Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#204053 - 06/28/10 09:18 PM Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
This is a bizarre story...

Authorities continue to search for a man they say kidnapped a 44-year-old Ber-thoud man and a 32-year-old Fort Collins woman.

The couple say they were hiking Saturday when a masked man threatened them and then tied them to trees.

SWAT teams from the Boulder County Sherriff's Office and the Longmont Police Department are continuing the search for an armed suspect they say kidnapped the two while they were hiking west of the Peak to Peak Highway.

The complete news article is here and there is more info in the 3 minute video segment in the top right corner of the page.

John Lubbock

#204059 - 06/28/10 10:56 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Teslinhiker]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yeah, bizarre is right.

#204060 - 06/28/10 11:00 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Teslinhiker]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Hard to say what is going on.

Camouflaged Rambo wanna-be outlaw fondling a gun in the woods stumbles into a couple of hikers and fires a shot to impress them. Feeling embarrassed, perhaps running from the law, he figures he will tie them up to give himself time to get away. He flees. They get away. Authorities show up. Could be.

Or maybe a bored couple come up with a story about a armed man who ties them up hoping to gain some notoriety and press.

Not enough information to say for sure what happened.

Good news is that no matter what happened nobody seemed to get seriously hurt.

#204062 - 06/29/10 12:53 AM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Art_in_FL]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"Authorities say the man freed himself, ran to a populated area and telephoned authorities. Officials say the assailant released the woman, who was found at the car the couple left beside a road."

The assailant threatened them, fired a shot, then lets the guy run off to get the law, and he turns the woman loose.

I think there's more to this story... and 'story' it may well be.

Sue

#204064 - 06/29/10 03:03 AM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Susan]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Looks like the police have arrested a suspect.

Boulder County Sheriff's deputies arrested a 42-year-old transient this afternoon on suspicion he abducted two local hikers at gunpoint near Nederland last weekend.

Joseph Scott Carter had been camping in the forest for a couple of weeks, the Sheriff's Department said in a statement.

He was found near the Peak to Peak Highway this afternoon and matched the description given by the man and woman he allegedly accosted at rifle point.

John Lubbock

#204080 - 06/29/10 05:17 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Teslinhiker]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Allowing a guy with a rifle to tie me up to a tree is not the way it would have gone down were I one of the hikers. It's got to be more than awkward for a person to manage a rifle in one hand and tie you to a tree with the other. Especially if there is one of him and two of you. It sounds like the hikers weren't prepared to take advantage of that vulnerable time for their attacker. I would have.

#204089 - 06/29/10 11:45 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: ]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
This is the kind of things that have been going on in the Ocala National Forest here in Florida for about 15 years now. Transients and meth cookers take up residence in the forest and often harass hikers who are going along the Florida Trail.

I don't know if I would use the term "often" given the great numbers of people who go into the ONF in relation to the much smaller numbers of reported encounters over a long period of time. Yes, there have been a few egregious cases of assaults and murder, at least two made the national news, but over a similar amount of time many otherwise considered peaceful small town have seen worse.

The fact is that thousands of hikers and campers go into the ONF and other state forests unarmed and they experience nothing but peaceful relations with the people they meet.

I would also be leery about trying out your kung-fu on a person holding a gun. As it was everyone made it out relatively unharmed. Toss in a few sudden moves and perceived threat by the person with the gun and the balance between not desiring to kill people, he obviously had some qualms about killing people because he clearly could have slaughtered them without difficulty, and the advantages of not leaving witnesses behind may have gone the wrong way.

The option of violent resistance would have shifted if the man clearly stated or implied an intention to kill them. The statistics say that an attacker that attempts to get you into a vehicle will kill you. Once you get in a car the odds of survival approach zero. In that case violent resistance and/or fleeing is pretty much the only option.

As it was, considering the outcome where nobody got seriously injured, avoidance of violent resistance was the right choice.

#204114 - 06/30/10 06:24 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: Art_in_FL]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
As it was, considering the outcome where nobody got seriously injured, avoidance of violent resistance was the right choice.

No, the eventual outcome does not validate the hikers response. They might have survived DESPITE doing nothing, not BECAUSE of it. Nobody will ever know the answer to that one.

Me, I would interpret trying to tie me up to a tree while holding a rifle on me to be a true life threatening situation, deserving of the most violent of defenses if needed. This includes terminating the aggressors life if required. Others can certainly disagree with me, that's fine, and the discussion is welcomed. Some believe that passivity is the solution to force, others believe force should be met with equal or greater force. People have lived, and died, utilizing both responses. Conclusions drawn from anecdotes and single case examples of what may have worked in one specific situation are meaningless and dangerous.

#204117 - 06/30/10 06:35 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: haertig]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Me, I would interpret trying to tie me up to a tree while holding a rifle on me to be a true life threatening situation, deserving of the most violent of defenses if needed.

I concur especially if the assailant started to mentioning the words 'squeal like a pig' as he was attempting to tie me up to a tree. eek

#204118 - 06/30/10 06:36 PM Re: Hikers say they were kidnapped, tied to trees [Re: haertig]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

If it were me out hiking with my wife (this kidnapping/hostage thing went down about 10 miles from my house), there is no way I would "escape" and run off leaving my wife in the hands of this madman. Mr. Madman, once he noticed I was gone, should be very worried about his life expectancy. I'm not a Rambo type of person, but I sure wouldn't abandon my wife in the woods and just hope for the best by running away and making a phone call. It boggles my mind that someone would actually do that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.