Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#203692 - 06/20/10 06:44 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Doug_Ritter]
rsilvers Offline
Stranger

The 7 stores which have not settled need the legal reasons why the knives do not meet the NY definition.

I may be incorrect, but I bet most people (even CNN readers) reading the news think NY is nuts. These kinds of bans are outdated. That stuff was tried from the 1920s until the 1980s and are known to be failures. I know lawmakers make laws and the more laws they make, the larger their resume, but what is shocking (even for NY) is to enforce this law for assisted opening knives.

But they did not take action against Home Depot for liner locking knives. Does that mean they just lost the right to enforce that against individuals?

#203699 - 06/20/10 07:50 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Tarzan]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Tarzan
Surely some of the features or operating principles of these knives and their subtle differences must not escape those that seek to outlaw them.

I doubt it.

#203707 - 06/21/10 12:13 AM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: LED]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
no, you can see in the DA's undercover video of some of the knives they were complaining about - they would 1/2 open a liner lock, and then flick it open the reast of the way, and the DA was calling it a gravity knife

I think these days the ONLY safe thing to carry in NYC is a small slipblade, or a sub 4" fixed blade believe it or not
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#203839 - 06/23/10 06:23 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Tarzan]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Tarzan

How do they justify some of the illogical and inconsistent arguments they propose?
[...]
That is something I have never been able to fathom.
If a knife opens in a tenth of a second that is hardly much different than just whipping out a fixed blade. Why all the hoopla about such things when it would be much easier say, to just pass a law saying that within a certain jurisdiction, all single edged knife blades of greater than 4" are banned for concealed carry.

I've heard that many of these types of laws were specifically to target "weapons" commonly employed by gangs.

As a result, you get lots of laws outlawing random things like "brass knuckles" and "switchblades".

I think the "logic" they are employing commonly looks like this:

To the public: "gangs use <x>, so if we outlaw <x>, we'll reduce gang violence."
To the police: "gangs use <x>, so if we outlaw <x>, we give you a tool to arrest/disarm gang members."

I feel this logic is flawed in a number of ways.

One, people intent on doing harm will. Laws to not deter the unlawful. By definition, the unlawful don't follow the law.

But most importantly, and this part we seem to always tip-toe around, you deny law abiding citizens a tool that they might need to defend themselves.

As RSilvers already noted, assault, assault with a deadly weapon are already covered. There *are* legal tools in place already.

For example in WA state, anything becomes comes illegal the instant you use it to menace someone with it. But the same object isn't illegal if you use it to defend yourself. This makes sense to me.

The reality is, as someone has already pointed out, banning various objects is the easy way out. They get to say they are doing something against crime.

But the reality is, it isn't the objects, it is what is done with them.

Focusing on the objects only distracts us from the real issues. And yes, the reality is allowing certain items to be available to the general public makes the justice process more difficult. But, nobody said freedom was easy. But I think it is a critical and differentiating building block of our country.

-john

#203840 - 06/23/10 06:40 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: JohnN]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
It also seems like a prity penny went to the DA. were they running short on money?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, wileycoyote), 153 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.