The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203670 - 06/20/10 12:01 PM Surviving a Beach House
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Back from vacation, spent a week on Long Beach Island. The water was warm, the jellyfish abundant, and the beach largely gone from erosion - but it was all good.

As usual, I tend to think of these vacations as mini-drills (in my mind only, I don't subject the family to my Walter Mitty mind) and once again, I find that in a real evacuation situation, for each kid you have add a zero to the degree of difficulty. Suffice it to say we packed until the minivan was approaching neutron star density, and we STILL ended up driving off-island to a Target store to buy a boatload of supplies that were left behind accidentally.

But all in all it was loads of fun and we had a great time.

#203695 - 06/20/10 07:15 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: MartinFocazio]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Dog: some food, water, bowls, brush, collar, leash, Goodwill comforter (bed), dose of Advantage before leaving. Picking bugs out of her teeth upon arrival. Easy, simple, cheap.

I'm glad you had a good time... Walter.

Sue

#203715 - 06/21/10 01:23 AM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: Susan]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I use those kind of vacations as drills too. if some of the things I have to buy during our stay are small and inexpensive enough I'll buy an extra and store in the truck if I can find a place to put it. I learned one trip that things cost more, the only place near where we were staying was a walmart and despite their always advertising low prices baby formula cost twice the normal price that we pay at any other store.

#203744 - 06/21/10 02:17 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: MartinFocazio]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yep, I look at family vacations/car trips as mock bugout drills, too...

I'm bugging in!!
-Blast grin crazy crazy
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203745 - 06/21/10 02:30 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: MartinFocazio]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Couple of weeks ago, 4 of us (3 adults, one child, age 8) went on a weekend 1500 mile round trip up north. I have made many of these trips to the same place however I still keep a checklist.

We didn't forget or run out of anything...but used more water (15 Lt total) then I thoght we would. The bonus items carried (as always) were baby wipes (no babies with us) and disinfecting wipes for those roadside rest areas with questionable sanitary practices in the washrooms.

John Lubbock

#203771 - 06/21/10 09:06 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: MartinFocazio]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I recommend Burning Man as a dry run. :->

There are no stores for forgotten supplies, you have only what you bring with you. Run out of water? Oops. Want something to sleep in? Bring it. Want food? Bring it. They do provide portapotties and a central shade/"cafe" where you can buy coffee and tea, and you can buy ice. That's it.

http://www.burningman.com/

It's the perfect bug-out/shelter-in-place test.

#203954 - 06/26/10 11:26 AM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: philip]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Were going on a week vacation starting Monday. Have a room booked for Tuesday-Thursday and were stopping and spending the night somewhere in between Monday and Friday nights. This will help simulate a house burned down/flooded/etc scenario where we are forced to leave and have to find a place with no pre-planning. Have my handheld Garmin with their POI database where you can search for places nearby, my droid with its internet connection and localized google searching, paper maps, etc.

#203964 - 06/26/10 07:34 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: Eugene]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I may have to bug out for 3-4 days if the England football team make it to the World Cup Final and evacuate from the tsunami of extremely ill informed irritating football commentary. The situation is already now getting desperate, you will find me somewhere in this photograph cut of from the rest of the world with no communications to the outside world as I watch the 1967 England(66 World Champions) Scotland game on a portable DVD player out there somewhere in the wilderness. wink Lord help us if they win, I couldn't take another 40-50 years as there is absolutely no chance of a 67 repeat. cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtC1pByt-os

#203967 - 06/26/10 08:28 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I try to avoid the football/basketball/baseball/etc sports stuff anyway.
Were going to be in Hershey PA Tuesday, going to go into Hershey Chocolate World, Hershey park looks geared toward older kids than mine so we'll skip it. We'll be staying around Lancaster PA. In the Amish area of Ohio there is a store called Lahman's where they have a lot of things like oil lamps and hand tools, I'm wondering if there is any near the Lancaster PA area.

#203977 - 06/27/10 02:32 AM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hoot Mon! Be that Nessie,down in the loch? After the USA v Ghana match,The end result is just a bad case of Ghanaria,:( !

#204014 - 06/28/10 06:43 AM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: philip]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Practice Bugging-Out at Burning Man,LOL?Lets see here,1.$300.00 admission fee,2.$300.00 admission fee to a DRY,100+degrees(Alkyline)Lake bed,of which you CANNOT Camp anywhere you want,No worries though,It's not like someone got lucky & found some trees,or plants,or Anything to shade them,Nothing but the exception of Crystals grow there!You have to bring your own shade!There are a Myriad of Rules,one must follow as, 40,000 others are also bugging-out,So No Firearms of any type are allowed.If you happen to be a "Priviledged" member of that Hiarchy,you will be directed to camp Upwind of the 50 Porta-Potties,of which are emptied every other day,Oh the Sweet aroma of Blue Stew,LOL,amongst the artists,movie stars,etc.Sleep,oh wait a minute,I didn't finish with the wind part,It gets to be 60 mph as a norm out there,& did I mention this isn't your everyday normal sand,It's alkyline,It's SPECIAL!Sleep... Well,if you aren't Enebriated of some sort or another for the Duration,you can cancel that out,you will have to supply your own sleep as well,otherwise,"You aint' gettin'any!"LOL!Thats ok though,most have to drive a mere 500+ miles back home,after Bugging-out to Burning Man,LOL!

#204042 - 06/28/10 05:40 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: Richlacal]
philip Offline
Addict

> 1.$300.00 admission fee,

shrug - it's free for me.

> 2.$300.00 admission fee to a DRY,100+degrees

It hasn't hit a hundred in a long time. Our first trip it hit 107 on our first day, so it can hit the hundreds.

> You have to bring your own shade!

Yes! You have to bring your own shade! Isn't that exciting! :->

> So No Firearms of any type are allowed.

shrug - not sure why I'd _need_ firearms, but yes, we have no firearms.

> 50 Porta-Potties,of which are emptied every other day

No, there are more than 50, and they're emptied twice a day, maybe more often. I don't keep track.

I have to admit I got lost in your LOL and ! so I gave up. When you've been there, let me know. LOL!

#204065 - 06/29/10 05:15 AM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: philip]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

>Phillip,You recommended Burning Man for a Dry Run in your 1st post.All that I wrote of were some of the Many Obstacles,One will encounter,Should they attempt that Dry run.I speak Only for myself,but should I Bug-Out,I will be Equipped to Survive!LOL!

#204079 - 06/29/10 04:58 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: Richlacal]
philip Offline
Addict

> .All that I wrote of were some of the Many Obstacles,One will encounter,Should
> they attempt that Dry run.

LOL! Of course! And you've been there, right?! There _should_ be obstacles in a dry run! LOL! Bug outs in real life will have obstacles! :->

Bye, hon. Have fun!

#207088 - 09/01/10 01:44 PM Re: Surviving a Beach House [Re: philip]
sotto Offline
Addict

I prepared for my personal survival by not having kids. I buckled and got a wife early on, though. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.