The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#202242 - 05/21/10 07:23 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: 7point82]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Last night watching Deadliest Warrior, Nazi v Viet Cong, the SS used a flame thrower. My wife saw that and said, "go get one of those for home protection when the world collapses."

Not very concealable but (lol) funny as hell. Btw I told her I know how to make napalm I could go whip some up in the garage real fast.

She said," ahh no". But my son said, "cool"

#202244 - 05/21/10 07:52 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: 7point82]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

Thanks for the responses.

I am planning on buying a shotgun for home defense. In the event of a catastrophe, I also would not want to leave my shelter but if I had to leave (the structure catches fire, the area is deemed unsafe, floods etc.) I would want to bring it with me.

I live in NY so, unfortunately, handgun anything is out of the question for me. frown I'm really looking at this as a self-defense tool so I want something durable, reliable and economical (I actually am looking at Mossbergs).

Believe me, I'm not looking at a natural disaster as a chance to play urban cowboy. And I work in healthcare so my initial impulse is to be helpful. However, I also know that you just can't through to some people and I'd like to be able to defend my wife and I to the best of my ability.

I realize the odds of actually needing a weapon are slim but, again, I wouldn't want to leave it behind either if we had to bug out.

It hadn't even crossed my mind that they would make you "check your gun at the door". Thank you for making me aware of that.

It seems that if I want to keep my gun, it would be best if folks didn't even know it was there. Thanks!

#202247 - 05/21/10 08:28 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: CarlosD]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
I personally would try my best to avoid a massive government help facility, unless I must have medical help. This site is helping me for planning to be self-sufficient in a disaster so that I can avoid such facilities.

I know a massive disaster facility (e.g., Superdome Katrina) is set up to help people. However, their success depends on their available resources versus the number of people who need help. Plus, you may live in an area where nobody is accustomed to being self-sufficient. Thus, if it's a really bad disaster, you could enter a help facility only to experience hell on earth.

In regards to guns, I never like to voluntarily enter an area where I'm forced to hand over my gun(s), especially during a disaster or where law enforcement is nonexistent. I view a gun as a necessary item during a SHTF situation like Katrina or worse.

By the way, somebody above brought up the oil spill. While that is a SHTF situation, for people on land (not on oil rig), that example is obviously off base from the topic at hand, and this topic is worthy of serious consideration.

Also, I don't think this is the right topic or set of people for a lecture about being paranoid. The topic is SHTF. By definition, everything is abnormal. It seems like most people here have a healthy degree of paranoia, and there is nothing wrong with that. I won't be capable of listening to a lecture on paranoia if a tsunami takes out my house and family. I'm not sure if such a lecture has much use now. Guns are more valuable during a massive SHTF situation. As an actual example, a gun would have been valuable to Reginald Denny in the Rodney King riots. There are many other examples where regular people have had true needs for guns when the SHTF.

#202248 - 05/21/10 08:41 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: ireckon]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

I concur with your sentiments regarding handing over my most forceful means of self-defense.

If I neede medical help, I'm glad I'm aware now of this stipulation whereas before, I honestly didn't give it any thought.

#202260 - 05/21/10 11:56 PM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: CarlosD]
LED Offline
Veteran

I thought handguns were legal to purchase anywhere but ny city? If possible, it seems having a friend or relative you can stay with outside the affected area would be a much better option for you than a shelter. Especially if you plan on traveling with a weapon, as I'm sure those would not be allowed in a public shelter. And I imagine the penalties could be quite severe if one were caught in violation of the no weapons policy. If you could purchase a handgun, a small .38special (with a proper holster of course) would probably be all you would need. Its about a simple and reliable as it gets and arguably easier to safely transport. You could even install a small, secured lock box in your vehicle.

#202262 - 05/22/10 12:09 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon

By definition, everything is abnormal. It seems like most people here have a healthy degree of paranoia, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Before this thread goes down the guns politics/arguments path and to a possible lock by the MOD's. I like to make a comment on your comment. I (and probably like most other here) come here not because we have a "healthy sense of paranoia" rather we want to be equipped to survive...which is a world of difference. And if you think that most here are paranoid, I take it you have not had the pleasure of reading any of the "survivalist" forums which this forum should never be mistaken for...

John Lubbock

#202263 - 05/22/10 12:19 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: LED]
CarlosD Offline
Stranger

I'm actually about to start the paperwork for a pistol permit. But I definately am getting a shotgun for the home defense anyway. That's why I was wondering if I should bother keeping it under wraps while on the move.

I guess I was confused and was wondering if it was better to be a poison tree frog (brightly colored to let all around know you shouldn't be messed with)or a, uh... boar, keeping to himself until provoked and then using his tusks.

Ok. Terrible analogy but I hope you get what I mean. wink

#202264 - 05/22/10 12:44 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: CarlosD]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I would go with Boar... Why use your SG when you dont have to? I would save my ammo and hide my gun. My opinion

#202265 - 05/22/10 01:08 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: Blast]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Originally Posted By: Blast
. . . 20gauge with an 18.5" barrel, pitol grip, and a large magazine. Obviously it doesn't have quite the power of a 12gauge, but it is easier to control . . .

-Blast

Still, a 20 gauge pointed at you still looks like a train tunnel. It has the distinct potential of making someone's drawers considerably heavier and stinkier. crazy

#202272 - 05/22/10 02:33 AM Re: To hide or not to hide? [Re: MoBOB]
BrianB Offline

First, find a good school and get trained. I'm sure there is more than one in your area. Not only do you need to know your weapon inside and out, including failure drills, maintenance, and marksmanship, but to understand tactics and -- most importantly, especially in your state -- legal issues.

Second, find a really good hiding place for the gun. When the authorities come to take it from you, claim it's elsewhere. If it's legal to loan it to a relative, tell them you lent it to that legal relative, who happens to not live in your hometown.

Don't leave home with it.

If you leave home. Leave it hidden. And locked up. (Because nothing is EVER hidden enough. Any thief worth their salt already thought of anything you could.) And, to be safe, take a key component with you, so if it is stolen the so-and-so doesn't get anything useful.

If you leave home with it, you'll need to transport it legally. If it's visible, it will be confiscated by the authorities. If it's loaded and carried concealed on your person, not only is it useless for defense, but it's going to get you in jail in NY pretty fast.

Plan on investing many times the price of the shotgun in training and practice ammunition. If that's not in the budget and you don't have prior training, then skip it.

If you're going to get one with no training anyway, get a reliable auto like the Mossberg 930, because it's pretty easy to short stroke a pump under stress.

Edited by BrianB (05/22/10 02:36 AM)
Edit Reason: grammar/clarity

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.