Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203387 - 06/13/10 07:59 PM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: chickenlittle]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I've found it quite practical. For hundreds of years sailors have wrapped items in cord to enhance grips; am I afraid of bacteria in my handle? LOL, I don't think so, no offense but thats silly. Do I plan to unravel it if I get in trouble, not thats why I carry paracord. Do most hikers carry hatchets? no, most hikers don't have a clue what to do with a hatchet or knife other than to pick their fingernails. Thanks for the positive feedback chicken. Its a fiskars hatchet; and to be honest its the sharpest thing I own. I can beat the hell out of wood all day, then shave hair clean in one stroke.

Edited by kevingg (06/13/10 08:02 PM)

#203388 - 06/13/10 08:33 PM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: chickenlittle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

A paracord wrapped handle improves your grip when you are sweating and in the rain. It is also a good way to carry extra cordage without taking up space. As far as bacteria, if that is your greatest worry, you are worried about the wrong things. If you need to, just let them set in direct sunlight when you are able. It will kill most of it.

#203389 - 06/13/10 08:39 PM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: gonewiththewind]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Montanero
A paracord wrapped handle improves your grip when you are sweating and in the rain. It is also a good way to carry extra cordage without taking up space. As far as bacteria, if that is your greatest worry, you are worried about the wrong things. If you need to, just let them set in direct sunlight when you are able. It will kill most of it.

thanks montanero. also, thinking about it paracord is synthetic; and dries very quickly. there is just nothing on which micro-organisms can grow.

#203391 - 06/13/10 09:54 PM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: kevingg]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Wrapping cord around tool handles is a good way of improving their grip. It needn't be para-cord, any synthetic cord with the right characteristics will work. Polyester and nylon are good. Polypropylene, very prone to abrasion and UV damage, and Dyneema, tough as iron but slippery, not so much. Any middling two to five millimeter utility cord will serve. For smaller tools braided mason line can work well.

In Florida, land of heat and humidity, cord wrapping handles can improve comfort and function. But you also have to be careful. If the tool handle is prone to rust cord wrapping can hold salty sweat against the vulnerable steel and cause corrosion.

Also, IMHO, handle wrapping is not a particularly attractive way of carrying cordage. Yes, it means you have some cord, assuming you haven't lost the hatchet, but so would stuffing a hank of line in your pants or jacket pocket. And a hank in your pocket doesn't require it to be unwoven before use and, an important point in my book, the stuff in your pocket hasn't been riding exposed to the sunlight and the sort of physical abuse hatchets and such tools get.

Having some light line at hand is good. But it is better if you can break it out quickly and if it isn't half worn through or weak from UV damage.

A thirty foot hank of light line tends to disappear if you coil it loosely.

#203392 - 06/13/10 10:26 PM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: Art_in_FL]
kevingg Offline
Addict

I agree 100%. I put way too much work into it to have any intention of unwrapping it to sling a bear bag or rig a tarp or something. that's what the cord I bring is for, like you said Art.

#203393 - 06/13/10 11:42 PM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: chickenlittle]
bill Offline
Stranger

Loc: Fl, Gulf Coast
Very nice work...

#203548 - 06/17/10 04:41 AM Re: A couple of recent paracord handle wraps [Re: kevingg]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
That truly is some Beautiful work,Indeed!As for bacteria,If anything,It would be the Good Bacteria,but of course,lol!Short of Dis-colored,I've yet to see Paracord's Integrity,Compromised by U.V's but,I'm sure if Salt water were added to that,I'm sure something would come of it!In lieu of whale/walrus parts,I would call that the Scrimshaw of Today!I would Happily purchase some of that Knowledge, if it were available!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.