The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204468 - 07/09/10 09:20 PM Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Chicagoland IL

A Las Vegas Hospital is under heavy criticism and could be fined for a misguided terrorism training exercise. In the scenario, unaware and panicked nurses, doctors and other employees were herded into a break room by an armed intruder, leaving critically ill patients unattended. The hospital’s COO told state investigators that the three employees who cooked up the exercise failed to tell administrators or anyone in the intensive care unit. Two of the employees involved in planning the drill were suspended and the security director was terminated.

STORY LINK: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jul/03/drill-left-staff-fearing-lives/

You see someone being taken hostage. Should you:

A) Assume it is a real event.

B) Assume it is an exercise.

C) Assume you are seeing a movie being made.

D) Assume you are next.

If you don’t know what is happening, you will react as in A) and D) above. Unless it was a real hostage situation, no good can come from that. Exercises need to be planned, vetted, coordinated, and communicated.

#204469 - 07/09/10 09:30 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
Well, the employees did complain about previous drills being not realistic...

#204470 - 07/09/10 09:33 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
"Hostage taker" is lucky someone didn't lay a smackdown on him.

I've been in this type of event, both as a bad guy and as a good guy. Much more fun to be a baddy TBH. We were all on the same sheet of music, surrounding people were warned and/or recruited for roles. Even then, we had "umpires" in full uniform stationed around to tell people what went on.

Still there are failures. Most notably, a police officer shot two soldiers going through SF training, not knowing they were playacting, and they didn't know he wasn't playacting. A tragedy which caused several lawsuits and many rules and procedures being changed.

The best laid plans... and it's even worse when you plan and don't tell anyone.

#204471 - 07/09/10 09:39 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: JBMat]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Test exercises have great value. They can be a learning experience for all involved. Weaknesses and breakdowns are identified in advance. Obviously, this example demonstrates the failure of communication. If you surprise people, whether employees or the public, problems will occur. Exercises need to be documented and planned.

Also, anyone looking for a Director of Security position at a hospital in LV? The article links back to the job posting grin

http://www.recruitingnevada.com/jobposting.aspx?ID=25c590d8-bc8c-442a-8e19-def31e386728

Edited by capsu78 (07/09/10 09:41 PM)

#204473 - 07/09/10 11:01 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Of all the departments in the hospital, why did they hit Intensive Care, where the sickest people are?

If that chain is anything like the Providence one, they will rehire the person they fired, and give him a promotion and raise.

The local Providence chain hospital near me enacted a disaster drill that involved the hospital, fire department and law enforcement. The employees were warned but the neighborhood wasn't, and they started a fair panic. They now advertise in the newspaper ahead of time.

Dumb.

Sue

#204478 - 07/10/10 12:04 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Susan]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

I went back and completed the article, as I have some business interests in the HC market. I would suggest the reporter was a little bit under informed in choosing the words "terrorism drills", as the more probable likelihood would better fit under "workplace violence". That being said, the ICU is probably a "higher potential drama" department than say the cardiovascular outpatient area, where rival gang bangers get to be treated side by side, interspersed with other end of life scenarios.

What is interesting is the COO tossed the Security director under the bus almost as quickly as he would have tossed the Security Director under the bus if a law suit emerged that was built around an incident that illustrated a lack of drilling as the root cause of a poor incident outcome.

#204481 - 07/10/10 01:11 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: capsu78]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That was a Very Lucky Bad Guy & Hospital!What if there were people present ,of whom had the Right to Carry?

#204492 - 07/10/10 11:53 AM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Richlacal]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
That was a Very Lucky Bad Guy & Hospital!What if there were people present ,of whom had the Right to Carry?

Hopefully they would be smart enough to hold their fire. I can't imagine ICU patients would do well if gunfire started exploding outside their room. Just what you need - an entire unit that suddendly has a simultaneous heart attack.

#204493 - 07/10/10 12:07 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: MDinana]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: Richlacal

Hopefully they would be smart enough to hold their fire. I can't imagine ICU patients would do well if gunfire started exploding outside their room. Just what you need - an entire unit that suddendly has a simultaneous heart attack.

A scare would harm the pts less than being shot in their beds! If I was armed in that situations I'd readily assess that I was surrounded by the most vulnerable people imaginable. Would you not be spurred to immediate action? Assuming of course that you believed you were in genuine peril?

#204495 - 07/10/10 04:45 PM Re: Hospital could face fine over terrorism drill [Re: Phaedrus]
capsu78 Offline
Journeyman

Going back to the "accountability" aspect, it would be interesting to hear the Security Directors version of the story.
The HC industry is pretty specific in its requirements for preventing workplace violence:

http://www.jointcommission.org/SentinelEvents/SentinelEventAlert/sea_45.htm

My guess is 30% compliance from about 80% of the HC facilities would be the norm!

I wonder if the SD was trying to do a DIY incident preparedness drill since the same administrator who dumped him didn't give him any budget to hire some professional training and advice on how to properly run a critical incident exercise.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.