Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203870 - 06/24/10 05:24 AM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: Jeff_M]
Leo Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
I don't have any special knowledge on this case but in my experience with similar cases it sometimes turns out that the lost party was not actualy wondering in the woods for X number of days but was somewhere safe and warm.
One young lady was found clean and wearing clean clothes and fresh make-up, within sight of a housing sub-division, after a 4 day search. She was referred to mental health. No one envolved in the SAR or the medical evaluation believed she had actualy spent even a single night outside.
Just sayin.
leo

#203871 - 06/24/10 06:18 AM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: Leo]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I don't know what happened off course, but man ... a person can have a really terrible time sometimes, and really needs a few days alone ... really alone !!! ' cause life is sometimes so hard and people around you can make it even harder !!!

I am glad she is a live and hope she learned something from the experience. Also hope her husband can give her a bit more of what she needs (love/care/attention/time alone ! whatever).

#203897 - 06/24/10 04:15 PM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: Chisel]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
There is a phenomenon called, in the ER, the 'dude factor'; the less socially valuable the patient is, the greater the likelihood that he will survive an injury. For example: a drunk, stoned and tripping college drop-out survives a three-story fall, while a brain surgeon slips in the shower and dies. Happens a lot.

#203900 - 06/24/10 07:09 PM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: nursemike]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I've always considered the "tooth to tattoo ratio" to be a good predictor of survival.

#203903 - 06/24/10 08:54 PM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: nursemike]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: nursemike
There is a phenomenon called, in the ER, the 'dude factor'; the less socially valuable the patient is, the greater the likelihood that he will survive an injury. For example: a drunk, stoned and tripping college drop-out survives a three-story fall, while a brain surgeon slips in the shower and dies. Happens a lot.

Funny, I've noticed that a lot, too.

#203914 - 06/25/10 01:38 AM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: Phaedrus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
It seems to me that smoka-da-ganja had essentially nothing to do with this situation. It was far, far more serious than that.

From Wikipedia regarding a systemic form of lupus:
"Other common neuropsychiatric manifestation of SLE include cognitive dysfunction, mood disorder, cerebrovascular disease,[20] seizures, polyneuropathy,[20] anxiety disorder, and psychosis."

That's just a tiny bit of the massive effects of this syndrome. Don't know about you, but after I read the whole news article and the Wikipedia piece, I was highly inclined to get down on my knees and thank my lucky stars.

#203921 - 06/25/10 03:43 AM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: dougwalkabout]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Lupus is so named,after the Genus:Lupus,or Wolf,because of the ability of Defective cells to attack the Nervous system!Most folks with Lupus are prescribed Phenobarbitol,of which in strength, makes Marijuana seem like a School field trip!I have 4 different friends,of whom have Lupus in their lives,at various stages.2 of them are Very Cognitive of Life around them,at ALL times,& are in Constant Pain even with the Heavy-Duty Rx!All of them have Pot Cards,It helps them with Eating,& Digestion.These are Real Good Folks,& are All US Veterans!They continue to work Regular Jobs & Pay Taxes,Like anyone else!

#203926 - 06/25/10 11:38 AM Re: Stranded Woman Survives 11 Days in Rockies [Re: dougwalkabout]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Amen. There are a ton of anti-survival factors out there that never give you a chance to deploy your DRPSK. Include, if you will, the process of aging, or, as I like to perceive it, the swirling acceleration I experience as I circle the bowl of senility. Diminished physical ability can be accomodated, but the thought that age will gradually erode the library of survival information stored in my brain would be terrifying...if I could recall that it was eventually going to happen...or has already...is this the aarp listserv?....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.