The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204408 - 07/08/10 05:16 AM Short, high-intensity weekly workout
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Buddy pushing weekly, low-rep, higher-weight, to-failure weight training as most efficient.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#204410 - 07/08/10 07:29 AM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: dweste]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

The problem with such methods is that even youths in their prime can end up so sore that they give up on the program. Then again it is in the blush of youth that the need to rush things seems most urgent.

As you get older that sort of method doesn't really save you as much time as it might otherwise because it may take two, perhaps three days, for even nominal recovery. Injury and debilitating pain are also more common. As one weight trainer put it: The idea is to stimulate the muscle; not annihilate it.

IMHO the best method is a more moderated effort of strength training combined with stretching, low-impact endurance training, and regular days off where the only physical exercise is walking.

#204421 - 07/08/10 03:38 PM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: Art_in_FL]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
It depends on what your friend is training for. If he's simply trying to build strength - as opposed to say, power or muscular endurance or for a specific sport - then yes, that's the way to go.

#204423 - 07/08/10 05:48 PM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: tomfaranda]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Not a bad cycle in a macro cycle of resistance training. Assuming the cycle is for power. May notice inflammation of joints as they adapt to new load strength. Painful but not unusual.

Remember your end result for your efforts and train towards that end. If your overall long term goal is to be leaner and faster, then this can help as part of a larger program by forcing hypertrophy for future training but not something to maintain long term, say 3-5 months at most before moving to a different style.

If you overall goal is a six pack for summer, then nutrition is 75% of this look and then work on the party muscles, chest, arms, shoulders the most. Throw a leg day in there to stay consistent.

For general health I would keep people away from this method of training as the risk of injury to the knees and back are greater than the short term benefits. But as stated above when part of a greater plan or for a specific event, (1 rep max for personal best, etc) go for it.

#204427 - 07/08/10 08:22 PM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: comms]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
It depends on what you want from your training. For a young buck training for football, the routine in the original post is standard and necessary.

On the other hand, at 36 years old, I have little interest in high intensity, short bursts. They only leave my back feeling tight and weaker actually.

I do believe in the concept of muscle confusion. I like to constantly tax my muscles, but that doesn't mean workouts that include short bursts. I like to switch up my weight lifting with different angles, different exercises, super sets, etc. I never intentionally max out anymore. I stopped maxing out at age 30 or so. I don't have time to waste workouts with max out sessions, and it's not that maxing out tends to cause me injuries because it doesn't. I don't intentionally do less than 8 reps of anything. I will unintentionally do, for example, 4 pull-ups when I'm fatigued.

My routine is not perfect, but it works for me. Generally, the important things for my progress have been the following: pushing hard without injuring myself, listening to my body and being consistent with my workout routines.

#204428 - 07/08/10 09:31 PM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: ireckon]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: ireckon

My routine is not perfect, but it works for me. Generally, the important things for my progress have been the following: pushing hard without injuring myself, listening to my body and being consistent with my workout routines.

I think you outline the central points of exercise for health: Do what works for you.

Don't hurt yourself. Exercise needn't be painful to work.

If the choice is between intensity and consistency; go for consistency.

If you feel bored and start to lack motivation, or you're getting into a rut, change your routine. There are probably a million different programs out there. Most of which work for some people. Most programs don't require any great investment in equipment.

#204494 - 07/10/10 12:43 PM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: Art_in_FL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California

#204732 - 07/15/10 01:09 AM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: dweste]
PhoenixRising Offline
Stranger

Loc: NW Minnesota
Im new and I was scanning this forum

Just started the P90x workout program, after being cajoled by members of who I work with...

for me, and what Ive seen of people I work with I admit I researched it and thats why I bought it.

$120 -$140 depending upon where you shop or pirate it. 20 to 30 min a day and no gym involved, all you need is simple things you probally already have around the house.

The hard part is the diet and eating; 4-5 small meals daily and NO junk food or alchol. (Empty carbs)

Hope this helps

#204863 - 07/18/10 12:13 AM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: PhoenixRising]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I just started working in "Grease The Groove" (GTG) to switch things up. Many people get good results with it. For a starting point on GTG, watch this video and read the description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VHz73p7Gfo

#204934 - 07/20/10 03:16 PM Re: Short, high-intensity weekly workout [Re: dweste]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
That does not work for me at all.
I need alternate days aerobic to get any results and "to failure" models just fail me entirely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.