Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#203420 - 06/14/10 04:05 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: Dagny]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nuking the oil leak makes for perfect sense, the only objections would be from BP who would lose all the work/money putting the original hole in the ground in the first place. Nuclear testing has been done before underground, in the sea, in space, in fact anywhere the government was expecting to fight a war. A sub sea underground nuke is also much more environmentally friendly than 50,000 barrels of oil per day every day for the next 6 months being released into the Gulf of Mexico.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/14/10 04:06 PM)

#203421 - 06/14/10 04:11 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Nuking the oil leak makes for perfect sense, the only objections would be from BP who would lose all the work/money putting the original hole in the ground in the first place. Nuclear testing has been done before underground, in the sea, in space, in fact anywhere the government was expecting to fight a war. A sub sea underground nuke is also much more environmentally friendly than 50,000 barrels of oil per day every day for the next 6 months being released into the Gulf of Mexico.

And what proof do you have that this would actually work? Again, no American President is going to try that experiment! The political fall-out would be hotter than the nuke.

#203425 - 06/14/10 04:59 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: rebwa]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Russia have quite a positive experience nuking the burning gas holes underground (and no, Chernobyl is a completely different story smile ). They aren't afraid to use the mighty nuclear energy if necessary. I'm sure their engineers have some calculations and plans already, but I'm also sure that after decades of nuclear fear propaganda in US it's almost impossible to convince Americans to follow them.

#203426 - 06/14/10 05:00 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
the only objections would be from BP

LOL -- I'll take that bet.

Has a nuclear remedy been discussed in the mainstream media?

Would think the media would be blasting, so to speak, that news all over the place.

#203434 - 06/14/10 06:12 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: Jesselp]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Perhaps our resident oil well plumber can shed some light on the subject of what the options actually are? Blast?

Summary: radioactive debris would remain in the gulf a lot longer than crude oil.

Long version of answer:
The nuke option should be the final option a year or more from now if nothing else works. The Russian nukes were used to extinguish land-based well fires not deep-sea wells. The pressure wave from the detonation "blew out' the fire like a birthday candle, the bombs didn't seal the wells by converting the ground to molten slag. There's no fire at the BP well so the main purpose nuking it like the Russians did is a false pretense.

you may not believe me, but everything you hear about this oil killing the Gulf is wrong. Bacteria in the ocean is EXTREMELY good at using crude oil as a food source. Oil has been seeping into the water naturally for millions of years and creatures have evolved that feed on it. Like any time when food becomes abundent, the populations of critters that eat it explodes. The bacteria consume the oil and convert it into the same harmless nutritional building blocks that your stomach does to a carrot.

Along with the bacteria, the sun also does a wonderful job of quickly degrading the oil. The UV light easily breaks the oil apart into smaller and smaller peices which make it even better food. Basically, any oil in the Gulf has a very short lifespan before it is gone without a trace.

Now, during the time it is present some animals, sadly will die from encountering it. This sucks, but the populations will quickly return to normal once the oil is gone.

The half-life of radioactive debris is MUCH longer than crude oil.

The only place the oil causes long lasting damage is where it hits shore. Once on the beach or coating plants in the wetlands the normal biodegradation mechanisms stop working. This means the oil needs to be prevented from reaching the beach. Luckily the well is very far offshore so only a small amount (relatively speaking) has reached the shore.

I think the best way of stopping the oil flow is with the two side wells they are currently digging. It's a slow, tricky process but it's not a novel, new process. There are thousands of wells out in the Gulf and up until 50-some days ago 30-80 new ones were being drilled every month. We know how to drill well. The question is will people be able to sit still and not make matters worse while waiting for these side wells to do their job.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203438 - 06/14/10 06:40 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: Blast]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Blast
The Russian nukes were used to extinguish land-based well fires not deep-sea wells. The pressure wave from the detonation "blew out' the fire like a birthday candle, the bombs didn't seal the wells by converting the ground to molten slag.

Not true. The "blow nuke" is just one of the recent events of this kind. Here is the historical facts:

http://www.livescience.com/technology/russia-nuke-gulf-oil-well-100512.html

and

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-a-nuke-could-plug-the-oil-well-2010-5

Yes, not deep sea, but real sealing. There is no much difference except a different geology of the seabed crust. And almost no nuclear waste, because it's all deep under the ground.

However, the sea biology facts are very reassuring. Thanks!

Edited by Alex (06/14/10 06:48 PM)

#203442 - 06/14/10 07:17 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: wildman800]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
All three sound like somebodies vivid imagination and will not happen.

#203443 - 06/14/10 07:22 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: Blast]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Blast
Quote:
Perhaps our resident oil well plumber can shed some light on the subject of what the options actually are? Blast?

Long version of answer:
The nuke option should be the final option a year or more from now if nothing else works.
-Blast

Blast, I'm disappointed! You were actually in the position to advocate detonating a nuclear warhead! Live up to your name, man!

Really though, thanks for the levelheaded analysis of what's going on. Very informative (and in line with what my web research tells me).

Jesselp

#203444 - 06/14/10 07:24 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: rebwa]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
This is nothing more than tin-foil rumor! I am down here, and have several friends at LSU and GOHSEP who are inolved. I've heard nothing like this from them, nor has there been anything serious in the press. And the NG request seems prudent if, as it appears, a larger cleanup effort is called for.

This rumor is just that - another case of speculatuon plus tangential fact equals "truth".

This is indeed a huge disaster, our second, but please - let's keep discussion to the facts. This thread is out-of-bounds. Alan/Doug - can you close this?

#203445 - 06/14/10 07:31 PM Re: Evacuation Net Rumors are Increasing [Re: cliff]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Sure they can. But why? By your request?

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.