The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#203782 - 06/22/10 03:23 AM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: comms]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Here is another inexpensive solution: the musette bag. They have been used by our military since at least the 1930's that I know of. They can be found at military shows or flea markets. They range from brown, to tan, to olive. Some have a shoulder strap, and some just have straps with snap clips and you have to find a strap for it. You can see the strap and the snap clips in the picture. Personally, I think women stole the idea of purses from soldiers with musette bags.

Attachments
musette bag.jpg

#203785 - 06/22/10 04:11 AM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: adam2]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
I would agree that any such bag should be small enough to make it clear that you are not carrying a laptop, since such attract thieves.

I try to avoid carrying around my laptop, but when I have to, I use a cheap shopping bag, never a proper laptop bag for that reason.

My situation is funny because I DON'T carry a laptop but I like to use laptop bags for work ( I like their design ). That results in double stress : fear from theives , and frustration of my colleagues false envy. Some of them think the boss has granted me a laptop !!!

Just in case anyone is interested, here is may favourite design for work bag. It opens completely and EVERYTHING is accessible. Papers, pens ..everything is in front of you. There is a lowere zippered pocket at the bottom for papers that you don't need all the time. I use that for contact numbers, reference sheets ..etc.

There is another zippered pocket in the bag's cover ( cannot be seen in the pic becasuee of open cover ) . This pocket I use for some prep items like flashlight and small folding knife ..etc. )

Mine looks like this one, has no laptopb, although most everyone assumes there is one inside !!!

#203790 - 06/22/10 11:38 AM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Chisel]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

I live in Washington, D.C., walk all the time and don't feel any more at risk carrying a briefcase, messenger bag or large tote than I do carrying a purse.

I've been attacked by a purse-snatcher (he was unsuccessful).

Women carrying anything are more at risk than a man carrying a laptop-friendly briefcase or messenger bag.

#203795 - 06/22/10 03:36 PM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Dagny]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

There is always room for new inventions in this field. For example, there is a toy flashlight that when you hold and press a button ( for the light to go on ) ... some high voltage shakes you and makes you see stars in broad daylight LOL.

I wish the same principle can be adapted to purses. That ought to make someone thinks twice before trying. hahahaha

#203796 - 06/22/10 03:41 PM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Regarding leather bags. One of my small travel bags is made of leather. They are great and all, but I don't like their closures. I prefer zippers or velcro.

Same for shoes and boots. I don't like laces ( except as additional survival items ). I prefer velcro or none at all.

May have to do with being an impatient person and always in a hurry.

#203797 - 06/22/10 05:03 PM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Chisel]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You can get ordinary shoes with Velcro closures??? shocked The only footware I have that have partial Velcro closures are road and mountain bike cycling shoes only because of the safety factor of laces coming undone and ending up in the front chainwheel.

I've just checked for some UK websites and Velcro closure shoes are available also. I didn't know they were available.

I guess Velcro wasn't around when I was child in the 1970s as we had to contend with laced boots such as the original monkey boot. I'm amazed that they are still available even today. Oh the nostalgia. grin

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/22/10 05:14 PM)

#203803 - 06/22/10 07:29 PM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Civilian style backpack (Jansport, Mountain Smith, etc), messenger bag (med/small), soft sided briefcase (portfolio or flap closure type), tote bag with zippered top. These are the things that everybody carries downtown and won't stick out. Look for metal hardware or shoulder strap permanently attached to bag to make snatch and run attacks harder.

Carried in the bag:
*Water
*Snack - Granola, whatever.
*Jacket - Windbreaker, rain, etc. Depends on where you are.
*Sun/rain protection - Depends on where you are.
*Roll of quarters and $1 bills for vending machines and phones.
*Extra cash
*Cell phone + charger
*Street map and small compass
*Public transit map
*Small LED flashlight
*Pocket knife/multi-tool
*Lighter - Depends upon where you are
*Pocket first aid kit with moleskin
*Purell/sanitizer
*Whistle
*Self defense - Something to keep a dog or attacker from closing on you. Depends upon where you are

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#203805 - 06/22/10 08:26 PM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Mark_R]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like to carry a small monocular as well when in an urban jungle environment although there isn't much of that type of environment around here. I've been quite impressed with the el cheapo Nikula 7x18 monocular for $10.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3899

It has excellent optical performance for what it costs and is very compact and lightweight. Used it to view dolphins the other day whilst fishing here;

*Snipped by Blast*
People, please keep your pictures (even awesomely beautiful ones like the now-snipped one of this post) to reasonable dimensions!

Edited by Blast (06/30/10 08:21 PM)

#203810 - 06/23/10 12:51 AM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
I guess Velcro wasn't around when I was child in the 1970s

I bought my first velcro equipped item in 1962 - a very nice down bag which employed velcro, rather than a zipper. I enjoyed the startled reactions to the unfamiliar sound when I ripped open the bag.

Oddly enough, the velcro was backed up by snaps at about six inch intervals - in retrospect, an unnecessary precaution.

#203820 - 06/23/10 04:35 AM Re: Man Bag for the Urban Jungle [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

I like to carry a small monocular as well...

+1

I EDC a monocular. A Brunton from REI. Great addition. You just never know...

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.