Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204510 - 07/10/10 10:33 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Seems to me that every organization has a Barney Fife. You know the type, a little too enthusiastic, and with a warped sense of priority and proportion.

That sort of guy makes a good sidekick and functionary as long as they are tightly supervised and kept away from anything that might cause harm.

The issue isn't so much a matter of a security guy going too far. It is a matter of who put him in a position where his lack of judgment was allowed to play out.

#204514 - 07/10/10 11:53 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Art_in_FL]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
If the fake gunman had gotten shot or if a patient had gotten hurt, then things would have gotten super weird. It's a good thing they didn't try that nonsense in Texas, Kentucky or Utah, where someone would have been armed probably.

#204575 - 07/12/10 02:32 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Susan]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Susan
why did they hit Intensive Care, where the sickest people are?

Why not? I've been peripherally involved with the planning of drills, and I see long lists of things that can't be hit. Sometimes the only legal exercise target is the vending machine by the loading dock becuase everyone is afraid of potentially interfering with normal operations. Same kind of thinking says "well, it's just a firedrill, we won't evacuate anyone becuase we've never had a real fire before."

The only thing I'd say is off limits for this kind of drill is ED, OR and pediatrics. Although those are other places where a nut is likely to crack.

But from what I've seen of this, there is plenty of blame to go around. Sounds like the security director was a twit, but they guy who was telling him to run a drill without training or budget needs to go to.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#204580 - 07/12/10 03:37 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: ironraven]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"The only thing I'd say is off limits for this kind of drill is ED, OR and pediatrics."

OR, sure, but ED and Pediatrics? I am curious why you think those two should be off limits, but IC shouldn't be. ED: a few broken bones, a dog bite and junkies trying to connive a fix. Pediatrics? That's just babies, they're either crying or sleeping, and they wouldn't know a terrorist from banana.

It isn't like all the patients in ICU are supremely stable. One had a blocked airway at the time.

And it didn't sound like that off-duty cop did his homework, either.

Sue

#204612 - 07/12/10 04:39 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Susan]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ironraven
The only thing I'd say is off limits for this kind of drill is ED, OR and pediatrics.

Be honest... Are you the guy who masterminded the drill in the article? crazy

I'm so irritated by the blatant negligence of this drill that I can't even critique the response of the nurses.

#204626 - 07/12/10 09:16 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: ireckon]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL
"Sometimes the only legal exercise target is the vending machine by the loading dock because everyone is afraid of potentially interfering with normal operations."

Actually drills involving the receiving/loading dock/ mail centers are good ideas- these areas are frequently "passed through" in workplace violence incidents. Shipping companies, vendors coming and going, employees passing through the area on the way to fastest outside smoking area. Goblins and other "disgruntled"s prefer the less restricted areas than coming through the front door reception.

And from a timing standpoint, shift change is one of the higher vulnerability timeframes.

The shooting this morning in Albuquerque first 911 call in was at 9:26AM- It is being described as an ex boyfriend relationship and something tells me that a Monday morning shooter works themselves up over a weekend and strikes early in the day.

So that we don't get too far off the "urban preparedness" theme, what can you do to protect yourself if a "pitched gun-battle" starts breaking out over in accounting? :-)

#204629 - 07/12/10 10:07 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: capsu78
So that we don't get too far off the "urban preparedness" theme, what can you do to protect yourself if a "pitched gun-battle" starts breaking out over in accounting? :-)

You'd have to go to one of the gun sites I frequent to see my honest response.

#204635 - 07/13/10 01:25 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Lock the door and hope they did your payroll already? crazy

#204636 - 07/13/10 01:32 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Phaedrus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
[quote=MDinana

A scare would harm the pts less than being shot in their beds! If I was armed in that situations I'd readily assess that I was surrounded by the most vulnerable people imaginable. Would you not be spurred to immediate action? Assuming of course that you believed you were in genuine peril?

Yes and no. I've seen a lot more people survive a gunshot than a cardiac arrest.

And sometimes, the best action is no action. "Don't just do something, stand there!" Why do a shoot out in the middle of the ICU, when you can do it at any time up to the point he starts shooting? Let the day ride out a little and see where you may end up.

#204641 - 07/13/10 02:40 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Originally Posted By: capsu78

Hit the concrete floor and start digging.

Keep an eye on Dallas. If the schmucks in my company's payroll department don't clean up their sloppy work, someone is going to get mad. TX is one of those gun places.

Sue

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.