Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204329 - 07/05/10 09:33 PM Re: anyone recommend a knife with a wire cutter? [Re: jzmtl]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I have cut a good bit of wire with my Leatherman Wave.

On the electrical side it seems to handle everything up to #8 copper and aluminum easily enough without damage.

Standard #16 soft iron and galvanized iron tie wire is easily handled even when doubled.

Standard steel and aluminum chain-link fencing is about as large as it goes comfortably for the several cuts that can be necessary. It isn't suitable for every-day or production work, extended use would spring the jaws, but I've cut my way through a couple of fences and it is still kicking.

Thinner but tougher high-tension barbed wire has to be handled using the shearing notch in the cutter nearest the pivot and such cutting take a touch longer so it isn't suitable for production work but for incidental and occasional use it handles it well enough. I've cut two or three double strand fences since getting them and no issues.

The one common 'wire' I have yet to try the Leatherman on is razor wire. Typically this is hardened stainless steel tape that defies, or at least resists, most cutters. The trick is to fold it and work it back and forth letting metal fatigue work for you. A piece of heavy cloth, heavy leather gloves if you have them, are pretty important. Pliers are as often good as most wire cutters that haven't been designed for the job. Normal aviation shears work but unless they are high end units that are very hard with good steel they dull quickly.

For the sort of incidental use a hiker might need the Leatherman Wave seems to work well enough.

#204334 - 07/06/10 07:09 AM Re: anyone recommend a knife with a wire cutter? [Re: roberttheiii]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Actually it's the leverage of the multi-tools that restricts their wire cutting. I was thinking a bayonet would overcome that with the greater length. Are they any good as knives?
The Sock

#204335 - 07/06/10 11:14 AM Re: anyone recommend a knife with a wire cutter? [Re: TheSock]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
I don't always carry the M9 when camping so I haven't tested it as much as I should. The wire cutter has served its purpose. Most of the time I have a dedicated wire cutter & use that it's nore manuverable.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.