Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204119 - 06/30/10 06:37 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: haertig]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
I'm with haertig.

Being threatened with a rifle by a random guy in the woods means that your life is in danger and there's not much chance of a good outcome. So fight like your life depends on it. Because it does.

Edited by unimogbert (06/30/10 06:37 PM)

#204125 - 06/30/10 09:54 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: unimogbert]
Leo Offline
Stranger

I live on the Peak to Peak. In summer it is not uncommon for homeless men to come up from the cities. As we know, many homeless are mentaly ill. Usualy they just break into un occupied cabins. They found one guy living in a cave full of stolen tools. They don't stay long. Too cold up here and no free meals like they get in Boulder.
Leo

#204163 - 07/01/10 07:54 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Leo]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
As soon as one shot is fired all bets are off. It will be him or me. And as for leaving a lady behind, no way.

#204179 - 07/02/10 02:27 AM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: stevenpd]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I'm with haertig, too. And I wouldn't wait for a shot to be fired, either. That first shot could be into someone's head, and considering my somewhat abrasive personality, it might be mine.

As soon as someone threatens me or mine with a weapon, the Marquess of Queensberry Rules are off, and I'm going after them with everything I've got or can grab. You have to be really, really good to play the game with a different set of rules than your attacker. Kind of stupid, too.

My plan, such as it is, is to appear quiet and timid, seem to acquiesce to initial commands, and the minute they are distracted, to attack them. I'm perfectly fine with kicking knees (stomp-kick, not ballet-pointy-toe kick), kicking ribs hard enough to do some damage once they're down, stomping on a throat, and doing some serious injury to Junior and the Twins. Then I would get really serious and bash their head in.

Like the cops in L.A. used to tell my friend who worked with them: "Make sure there's only one story to tell."

And the NEXT person I would go after would be the SO-CALLED 'man' who ran off 'to get help'. But I would probably attempt to be a little more... ah... circumspect about that.

Sue

#204193 - 07/02/10 10:49 AM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Susan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine with kicking knees (stomp-kick, not ballet-pointy-toe kick), kicking ribs hard enough to do some damage once they're down, stomping on a throat, and doing some serious injury to Junior and the Twins. Then I would get really serious and bash their head in.

That sounds like the fight scene in the kitchen at the Guest House Paradiso wink

#204202 - 07/02/10 01:04 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
I'm perfectly fine with kicking knees (stomp-kick, not ballet-pointy-toe kick), kicking ribs hard enough to do some damage once they're down, stomping on a throat, and doing some serious injury to Junior and the Twins. Then I would get really serious and bash their head in.

That sounds like the fight scene in the kitchen at the Guest House Paradiso wink

+1 on Susan's brand of aggression against an attacker.

Cracking knees is not for the squeamish though, if you're making a plan to disable an attacker I suggest some practice, and make sure you will carry it out if the time comes: I have seen a self-defense school simulate an effective knee kick with a wood 'leg-knee' stuffed inside a pair of pants, they stand up the dummy and they take turns kicking the knee out. Think too about disarming your assailant - following the knee kick you still have to take away their weapon, don't rely on them dropping it or being so distracted that they wouldn't still shoot you.

So make a plan, visualize it all the way through disarming your attacker, and consider running through the scenario and your response (sudden / surprise aggression) in an evening at least at a self-defense class, which should be in your area somewhere.

#204210 - 07/02/10 03:59 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Lono]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

My plan is more like "distract with your left hand, draw your own firearm with your right hand". Knee/family_jewel kicking and head smashing with rocks might be a good fallback though.

#204256 - 07/03/10 11:00 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: haertig]
Susan Offline
Geezer

On the knee damage... I was shocked at how little actual force was required to hurt me when my 50lb dog made a running U-turn near me and bumped the outside of my knee with her hindquarters.

She literally immobilized me without really trying, she was just playing with another dog. I remained standing, in pain, and shifted my weight to my other leg. I couldn't take a single step. Nothing to lean on. I stood there for a long time (maybe three minutes), thinking it would improve. Then the neighbor came out her back door, and I yelled for her to go into my house and get my mother's walker. And that's how I slowly got into the house. The pain eased after an hour or so, but I felt it with every step for over a week.

That incident made me realize how easy it would be to incapacitate someone that way. Guys can protect the family jewels and maybe even grab your foot if they're quick, but they can't do much to protect their knees.

Sue

#204257 - 07/03/10 11:12 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

"That sounds like the fight scene in the kitchen at the Guest House Paradiso."

Hmmm.... I should watch it and maybe get some tips!

Oh, Netflix doesn't have it. Rats!

Sue

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.