Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203401 - 06/14/10 03:05 AM Re: Emotional Response vs. Measured Reaction [Re: ki4buc]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Your decisions will never be as rational for a family member as they will be for a stranger or even a friend. You can't train that emotional response out of you no matter how hard you try.

If I saw a stranger holding on to a live electrical wire, unable to release it, I would be looking for an insulated stick of some kind to knock it away or for the power shutoff. If it were my kid, my thoughts would be more like "How fast can I run and tackle them, hopefully forcing them away from the wire?" Much the same - I would be perfectly willing to throw myself in front of a speeding car to knock my kid out of the way, but maybe not so much for a stanger. Is it rational to jump in front of a speeding car? But would you really hope for restraint not to do that and allow your child to be killed without you even TRYING to help?

Don't beat yourself up mentally for things that you cannot, or really wouldn't WANT to change. Do your best to plan ahead and try to forsee a response for dangerous situations. Don't be an idiot, but don't freeze up and be scared to act. When the time comes for action, trust yourself to "just know" the best course of action - be it the rational one, or the emotional one. When it's your child involved things are just different. And yes, I always did the rational and well thought out response back when I was a paramedic tending to injured people. My safety before theirs. But that would not necessarily be so responding for my family. I realize that my rationality might be out the window and I'd just be winging it.

It helps when you have the training and experience to know a real emergency for non-critical things though. When my young kids broke their arms (they were always doing that!), they'd coming running into the house screaming bloody murder "My arm's broken!!!" Then I'd say, "Well, that's not so good. Why don't you come sit down here?" They were probably expecting a response more ... sympathetically hysterical. I knew better. They probably would have gotten the emotional/hysterical response for a harpoon through the head though. I don't think I could have controlled myself as well then!

#203403 - 06/14/10 06:55 AM Re: Emotional Response vs. Measured Reaction [Re: ki4buc]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ki4buc
Everyone should read "How We Decide" by Jonah Lehrer. Very very good book detailing what we know about the brain today and the difference between "emotional" and "rational" thought and which one is in charge.

Thanks for the tip.

"Deep survival" by Laurence Gonzales also covers what seems - to me, at least - to be an excellent summary of current knowledge about how we decide things. (I'm in no position to judge the hard-core scientific basic of his book). Very well written, too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 346 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.