kits should be used, but that also requires you to have the discipline to replenish. Others swear by the philosophy that emergency items are never opened except for inspection. Each to his own. Myself, I will not hesitate to reach into my PSK to solve whatever practical problem, big or small, I meet on the trail - but I try to pack so I never have too. Such as bringing more cordage, a bigger knife, duct tape and so on...

I actually stayed away from pocket sized PSK's for a very long time because they did not fill any role within my pack. Now they do, but I had to tweak that "survival-in-a-tin" talisman to suit my purposes.

Richlacal, I did exactly the opposite of you: I started with Doug Ritter's PSK and TOOK OUT the fishing kit and some other items, which then made room for some things that are more important for me to have. But having that kit with me (along with it's minimalistic shelter brother, a pocket sized small ziplock bag with a poncho+heavy duty garbage bag) I still carry my backpack with extra clothing, some food and a full size bivy bag. More often than not, more cordage, a 4" knife, a multi-tool.. Works for me, even if it means some redundancy.

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.