Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#203594 - 06/18/10 07:13 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: dougwalkabout]
LED Offline
Veteran

Bartertown?? Dang it! I knew I should've stocked up on black leather clothing, metal codpieces, and spikey hair gel. Hmmm, now might be the time to befriend a domineering little person who speaks in terse sentences. Now where did I put my thigh mounted crossbow holster........

#203597 - 06/18/10 11:24 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: LED]
pezhead Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Minnesota
Bartertown? Maybe a pig farm might get you started?

#203600 - 06/18/10 12:41 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: LED]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Hmmm, now might be the time to befriend a domineering little person who speaks in terse sentences.

Befriend one?! Heck, I'm married to one!

-Blast, who also owns black leather chaps.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203601 - 06/18/10 12:43 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I have no idea where this story arc goes ...

Probably with some damn Aussie hitting me with my own train as he escapes with a bunch of children.

Note to self: get rid of my train.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203634 - 06/19/10 04:30 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: chickenlittle]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...it assumes that everything has collapsed to the point that markets are closed and are going to stay closed for a long time."

Not necessarily. Imagine a two-week trucker's strike in our barely-in-time marketplace, with grocery stores cleared out in an hour or two. How long would it take the military to get basic supplies to the approx. 28 million (mostly unprepared) people in SoCal after a big quake shook the overpasses down? How long would it take them to just get WATER to that many people in summer?

I think the best advice was to stock things you would normally use yourself -- if you need them, other people will need them.

Sue

#203638 - 06/19/10 12:07 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Susan
...I think the best advice was to stock things you would normally use yourself -- if you need them, other people will need them.

Sue
That's what we do. The stuff we eat everyday we keep in relatively large quantities. No freeze dried or MRE's, they're too expensive unless you require the light weight that freeze drying offers, or the Mil-Spec any environment lifespan of MRE's. Neither apply to food you store and use at home.

#203738 - 06/21/10 01:55 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: chaosmagnet]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I used to barter computer repairs for free treatment from my chiropractor. Her computer was in much better shape than my spine, though, so I ended up writing her a number of checks over the years.

An informal market for the barter of expertise is very common in my social circle. I've obtained free medical advice, extremely valuable legal assistance, mechanical expertise, and the names of reliable contractors. In exchange I've provided advice for preparing for emergencies, plumbing, electrical wiring, and other things.

To get back to the OP, if you have an established web of friendship and social obligation it will be much easier for you to get what you need via barter, and barter of expertise can be very valuable.

It's funny you mention this. We're moving to a new house where the neighbors are a contruction guy, a mechanic, a baker and a marine biologist. I make beer. I'm hoping to set up some sort of friendly barter after we've moved in though, I can't think what the marine biologist would be good for. wink

#203741 - 06/21/10 02:11 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: CarlosD]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
I can't think what the marine biologist would be good for.

Free shrimp?

Seriously though, the biologist probably has access to government officials and other quasi-powerful people.

-Blast

#203743 - 06/21/10 02:15 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Blast]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Ha! I get the idea he's a prof or TA or something. Maybe I could give him beer if he maintains my marine aquarium for me?

#203746 - 06/21/10 03:00 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: CarlosD]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: CarlosD
It's funny you mention this. We're moving to a new house where the neighbors are a contruction guy, a mechanic, a baker and a marine biologist. I make beer. I'm hoping to set up some sort of friendly barter after we've moved in though, I can't think what the marine biologist would be good for. wink

It's too bad you're not moving to my neighborhood. Beer for computer and network consulting sounds like a great deal.

Page 9 of 10 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.