Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#207705 - 09/10/10 08:31 PM Re: Black Bear attack victim shares his survival story [Re: TAB]
GoatMan Offline

Originally Posted By: TAB
understand this, there is no bad animal, only humans acting stupidly.

Please don't take this personally, but this line of thinking is just plain stupid. There are crazy animals just like there are crazy people.

In the context of bears, looking at populations as a whole, bear encounters are rare. Most people have never seen one in the wild and never will. For those of us who get out and enjoy the fresh air, the chances go up. I've encountered several in the wild and never had a problem with them. But with 6 billion people on the planet, there are a fair number of folks missing some marbles. There are some animals out there, including bears, missing some marbles as well.

Some animals are more aggressive than others, even without the human factor. Granted, animals can be conditioned based on their environment. But that doesn't mean there aren't some bad apples out there that can't cause problems on their first human encounter. People do need a better understanding, but people also take the quickest answer and treate it like doctrine.

I've posted this before, but I still think it makes for an interesting read:

http://fwp.mt.gov/mtoutdoors/downloads/BearAttack.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news10-05.htm

Keep hiking...

#207720 - 09/10/10 10:47 PM Re: Black Bear attack victim shares his survival story [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Just insert "mostly" in the appropriate places and there's (mostly) no disagreement. wink

Having worked closely with all sorts of animals, I can tell you for a fact that a few are "on the prod" by nature. In a controlled environment, you can temper that. But in the wild, you react in the manner that 99% will respond to. For the other 1%, you invoke Plan Z, because they leave you no other option.

Mostly, that works.

#208151 - 09/16/10 07:02 PM Re: Black Bear attack victim shares his survival story [Re: Teslinhiker]
duckear Offline
Addict

Looking any bear in the eye works very well.....as long as the looking is done through the scope of a high powered rifle. wink

There was an erie video a few years ago about a blackie stalking a guy for miles. He filmed it all and it was a miracle it never attacked.

I have killed one black bear. Amazing animals and when skinning him, the claws and muscles were awe inspiring. Not something I would want to go up against with pepper, bells or a sharp stick!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.