Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#203604 - 06/18/10 01:29 PM NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney's office appears to be engaged in a shakedown of local businesses, forcing them to pay six-figure so-called "contributions" or risk unwarranted criminal penalties, in a move more like that of organized crime than the agency charged with protecting citizens, said a national group representing the rights of Americans who own and use pocket knives. Knife Rights Chairman, Doug Ritter, said, "the New York County District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, Jr. appears to have targeted legitimate, honest knife dealers, accused them of selling illegal 'gravity knives,' and threatening criminal prosecution if they don't pay up. The so-called "gravity knives" in question appear to be conventional one-handed and assisted-opening knives, which represent 80 percent of the pocket knives sold in the U.S. today." Some of the major retailers have reported agreed to six-figure settlements and have netted the DA millions of dollars.

Knife Rights was instrumental in passing legislation last summer, in response to a misinterpretation of law by U.S Customs and Border Protection, that specifically excepted these common pocket knives used daily by millions of Americans from the definition of a switchblade under the Federal Switchblade Act. The legislation was supported by Customs and was passed by U.S. Congress, with strong bipartisan support, and signed into law by President PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. on October 28, 2009.

Ritter said, "Given the passage of this legislation, the DA is attacking people who sell knives that were clearly defined by Congress as simple pocket knives, legislation that was supported by leading Democratic lawmakers such as Henry Waxman (D-CA), Charles Rangel (D-NY), David Obey (D-WI) and others. This action is not only unethical; it places Mr. Vance at odds with even liberal urban lawmakers and outside the mainstream on this issue."

Among the dozen or so businesses that have reported to have been targeted in New York City are Eastern Mountain Sports, Orvis, Paragon Sports, Lowe's and Home Depot. At least one out-of-state Internet retailer has been targeted.

You can view one of a number of news articles and images of the DA's Thursday afternoon news conference (held after this initial Knife Rights new release was sent out) here: http://bit.ly/ar7FLT

The six-figure so-called "contributions" are being made to a "public education fund" controlled by the DA in order to secure "deferred prosecution" agreements to avoid threatened criminal charges. Additional outrageous and over-reaching demands have also apparently been made to avoid prosecution.

Said Ritter, "This appears to be little more than extortion on the part of a District Attorney who appears determined to shake down honest businesses and remove from the New York market common tools used daily by New Yorkers in their homes, in business and while recreating. These are simple pocket knives, legitimate tools used every day by millions of law-abiding Americans."

More: http://bit.ly/ayTLMc

Edited by Doug_Ritter (06/18/10 01:36 PM)
Edit Reason: Added more
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#203606 - 06/18/10 02:07 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Doug_Ritter]
TimDex Offline
Journeyman

Loc: New York State
Doug: Here's a link to the NY Times story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/18/nyregi...agewanted=print

Is there a link anywhere to what knife models were affected by this?

(Not to be political, but it's wonderful living in a state where public policy on both knives and guns is set by NYC politicians....)

Thanks for posting this. Tim W.

#203607 - 06/18/10 02:34 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Doug_Ritter]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Wow, that is so sad when law abiding folks and businesses get caught up in things like this. I’ve always had horses and for safety sake (horses and mine) carried a one handed knife with a good locking mechanism when working around them and especially when trail riding, so I’d guess that would be what they are referring to. I’d also guess from the description and pics of the knives confiscated that safety will be compromised for the users with the choices left on the shelves.

Doug, thanks for all your work and effort on this issue and for bringing this to our attention.

#203608 - 06/18/10 02:39 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: TimDex]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
So 19 of 59 murders in NYC last year were stabbings. I'd like to know what kinds of knives were used.

How many were kitchen knives used in domestic disputes?

Go get 'em, Doug!

His office will next target out-of-state knife merchants who sell to New Yorkers, Vance said.

"We will make undercover purchases out-of-state," Vance said. "We may use the Internet as an investigation tool."

I was contemplating a camping vacation in the Adirondacks. Forget that, I will stick with Virginia and the Blue Ridge Mountains.

#203610 - 06/18/10 03:16 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Dagny]
ajax Offline

And in a running story....NY continues to hemorrhage residents.

#203611 - 06/18/10 04:31 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: ajax]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Were I in any sort of retail business I don't believe I would ship anything to several states including New York.

I'm sure I would inadvertently sell something with an intolerable sodium content, pencils that are too sharp, flashlights that are too bright, food that's so good it's addictive, books that could be used at weapons, etc.

frown

#203612 - 06/18/10 05:46 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: TimDex]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: TimDex

Is there a link anywhere to what knife models were affected by this?

A little more information:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/17/ap/business/main6591619.shtml

Quote:
(AP) NEW YORK (AP) - Home Depot, a Beretta subsidiary and other retailers ranging from sporting-goods chains to a local locksmith have agreed to stop selling quick-release knives at New York City stores after prosecutors said the shops sold banned blades to undercover investigators.

Investigators so far have swooped up more than 1,300 knives, spanning from pearl-handled blades to items sold for cutting linoleum.

Found the legal precedent, sort of. It sounds like the interpertation is any knife which can be "flicked" open and locked. So, lockbacks without a heavy locking spring and liner and frame locks because of their weak detente are the most likely targets. Sliplocks (SAKs) are probably still safe.

Quote:
5. "Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released
from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the
application of centrifugal force which, when released, is locked in
place by means of a button, spring, lever or other device.

Edited by Mark_R (06/18/10 06:07 PM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#203615 - 06/18/10 06:19 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Mark_R]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Laws making specific items illegal with the intent of curbing violence are seriously misguided in my opinion. If someone is intent on doing someone harm, they will find a way.

Quite a while back we were working on a large software implementation project with a pair of vendor representatives. We worked with them closely for a number of months. They both seemed very nice and normal. It turns out one of those people later bludgeoned his wife to death with a power tool.

If power tools are even on the list of things people want to ban, they have to be pretty darn far down the list.

In addition to not stopping crime, we should remember that when we restrict self defense tools that require less physical strength, we don't make everyone safe, we leave the weak at the mercy of the strong.

Thanks for all your work Doug.

-john

#203616 - 06/18/10 10:02 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: JohnN]
Seawolf1090 Offline
Stranger

Loc:
This PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. tool is learning well from his masters - sounds like the same kind of scam being done by Mayor Bloomingidiot to the gun dealers....... Is there something in these politician's Perrier Water that rots their brains...?

#203621 - 06/18/10 11:34 PM Re: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers [Re: Seawolf1090]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
I remember various USA states trying to ban the Buck folding hunters back in the 1970s.
I can remember that in one of their cases, I think it was in California, it was argued that they were switchblades because a police officer was able to hold one by the blade and open it by jerking it in the air.

The idea that you would be left holding the knife by the blade and threatening the other person with the handle seemed to be a consideration the officer missed.
(Notice my avoiding any pun on whether he got the point)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.