Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#205094 - 07/24/10 10:01 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Doug_Ritter]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
Originally Posted By: T_Co
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter
I have been working with AMK on this and we have plans to offer an upgrade package that will contain all the items required to convert a PSP to a PSP+

Will this be including the new larger bag as well?

I think you mean the new pouch for the PSP+, and, yes, it will.

Correct, bag could be misconceived as for water, I meant pouch for contents, good eye Doug. cool

#205099 - 07/25/10 03:26 AM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: T_Co]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Ooh can't wait.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#205115 - 07/25/10 03:14 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Fox10 Offline

Leigh Ratcliffe,

John McCann here. I'm a little surprised that you lose all respect for someone based on a statement made by a reporter.

Ist of all, Both my wife and I carry a SAK Farmer everyday of our life, and the most used item is the saw. We both also carry a plain blade 1 Hand Trekker in a spec-ops pouch on the shoulder straps of our packs. Of course, we both carry fixed blade knives, but we don't have a problem with SAK's.

During a course where a reporter for the NY Times was both, attending and reporting, we had a discussion where he asked why I didn't carry one of those large McGuiver type SAK's and I indicated they had too much junk on them, "Like a phillips screwdriver... I've never had to unscrew a tree" The statement was cavalier, I agree, but was taken out of context when the article was written.

I wish people would take what reporters say with a grain of salt, but they normally take it as gospel. You will think what you want, but I do like SAK's and carry them (you certainly cant beat their saws.

John

www.bepreparedtosurvive.com

#205118 - 07/25/10 05:31 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Fox10]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Thanks for the clarification/correction, John! The internet can be bad about stuff like that. And written communication has that inherent weakness about it- context can be difficult to tease out. Often a joke or facetious statement is taken out of context and the misunderstanding takes on a life of it's own.

For the life of me I can't see what purpose those enormous SAKs satisfy. It's nice to have a good array of gadgets but at some point the thing is to large as to be difficult to use and so heavy that you may as well pack a full sized version of the tool! My favorite SAKs are the smallest ones. I find the scissors to fantastic, better than most small stand-alone units. The little tweezers has also saved the day a few times for me. I don't have a SAK that has a phillips head driver, but FWIW I think it would be very useful. Think of all the gear you might have on you that takes phillips head screws. Some battery compartments have phillips heads, and of course glasses are made with very small ones. If nothing else, a phillips head driver would be handing for starting a pilot hole on the fireboard for a bow/hand drill.

#205129 - 07/26/10 12:25 AM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Phaedrus]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Speaking of screwdrivers on knives. I EDC a Leatherman Wave. The only times I have ever used the very small Philips head screwdriver is for my eyeglasses. Fits perfectly!

#205146 - 07/26/10 08:20 AM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Fox10]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
John,
Thank you for putting the record straight. I guess that demonstrates the need to exercise extreme caution when talking to the press. frown

It's interesting that most serious players pick the Farmer and/or the OHT as prefered carry items. They are probably the best tools of their kind presently available.

Just out of curiosity, what are your view's about belt knives?

#205149 - 07/26/10 12:38 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I guess that demonstrates the need to exercise extreme caution when talking to the press.
Or when listening to the press!

As I read stories about SAR missions in my local area, I can't believe just how wrong the press gets things. Basic facts like where things are where roads and such go, etc. It's maddening. They're so freakin' clueless and don't care enough to get it right. Gotta meet that deadline.

HJ

#205152 - 07/26/10 01:15 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Hikin_Jim]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
I am not a fan of the larger SAKs for the same reason John gave.
I do find the little classic on the key-chain handy and usually have the aluminum sided standard model in a pocket.
(I wish it was locking instead of slip, but oh well)

I have owned several versions of the SAKs with multitudes of blades in them and the truth for me is they are too bulky to carry and too awkward to use easily.
I find it easier to just carry a simpler blade and have a small leatherman in my tool kit.

PS, I am not very impressed with the SAK saw blade either. They are too small for serious cutting and I have snapped a few. (YMMV)

#205162 - 07/26/10 05:01 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: chickenlittle]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I have a confession to make. I'm lusting after one of these:

http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.ph...CFQGZ2AodRk2Fbg

Now that's a tool grin

On a more serious note, considering the SAK as a survival tool, John's observations about K.I.S.S. are probably about right.

I, personally, E.D.C. a SwissChamp and a Farmer. If I'm dropped in the pot with just them and the lighter that I always carry, I'm quite certain that I can survive. Certainly short term.

#205164 - 07/26/10 07:34 PM Re: PSP+ this August [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
I have a confession to make. I'm lusting after one of these:

http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.ph...CFQGZ2AodRk2Fbg

Now that's a tool grin

On a more serious note, considering the SAK as a survival tool, John's observations about K.I.S.S. are probably about right.

I, personally, E.D.C. a SwissChamp and a Farmer. If I'm dropped in the pot with just them and the lighter that I always carry, I'm quite certain that I can survive. Certainly short term.

Does XLT stand for eXtra Ludicrous Tool?

HJ

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.