Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202997 - 06/05/10 07:06 PM Topo Maps
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Hi everyone! So, I'm spending a romantic afternoon with the dear husband working on our BOBs. smile Looking at items that we need to add, we think we need some topographical maps.

We've looked on several websites and at several different options. I told him about you marvelous and helpful individuals, and he said well ask them! smile

Here's what we're looking for in a topo:

~1:50,000 scale (ideally)
~As portable as possible (considering the scale we want)
~Covers our entire state (not just a small portion, which is something we're seeing in a lot of the topos we've looked at).

So far the ones we have found are digital (which is impractical in a no-power situation). If not digital, they are 1:500,000 scale, which seems harder to read.

So, what kinds of topos do you guys use? Any advice on choosing? And please, don't hesitate to provide links!! smile

PS- Here's something like what we are thinking of: Topo Atlas

Edited by Krista (06/05/10 07:17 PM)

~Marion C. Garretty

#202998 - 06/05/10 08:43 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Krista]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

For any retreat/home, assuming you have a map type personality, I would recommend that you have a copy, or three, of the USGS topographical maps at as large a scale as you can handle. These can be hung and overlayed with Mylar and marked up as need be with dry-erase markers or grease pencils.

The biggest issue with USGS maps is that they aren't updated very often so sections can benefit if you use Google-earth/map to update changes.

It is an interesting process that greatly increases the understanding and familiarity of the surrounding areas.

For areas not directly surrounding your retreat/s my preference id to get the Atlas/Gazetteer of your state. This is a cross between a topo map and road map that covers the state collected into a handy 16" by 11" format. These have far more detail as to the lay of the land (topography, vegetation, water and drainage) than any road map and have, based on those I have used, about 95% of what I need off a large scale topo map.

http://www.amazon.com/North-Carolina-Atlas-Gazetteer/dp/0899332773

Don't use the cover picture on the gazetteer as a guide. The picture on the cover of my Florida atlas/gazetteer shows a lower scale than what is inside.

#202999 - 06/05/10 09:05 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Krista]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
~1:50,000 scale (ideally)
~As portable as possible (considering the scale we want)
~Covers our entire state (not just a small portion, which is something we're seeing in a lot of the topos we've looked at).

Er a quick calculation wink

North Carolina = approx 140,000 square kilometres. At 1:50,000 scale that would work out to roughly 88 individual 1 metre square maps at 80gms/metre squared = 7kg of paper maps or around 15-16lbs of paper maps.

This would also be very expensive to purchase at this scale as well, but this is the scale required to get topographic information which is of any real use.

Perhaps the electronic solution to display the map info with a solar power source may work out to be more compact and possibly even more cost effective if you need to cover the entire state. You should also be able to get a GPS, which will accurately pin point your position on the map display thrown in for virtually nothing.

This is the sort of device that may suit your requirements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-atRCeH0IWM

But I don't think it is available in the US. frown

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/05/10 09:13 PM)

#203005 - 06/06/10 12:28 AM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You can download and print individual USGS quads if you want
http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/maps.html
Everyone uses the USGS quads which means you need a lot, I keep a few pdf's and printed and use a handheld gps for the rest. It can run 24 hours on a pair of rechargeable AA's and I keep several more pairs of AA's ready to go (low self discharge so they can sit charged and waiting)

#203007 - 06/06/10 12:50 AM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Eugene]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

Personally I use photoshop to cut and edit the USGS maps to get the areas I want, then print them out on Rite in the Rain paper (laser printer so I don't have to worry about ink running). It does get kind of unwieldy printing out the 1:24k maps on 8.5x11 size paper though. But its waterproof, I can do it at home and toner is dirt cheap ($.01/page). You could spend the money on larger format paper and take the USGS pdf files to a print shop.

#203009 - 06/06/10 12:59 AM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Eugene]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Eugene you just improved my life!
I didn't know I could get them that way.

Thanks!

#203020 - 06/06/10 01:07 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Krista]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I find the useful scale of a topo map varies with the intended activity. 1:24k is great for hiking, while 1:250k has worked well for driving and wider ranging activities. Years ago, we did a fairly large climb using the only available map, an aeronautical chart. Let's just say it was an interesting experience.

USGS maps are typically dead on with respect to contours, but are often out of date with respect to cultural features. Hiking on National Forests, I often will carry the local USFS map, plus the appropriate topo sheet. Recent aerial photos are often useful as well if you are interested in a very specific small area. With practice, you can achieve 3-D vision of them in the field with no equipment.

#203024 - 06/06/10 02:00 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: hikermor]
Outdoor_Quest Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Central Oregon
Personally, I am a big fan of myTopo's Terrain Navigator. Most SAR teams in the Pacific Northwest use it. It's simple to use. National Geo. has a fine topo program too. Water proof paper adds longevity.

Concur with all the comments about the age of data on topo maps. That said, my local butte hasn't move in 4 million years and the topo data is right on.

The Delorme Gasetters are great and I have one in all my cars.

Blake
www.outdoorquest.biz

#203028 - 06/06/10 03:47 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thanks everyone, for all your great comments and advice! You've definitely given soe great information to consider. smile Odds are good we will incorporate a bit of everyone's suggestions, lol!

~Marion C. Garretty

#203029 - 06/06/10 04:11 PM Re: Topo Maps [Re: Outdoor_Quest]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I love Terrain Navigator and use it quite a bit in my work. I haven't upgraded in a while and my version is a fussy printer. It doesn't remember settings very well but it would allow you to print out exactly the maps you need at any effective scale.

I have used it for generating everything from wall sized maps to quick pocket maps for navigating. I have also installed it on a netbook with a GPS for off road navigation. However, for printed versions to be usable and cover the entire state, it would be very bulky.

I agree that the Delorme Gazetteters might be your best solution if you need non-digital and the entire state. After that, I would suggest the USGS 1:100,000 maps. I think you can order them rolled as (opposed to folded) and possible stash the maps you need in one tube. Though the cost will add up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 415 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.