Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#203395 - 06/14/10 12:02 AM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in des [Re: Susan]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'd much rather spend winter in the central Pacific sub-tropics/tropics. She departed SOCAL in January (winter) and arrived at her final destination (far southern Indian Ocean) in May-June (late fall going into winter). Then again she was delayed en-route and may have planned to cross that piece of water earlier than she did. Maybe she was supposed to have spent winter in the Pacific sub-tropics/tropics.

Her boat was purposely designed and built for sailing the Southern Ocean and that seems to have been the plan; still with the delays I'd have considered shifting north. She may have been going for speed and she can cross more lines of longitude further south, but that's a very unforgiving piece of water.

Originally Posted By: James_Van_Artsdalen
. . .The one poor decision I see appears to be a case of "go fever", not exactly unknown in adults (hello Apollo 1). I suspect the reason she was crossing that area in a bad weather season was that if she waited until after the season she might not have broken the record (which, ironically, she had already abandoned by the time she got there). There's lots of blame all around if this is the case, but at least she didn't set sail before she & the boat were ready.. . .
Agree.

That said, I think she did good, right up until that big wave rolled her and broke Wild Eye's mast. At that point age was irrelevant.

#203400 - 06/14/10 02:30 AM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in des [Re: Russ]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
There is another possibility - they may have optimized the travel plan to accept poorer weather in the Southern Ocean in order to get better weather at Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope. That might make sense in a non-stop circumnavigation if there is no realistic sailing schedule that avoids poor weather seasons everywhere.

#203424 - 06/14/10 04:51 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: billvann]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Turns out that her dad is broke and was shopping her story as a reality show. It takes nothing from her skill or courage but mayber her family is not the "Adventure Cleavers" they've been made out to be.

#203433 - 06/14/10 06:09 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Many, many people in America are broke and scrambling to survive.

At least he didn't send out an empty yacht and then scream that she was on board.

She had the determination, the ability and a custom-built yacht, so why not?

Sue

#203454 - 06/14/10 09:26 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Addict

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
Turns out that her dad is broke and was shopping her story as a reality show. It takes nothing from her skill or courage but mayber her family is not the "Adventure Cleavers" they've been made out to be.

Have you ever wondered how Shackleton, Amundsen, etc, funded their expeditions?

The same way. And, by and large, they were broke most of the time. Exploration isn't cheap, and not everyone is content to leave it to the very rich, or the politically well-connected.

#203461 - 06/14/10 10:33 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Have you ever wondered how Shackleton, Amundsen, etc, funded their expeditions?

The same way. And, by and large, they were broke most of the time. Exploration isn't cheap, and not everyone is content to leave it to the very rich, or the politically well-connected.

Oh that's right, no one has ever been to the Indian Ocean before. Abby Sunderland is an explorer who is charting unknown seas...

Oh that's... not right.

Jeez, no one said she or her family were frauds, only that there may be more to the story than "wonderful family encourages valiant teen to follow her dreams, and no financial pressure was ever involved".

#203462 - 06/14/10 10:59 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Addict

Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

Oh that's right, no one has ever been to the Indian Ocean before. Abby Sunderland is an explorer who is charting unknown seas...

Shackleton's Trans-Antarctic expedition would have been *third* to reach the South Pole. That seems not to have deterred him at all.

There are those who Do and those who Don't. I'm pleased that there are still some of the former.

#203464 - 06/14/10 11:08 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Shackleton's Trans-Antarctic expedition would have been *third* to reach the South Pole. That seems not to have deterred him at all.

Was Shackleton an adult at the time of his fundraising and exploring, or was he 16 years old during the modern media age? Details, details.

#203466 - 06/14/10 11:16 PM Re: 16-year-old solo sailor Abby Sunderland in destres [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
AndrewC Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Boise, ID
For me, it'd really come down to whether it was "Our daughter is going on a sailing trip around the world, so let's get a book/TV deal to fund it!" Or was it "We need some money, so let's get a book/TV deal and send our daughter on a sailing trip around the world!" Was the primary motivation adventure, or money?

Reading Abby's blog, I lean toward believing the motivation was adventure.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.