The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203538 - 06/16/10 10:34 PM First time 911 call today
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
So, there I was, walking out of the local big orange home improvement store with my brother. We are discussing important things, like the outrageous prices of LED replacement bulbs for home fixtures. We both notice a young lady about 15 yards away in our line of vision and walking direction. As I turn my head to further comment, he and she smile at each other as you do when you have incidental eye contact. She was walking around the back of her SUV. Just as I turn my head back forward, she falls backwards, straight as a board, no knee buckling. We run over, I do a quick look at her eyes, I look for breathing signs, and any trembling. As I am an epileptic these are things I look for. My brother says "That's a 911 call". Just as I begin to call, while still kneeling down, a doctor comes over and identifies himself as a doctor. He heard the sound of her head hitting the ground from a good 40 feet away, as did another customer. Anyway, the 911 operator answers in the traditional manner. I give my name, location, and a general description of what happened, and a few others I figured they would ask. I remained calm, spoke clearly and slowly, and answered all their additional questions. In the meantime a nurse happened to see what the hub-bub and assisted the doctor. The ambulance showed up about seven or eight minutes later. One of the EMTs recognized the girl as a "repeat offender (patient)". She apparently does not take care of her condition. We surmised she has other "medicines" she takes based on the tone of voice of the EMT and general appearance of the girl. Call it "Medical Profiling" if you must; but it seems to bear itself out in this case. All that to say this; it was interesting. BTW, this changes me over from an "Addict" to an "old Hand"

Edited by MoBOB (06/16/10 10:35 PM)

#203539 - 06/16/10 10:55 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: MoBOB]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Congrats, Old Hand, and good job!

yeah, there's lots of non-compliant patients. Frequent fliers, non-compliant, repeat offenders... call it what you want, they still clog up the health care system with their shennanigans. By that I mean, they come in repeatedly, have a treatment in hand (which costs money), then don't use it and come in again. rinse and repeat.

Self-medication just makes the job that much more "fun."

In fact, there's a pilot program going on in Philly that pays $90/month for patients that prove they're compliant. apparently it's cheaper just to pay patients to take care of themselves. How lazy/greedy can they get?

#203541 - 06/16/10 11:16 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: MoBOB]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What strikes me about your account is the proximity of physicians and nurses to the scene. I have had the same experience on several similar situations,. including an archaeological convention some years ago, where my good friend and project assistant went into a totally unexpected grand mal seizure. I raced to his side, and barely beat an RN. How do they do it and what was an RN doing hanging out with diggers?

This has not been a unique experience....

Really is cool, isn't it, becoming an Old Hand.....

#203546 - 06/17/10 02:05 AM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: hikermor]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I just noticed that this is in the wrong section. I am sure this does not qualify as a natural or large-scale disaster. I guess I was reviewing the latest when this struck my mind. Sorry for any confusion or consternation this may have caused. blush

#203556 - 06/17/10 12:58 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: MoBOB]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Moved up here -
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#203562 - 06/17/10 03:56 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: KG2V]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I went on a long out and back bike ride, 4 hours or so. On the way out I saw an obese guy in a wheelchair kind of slumped over with a blanket on him. I blazed by thinking he was okay. While coming back the guy was still there. My car was only a few minutes away with my phone and water so I figured I'd drive towards him to see what was going on. I mean they guy HAD been sitting out for hours on a busy road and if he'd been in real distress I thought someone would have done something.

As it turned out, an ambulance was parked near my car and I rode over to talk to the EMTs. After describing the man, they spoke his name and that he was a repeat offender or well known to them. He was drunk and passed out on the street in his wheelchair.

Sad.

#203570 - 06/17/10 07:46 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: comms]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
A while back a buddy who is an EMT told me about a 'frequent flyer". He lives near the hostpital, is a career alcoholic/unemployed mooch/one of the guys you see standing on traffic islands with a sign.

When he is away from home and wants a free ride, he calls 911 complaining of chest pains. Of course, they have to go and get him. He gets out of the ambulance, waves bye, and half the time doesn't even go into the ER, saying it was gas, he feels fine now.

And of course, the one time the EMTs will be slow to respond will be the time he drops dead of a heart attack and his family sues because it took too long to come help him.

Should do it like it used to be, you pay to ride - either a fee for services rendered or a yearly subscription/membership. But of course, these people are entitled to free rides, it's one of their rights because they pay taxes.

#203577 - 06/17/10 11:53 PM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

That sort of abusive behavior is not rare but it is also not that common. It has to be understood that attempts to charge, collect, register and subscribe are always more expensive than simply sucking up the occasional abuse as a matter of course. Enforcement, collection and exclusion cost time and money.

Far more common than indigents using EMTs as convenient taxis are the constant stream of asthma attacks, heart issues, allergy attacks, and collapse from people with chronic problems. These people are genuinely sick but they are unable to manage their disease because of a lack of insurance or resources for drugs, transport, care. Some can't or won't take their medication/s. Estimates are that a third of all the alcoholics are self-medicating for mental illness or chronic pain and that a good proportion of people with high blood pressure and other chronic diseases are rationing their medications. Cutting pills in half and/or frequency to try to get by on less.

Sometimes this has to do with the price of the medication but often it has to do with a lack of money to visit a doctor to get a refill. A lot of people can't swing the $20 for cab fare to a doctor's office, $80 for a visit, $80 for testing, and $100 for prescription/s.

Call the EMTs and you get a ride, a doctor sees you, you get a prescription, and they give you a two-week supply from samples. And often all the delays, humiliation, and abuse you can stand. Some people abuse the system but the system also abuses people.

And yes, people pay taxes. In terms of percentage of income poor people always pay more.

#203578 - 06/18/10 12:45 AM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: Art_in_FL]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Last week we had an employee collapse in a different office. A couple other employees attempted CPR, but since nobody knew it, they had to be talked through it by the 911 dispatcher over the phone. He didn't survive. I don't know enough details to know that a trained rescuer could have made a difference, but it's certainly possible.

I think the survival lesson is that you can be as prepared and equipped as possible, but if the people around you (friends, family, coworkers, neighbors) aren't at all, you've got a big honking gap in your plan.

#203585 - 06/18/10 02:49 AM Re: First time 911 call today [Re: hikermor]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"...barely beat an RN. How do they do it and what was an RN doing hanging out with diggers?"

tsk, tsk, tsk!

A - some got into nursing because they want to help people.

B - RNs are people, too. They dig (and some even garden), they show dogs, they paint, they are acrobats, they arrange competitive wheelchair races, they skydive, they write, they shoot tin cans, they raise goats and orchids, they barrel race, etc, etc, etc.

And some of them smoke... THAT'S what surprises ME!

Sue

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.