Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#20448 - 10/23/03 04:34 PM Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Marie Offline

I recently landed in a major airport at night and while the plane was docking the lights inside the airplane kept going off (this happened over and over again). I was surprised to find that no emergency lights came on at all inside the plane. Even though we were right next to a bright airport terminal, the plane itself was surprisingly almost completely dark.

The first time the lights went off it was for a moment and there were a few "oh's" but very little reaction. However, as it happened several times in a row for longer periods of time it surprised me that there was almost a sense of panic by some people. I thought of it as nothing more than a minor incovenience. I was thinking of where my flashlights were and I was busy reaching for them... after all, I had a Photon II in my left pocket, an Infinity Ultra in my backpack front pocket, a Twin Task in my backpack main compartment, another Photon on my keyring in backpack... I felt safe and prepared.

So as the lights went out the second time, I pulled out the Photon and turned it on (while I was reaching for the Ultra in case someone else needed it). I was surprised how much better people felt with some light in the cabin. I was also surprised to see no other lights going on. I didn't really feel like I needed it on, but I thought it might make other people feel better and it seemed to do just that.

So, on a commercial airplane with about 100 people, as far as I could tell, I was the only one with a flashlight (4 actually). If this had been an emergency situation, I think the panic level because of the darkness may have risen quickly. A dark plane feels pretty claustrophobic. I noticed that I wasn't worried about the plane or my safety (I knew I could see to get out), but I was a bit nervous of other people's reactions to the situation. Now there seemed to be no emergency, just a docking issue where the plane was losing power instead of hooking up to the airport's power system.

Interestingly, I had also recently done something that I thought might be useful. I had thought about an emergency situation (such as being in a plane) and I worried that if I were to just carry a small flashlight in my pocket, pull it out and use it, I might get bumped and lose it. So I added a cord to my extra Photon II. I actually tie it onto my belt loop and put it in my pocket so if I fall or get bumped, it'd still be with me no matter what. My shirt covers the little cord so nobody sees. I have a Photon on my keyring but my keys aren't always with me in my right pocket. But I always keep my other Photon II in my left pocket just in case. I had also put on the cords that came with the Infinity and with the Twin Task for the same reason. There would be nothing worse than needing a flashlight, having one, but losing it while you're trying to leave just because you tripped or got bumped.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank this forum for all the great advice and lists and excuses to buy more and more really fun gear. I realized I could have stayed in that plane, had light until dawn, drank water, eaten snacks, fixed minor medical issues, read my book, listened to cds, and been perfectly fine. I was a well planned, self-contained unit!

So I realized even if I never use even one piece of my gear ever again, I will always feel safer for having thought of what I would do in an emergency situation and for having the right gear to help me through it! Thanks!

Everyone's getting Photons for Christmas this year. I'm now willing to take the teasing I'll get for giving them!

#20449 - 10/23/03 04:49 PM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
I congratulate you on your thinking in advance. I have also given Photon II lights as gifts, but on the spur of the moment rather for Christmas.

I will demonstrate my Photon II, my Princeton Tec Blast, and my Arc AAA to friends of the family and relatives.

The guys who have seen them look politely interested. The women will be very interested. I will say how many times have you gotten to your front door and it's dark and you're fishing for your keys and trying to find the lock and maybe your arms are loaded with gorceries.

If the women are sincerely interested, I will simply offer them one of the lights. Without exception they have chosen the Photon II because they can use it with one hand. Then I buy myself another Photon II. I've gone through a handful of white Photon II's that way.

Strangely enough, the guys' attitude is more like, I don't need some cute little light. I can find my way in the dark. It's gotten so that I don't even show my pocket lights to guys anymore. It's basically a waste of time.

#20450 - 10/23/03 04:53 PM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Anonymous
Unregistered

]Marie[

If you live in Europe, I would suggest buying a glowring to attach it to your photon light so that you can see it in the dark.

The tritium glowring last for about ten years.

You can't import it to the USA as there is a restriction on it.

X2 Glowring

Traser Glowrings

#20451 - 10/24/03 12:48 AM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
If you look around, you can find glowrings in the US - usually someone who brought them back in their luggage. Both my wife's keyring and mine have one, and BOTH cats collars have one - however, one collar is "MIA" at the moment, so I could really use another. Of course, I no longer have a source
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#20452 - 10/24/03 02:27 AM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Marie Offline

Where can I get a glowring in Europe? I live in the US but I visit Europe at least once or twice a year. Thanks for the suggestion!

#20453 - 10/24/03 03:35 AM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Anonymous
Unregistered

]Marie[

Checkout the traser website for the stockist in UK.

Traser stockist in UK

I bought mine online from adventurekit.

http://www.adventurekit.com/

I would suggest getting the green glowring as it's much more brighter compared to the other colours.

HTH

#20454 - 10/24/03 08:57 AM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

you do know that it's not allowed in the us.....

#20455 - 10/24/03 02:29 PM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
<cynical reply>

What IS allowed in the U.S. anymore?

</cynical reply>

#20456 - 10/25/03 05:00 PM Re: Photon II and a Dark Commercial Airplane
Anonymous
Unregistered

You convinced me. I had no idea what this light was until I read your message and explored the web.
I now have two of them on order, as I travel by plane a great deal and spend many nights in different hotel rooms around the world.
Great insurance.

Thanks for the lead.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.