Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#202806 - 06/01/10 05:53 PM Would You Do It?
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Stranded Man Cuts Power Poles to Draw Attention

A man stranded in the bush in northern Saskatchewan was rescued last week after chopping down four power poles — knocking out electricity to surrounding communities.

More at CBC News

Would you do it if you were in dire straits in hopes of rescue?

#202808 - 06/01/10 06:10 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: Nicodemus]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Cutting a remote power line can have some pretty serious effects. It's not like a well-developed area where the grid can compensate.

You can cut off power to a hospital or nursing station, to freezers containing people's food for the next six months, to water and waste treatment plants. Not to mention power to industrial installations that can lead to spills or millions of dollars in damage.

So to answer the question, I wouldn't do it except in the most absolutely extreme situation. And I try my best to avoid being in situations like that.

#202809 - 06/01/10 06:11 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: Nicodemus]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Part of me says, Whatever it takes, hoping that the travel plan I left with someone is used if I don't arrive or call, or the cell phone, or SPOT I have on me work where I am at. Or I know where I am and can walk out.

The other side of me remembers that in 2002 a stranded driver started a signal fire in Northern Arizona and it became the largest forest fire in AZ history, (500k acres, ~500 houses destroyed, 30k people displaced).

Imagine if someone needing that power was diabetic and their insulin was ruined because of heat, or someone on a medical system had no back up. Or a business lost money b/c they couldn't run their business. Of course all that could happen by mere accident as well.

#202811 - 06/01/10 07:12 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: comms]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I'm coming up blank for the reasoning of putting multiple lives at risk for the sake of my own. I'd have to be very sure that the power line I was downing was not putting anyone else in danger and most likely there would be no way I could be sure of that.

#202813 - 06/01/10 07:37 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: Nicodemus]
speedemon Offline
Journeyman

If its the choice between life and death, as in I see no reasonable way I would live without cutting it down, then yes I would. Sorry, but my desire to live would override the possible harm done to others. People in isolated towns like that should have the capability to survive without power for a little while.

If I've got food enough, or a way to get food, I'd simply start following the power lines. They have to go somewhere.

#202815 - 06/01/10 08:53 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: speedemon]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Originally Posted By: speedemon
If its the choice between life and death, as in I see no reasonable way I would live without cutting it down, then yes I would. Sorry, but my desire to live would override the possible harm done to others. People in isolated towns like that should have the capability to survive without power for a little while.

If I've got food enough, or a way to get food, I'd simply start following the power lines. They have to go somewhere.

So long as you're willing to accept the punishment doled out if someone should die due to the incredibly selfish act you've committed.

After all, people who venture out in the woods should have the capability to survive without being rescued for a little while...right?

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#202816 - 06/01/10 09:03 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: JohnE]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Yup! Though I'd be a bit more worried about starting a forest fire, and would want to maybe find low power or telephone lines. But yeah, I always figured that was a good way to get attention.

#202817 - 06/01/10 09:07 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: comms]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: comms
Of course all that could happen by mere accident as well.

Which explains why I personally could justify cutting down those poles... Of course, the situation would have to be pretty extreme for me to do that.

Quite frankly, I don't think I ever would have thought of cutting down power poles as a means of signaling. He earns quite a few bonus points for ingenuity. But then again, a PLB would seem extremely smart in such remote locations.

In a perfect world, anything totally dependent on the grid would have some kind of backup, if nothing else then in the shape of thermal mass and creative cooling methods. It takes a while before the fridge is dangerously warm, and by then you'll have the insulin in the freezer, possibly in a cooler with lots of water bottles (thermal mass which at first prevents freezing, then act as a buffer to delay warming). I do realize cutting the power will have lots of bad consequences, possible lethal, but if there is no other options but cut-or-die I would cut the power.

I hold the view that I can't be morally responsible for other people's failure to prepare for power outage.

#202818 - 06/01/10 09:18 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: JohnE]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Just read the article and then took a look at the area in GoogleEarth -- fairly remote, not much up there.

If your only form of communication is cutting power lines you really need to rethink your kit. This is one of the areas on Earth that a PLB would really shine; cutting power off to multiple communities is really bad form.

Carrying an axe is good; there are lots of ways to constructively use an axe in a north woods survival situation. Taking an axe to a power pole or four would be way down the list of things to do (Plan C or D).

#202823 - 06/01/10 10:18 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: Nicodemus]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Probably not.

I'm not that important, and I'm too polite. Heck, I've told an EMT "sorry about this, I hope I didn't interrupting your breakfast".

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.