Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203031 - 06/06/10 06:32 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Krista]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Get the best maps you can. The DeLorme atlases are OK, they work, but they don't have the fine detail of the USGS maps (but both are often a bit long in the tooth). For the critical areas, I like having the USGSes, and a chopped DeLorme for the less critical areas in BoB. But if you can afford it, USGSes for the whole thing- a map case made of PVC is bulky, but bugging out by car it is manageable.

By chopped, I mean cover and touristy stuff, gone. Remove the portions of the book you won't need. Fold them consistantly, and put them in something like an AlkoSak or similiar waterproof bag. I"ve got the top half of Vermont in package not a lot bigger than a deck of playing cards after that. It's a good place to put things like photocopies of your liscence, birth certificate and passport, and some cash, along with a spare compass.

Of course, never trust ONE map. DeLorme, USGS, USFS, local parks and recreation agencies, aeronautical and coastal charts, they all end up in my collection along with aerial and satellite photos. Better than just a map is to drive your major routes, best is to drive them all, and bestest is to walk them, learn where the short cuts are, where the river fords are, that kind of thing.

EDIT: "Bestest" is hyperbole, I know quite well it isn't a word. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#203035 - 06/06/10 08:28 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: ironraven]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Interesting article on the current and future look of maps in the latest edition of Backpacker magazine. If I call, two of the guys on the Q&A were with Google Maps and USGS and how thats blending everything together physically. Also a good article on a author creating his own maps with infinite deal and then the website prints them out at like $13 bucks a pop. Ideal for what he called, "Locatypograghy"

#203042 - 06/07/10 01:35 AM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Krista]
Rooster Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: Krista
Hi everyone! So, I'm spending a romantic afternoon with the dear husband working on our BOBs. smile Looking at items that we need to add, we think we need some topographical maps.

We've looked on several websites and at several different options. I told him about you marvelous and helpful individuals, and he said well ask them! smile

Here's what we're looking for in a topo:

~1:50,000 scale (ideally)
~As portable as possible (considering the scale we want)
~Covers our entire state (not just a small portion, which is something we're seeing in a lot of the topos we've looked at).

So far the ones we have found are digital (which is impractical in a no-power situation). If not digital, they are 1:500,000 scale, which seems harder to read.

So, what kinds of topos do you guys use? Any advice on choosing? And please, don't hesitate to provide links!! smile

PS- Here's something like what we are thinking of: Topo Atlas

Krista ... we've got that same NC atlas that we use when we camp/hike all around table rock, tryon, black mtn, etc. It works just fine.

If you go the software route and decide to print your own be sure to print to waterproof paper. I like the rite anywhere brand and it is not that expensive.

#203045 - 06/07/10 03:15 AM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Yuccahead]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
David,

Recommend you check out the 8.6 upgrade to Terrain Nav. It's a nice improvement though the print options take a bit getting used to.

Let me know if you need any help.

Blake

#203118 - 06/08/10 07:59 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Krista]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Go to the Flight Service desk at your local airport and ask to see a Visual Flight Rules (VFR) chart for your area. They may fit your needs quite well. I carry a few of them to cover the western rivers and all the areas between them and my home. I like the scale.

#203182 - 06/10/10 01:20 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: wildman800]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
http://libremap.org/

I download my quads, add UTM grid if necessary, crop my area to hike/backpack, print on regular paper. 1:50K is a good size to me.

#203290 - 06/11/10 09:22 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: jshannon]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
But they are 50 years old data, isn't they?

#203304 - 06/12/10 01:32 AM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
On at least USGS quads, the data are older than that. They are still very useful. Aerial photos came into mapping big time with the advent of WWII, and maps made since that time need updating of their cultural features, but the terrain remains constant.

The current maps for the California Channel Islands date from 1943, when the US military thought it might be useful to obtain accurate maps of coastal regions, and the topography is right on. I used those maps intensively for fifteen years - they were fully satisfactory.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 301 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.