Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#203131 - 06/09/10 10:41 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
@ireckon: Since your reply appears to be directed at me...

To set the record straight, I am far from anti-gun, and in fact I own firearms. I am not going to get into any debate past this in regards to the merits of owning a firearm and if this makes me one of "most logical, most level-headed, most capable people I know."

The purpose of original post here was what items are useful in a hypothetical worst case scenario. I voiced my opinion and my position has not and will not change regardless of whatever other people think or wish to evangelize on.

That said, can the original topic(s) get back on track here, or perhaps the MODS should consider locking this thread.

John Lubbock

#203137 - 06/09/10 01:51 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Teslinhiker]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
It might be useful to look at what people found to be worth trading in other near apocalypses.
A lot of the precious items in collapsed economies are things thought of as either trash or as luxuries in healthy economies.

Post WWII Germany saw a high demand for rubber scraps and belt leather, as well as for booze and nylon stockings.

If you look at some of the collapsed and failed economies in Africa and the East you will see other clues.
In Dem. Rep. Congo the offering was bicycles, roofing tin, and sewing machines in exchange for weapons.
This was in a country torn up with civil war.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/5180144.stm
Whether you are pro or anti-gun this should be looked at as an indicator of what is of more value.

Often the most important trade items are skills. Again there are many examples in recent events.

IMHO, Jeff and Art have it down pretty good.

#203148 - 06/09/10 06:42 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Tarzan]
alanz Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Tarzan
Vices and luxuries- soap, perfume, alcohol, tobacco, condoms, naturally common ammunition to a smaller extent.

I was storing some alcohol and tobacco at first, but now I'm wondering if there will be enough demand for these things if things get really bad. If people are desperate, these won't be their highest priorities.

I read Ragnar's Urban Survival recently, and here is his list of barter items to stock up on: ammo, soap, medicine, toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper, underwear, aspirin, pens, pencils, paper, cooking oil, salt, wire, fertilizer, gloves, tape, knives, sharpening stones, matches, saws, files, oil, engine filters, canning lids, freezer bags, electrical supplies, nylon rope, batteries, lamp mantles, flour, yeast, detergent, needles and thread, tape, bleach, antacids, sugar, nails, screws, bolts, and shoelaces, among other things.

#203163 - 06/09/10 11:48 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: alanz]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
THIS IDIOTS OPINION - "DON'T PLAN ON BARTER!"

Stock every damn thing you use on a regular basis from food to boots. Only stock what YOU NEED AND USE!

Once you have your needs and consumables under control FOCUS,FOCUS,FOCUS -

HOARD $100 BILLS until you have too many!

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#203168 - 06/10/10 04:48 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ponder]
SETI6equj5 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Connecticut, U.S.A
I have a few things I can add to the list just for fun:

Razor blades.
Mirrors.
Eye wear, especially reading glasses because in the post-apoco-clypse-zombie scenario, Optometrists will be among the first to go.
Religious items (non specific if barter is on your mind).
Insect and zombie repellents.
Padlocks.
Several flags of your country or otherwise (moral booster and can aid in gaining assistance).
Condoms and other forms of birth control at least equal to amount of rounds you stockpile. <laughs>
Fabrics by the yard or meter.
Small plastic pencil sharpeners.
Plastic hair combs.
Chalk. It writes on a wider variety of surfaces than pen and pencil.
Chicken wire and mesh window screening.
Bleach.
Small trowels for digging cat holes, gardening, etc.
Some of those hand held wind up style small electronics chargers w/adapters of different sizes.
25,000 Doug Ritter Pocket Survival Paks (in case you lose one)

I might not know where I'm going, but I'll recognize it when I get there

#203192 - 06/10/10 05:37 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Urban_Survival_Store
what has everyone else been stockpiling PURELY for barter purposes?
Nothing. I've considered keeping cigarettes for barter, but never did anything about it, partly because as a non-smoker I wouldn't know what to buy. And I don't know how well they age. Their virtue is that if smokers run out they might become desperate for them.

The best trade items are probably irreplaceable consumables (which means most consumables nowadays). People are going to run out. The maxim, "Buy what you eat, eat what you buy" applies; it's best to stock the consumables you yourself consume.

So I have strategic surpluses, goods where I keep way more than I expect to need. I suspect they'll get given away rather than traded, which you can think of as bartering for goodwill.

#203205 - 06/10/10 08:55 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: The_Urbivalist]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Electrons.

With solar panels capable of recharging other people's electronic devices such as radios and laptop computers, I can have a constantly renewed source of barter goods. Plus I can use the solar cells now for my own stuff so it's not wasted space/money.

Never underestimate the power of power.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#203259 - 06/11/10 02:16 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Blast]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
As a non smoker, I stock cigarettes since I suspect that smokers would become desperate.
Any popular brand will do, simply ask your local shop what is popular.
They keep several years.
I rotate stocks by giving them as Christmas presents to friends and family who smoke.

In the event of any serious and very sudden disaster I would buy more cigarettes, since they are the only widely used article of which I can carry say £1,000 worth.
I dont drive, therefore last minute stocking up is limited to what I can carry.
I already have fair stocks of food, water, fuel, clothes, blankets, tools and other supplies.
But if I had reason to believe that money was suddenly going to become worthless, I would quickly draw the maximum permitted from ATMs and buy as much food as I could carry, and spend the rest on cigarettes.

Edited by adam2 (06/11/10 02:26 PM)

#203274 - 06/11/10 05:48 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: adam2]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: adam2
But if I had reason to believe that money was suddenly going to become worthless, I would quickly draw the maximum permitted from ATMs and buy as much food as I could carry, and spend the rest on cigarettes.

FWIW, you'd get a lot more for the money by buying tobacco tins/pouches and rolling papers. Probably last longer too as they are completely sealed.

#203278 - 06/11/10 06:28 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: LED]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I've actually considered buying a copy cartons of smokes at the local rez. I've never smoked, do they stay long or should they be wrapped up in Press and Seal?

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.