Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203873 - 06/24/10 06:28 AM MAKE DO !!!
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Some forum members are from different countries,. Not everyone can order something from Countycomm for example. So, Some have to just make do with whatever avilable in their local markets.

Among the items that have speciual place in every prepper heart is the 550 PARACORD. Well, maybe I haven't looked hard enough but it is not avilable around our markets. And I had to buy nylon cord or whatever instead. Then , with the nylon cord in my hand, I started thinking about the famous "7 strands" of paracord. How many preppers have really really took the time to pull those out and use them for snares or whatever ???

So, I decided not to give it any further thought. It is even better for survival to MAKE DO with what you already have in the market. So, if I can't find a real Ka-Bar I will make do with a small but sturdy kitchen knife. And I forgot about paracord because I already filled my kits with nylon ropes and fishing lines.

#203874 - 06/24/10 06:31 AM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Do you have a story of MAKE DO ???!!!

OK , here is one of my stories.

Sometimes I see ordering a very specific container for EDC spare batteries as extravagant. So, I just looked in the trash of my kids and found several plastic containers that can hold EDC batteries.

There was a make up container, and something like a "plastic altoids" .. and all of them serve the purpose very well.

(EDIT)

I looked in their trash because I know kids are more towards consumerism than ther parents.
They THROW A LOT of stuff that can be otherwise useful.

I let them know my philosophy.

Edited by Chisel (06/24/10 06:47 AM)

#203875 - 06/24/10 06:39 AM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I think I have already mentioned the "survival necklace" I made, and then made more copies to include in every kit I have. Take a ID badge lanyard, remove the ID plastic sleeve ( save it for a fresnel lens or alchol wipes ..etc.)

On the lanyard, start hanging your favourite type of whistle, folding knife, tiny flashlight ..etc.

In case of emergency, the first thing to do is take the necklace out of the nearest kit and hang around neck. Tools go under shirt or inside chest pocket. They will be your last ditch tools (on your person no matter what).

Some on-line companies sell ready made survival necklaces but restrictions on either side make it a better option just to be McGyverish and MAKE DO !!!

#203876 - 06/24/10 07:07 AM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: Chisel]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
There are companies that does ship the aforementioned products internationally. I've used these two and both are very good.

Some county comm gear: http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop.html

8 strand paracord: http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page...4f6a7f6c4f73333

#203878 - 06/24/10 09:15 AM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: jzmtl]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I'm a big fan of make do, and even the longer version use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without

But do yourself a favour and treat yourself to some high quality duct tape or gorilla tape. There are too many low quality "duct" tape lookalikes and I have no intention of trying every one of them, so I stick with gorilla tape. But it can be hard to find or ridiculous expensive outside the U.S. Having good duct/gorilla tape makes the rest of your make do-exercises much more fun... wink

My favourite make-do item is PET soda bottles. They are very strong, and you cut them to shape with a knife. PET cutouts now protect my lighters from leaking, my sunglases from breaking and the burner head on my parafin stove from breaking.

Paracord? I'm a big fan, it is a joy to work with. But most synthetic cords do an excellent job. And 2mm braided nylon line packs MUCH smaller in my PSK than paracord. 2mm is strong enough for most emergency shelter building and most field repairs I can think of.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (06/24/10 09:16 AM)

#203889 - 06/24/10 02:35 PM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I am so used to making-do that it's reached a point where even when I buy something, it usually isn't for its intended purpose!

(I drive my local hardware store crazy.)

Sue

#203890 - 06/24/10 03:17 PM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: Susan]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I was into 550 cord when I was maybe 10 or 12 - not bad stuff. That said, I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable working with twisted Nylon 3 strand - so that is what I usually carry. But I like the idea of this thread because the truth of the matter is if you can't improvise your life is a lot harder than it has to be.

#203893 - 06/24/10 03:53 PM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: roberttheiii]
Still_Alive Offline
Finally, I am a

Loc: Utah
I love the advice of DR--in an emergency/survival situation, NEVER throw anything away. I go camping with the Boy Scouts often, and it takes some doing to convince them of the wisdom of this.

Case in point--we had all gone camping and taken canned soup, stew, etc for dinner. After dinner, some had hot chocolate mix packets and wanted hot chocolate, but they hadn't brought a pot to heat water in. I showed them that the cans in the "trash" could easily be cleaned out and then set directly on the fire to heat water. They thought I was a genius for showing them how to do this; I worried about the fact that something so seemingly obvious wasn't--at least not to them.

#203917 - 06/25/10 02:13 AM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I have fished with the seperated strands from Paracord,& Have caught my Dinner,Many times!If your Country has a Military,then that is your Best Source.Ask a Soldier,I'll bet they'd be more than Happy to Hook you up with some Paracord,or at least point you in the right direction as,to obtaining some!The ONLY time there is a Substitute for Paracord is,When you are actually in a Survival situation without it!County-Comm has some interesting items but...Fleabay is SO much more accessable to The World & A whole World cheaper as well!Dont give up the search,Afterall,A computer got you here,Did it Not?

#203919 - 06/25/10 02:18 AM Re: MAKE DO !!! [Re: Richlacal]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
just go to IMSPlus.com for real Paracord, its $7 for 100 ft.

no affiliation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.