Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202578 - 05/28/10 01:09 PM Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ......
LoneWolf Offline

Howdy all,

Some of you may recall from previous postings that I am interested in becoming a Flight Nurse on our local air ambulance service. In looking at the requirements, I need to be an RN with about 3 years critical care experience, a paramedic, have (or be working on) a BSN, and about 3 different certifications (BLS, ACLS, and PALS). Sooooooo now my question.

I'm guessing that I can be finished with the required schooling and certifications by the time I finish 3 years of critical care experience (since I currently work on a critical care unit). However, at that point in time, I will be about 52 years old. I know that legally I can't be kept out of a position because of my age, but do you think it would happen? Is there a reasonalble expectation of me being able to get the postion at my age? (Assuming a spot is available at that time) I don't want to spend all of the time in school only to find out that I'm too old.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

LW

#202580 - 05/28/10 01:16 PM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: LoneWolf]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
I am only 16... and its really tough to get a job! but, I dont see why they wouldnt hire you. Yuo have a great enthusiasm for working as a Flight Nurse and unless you arent in a good physical shape, you should have nothing to worry about. Good luck though, hope you make it!

#202583 - 05/28/10 02:32 PM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: LoneWolf]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Rather than worry about age restrictions, I think you should check on the current recruitment and retention rates for that company. If they have a high turn over rate, I would think you would have good shot at a position. If they have a low turn rate, regardless of your age, you may have a challenge in obtaining a position. I would ask their HR department or whoever is responsible for hiring, as to how many open flight positions for which they have recruited in the last 2-3 years. If they have had a number of flight positions for which they have hired, you would stand a reasonable chance of employment, if they have only hired 1 person in the last 3 years, I would look elsewhere.

Pete

#202604 - 05/28/10 07:28 PM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: paramedicpete]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
My paramedic has been expired for a many years, but when I think back, the flight nurse positions here in the Denver area were a little tough to compete for. I'd estimate that the average age of a flight nurse was late 20's to 30's. Pilots were usually in their 60's I'd bet. This doesn't indicate they were only hiring younger flight nurses, it was just my personal age observations. Could be that nobody but the young applied.

#202622 - 05/29/10 04:47 AM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: sybert777]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: sybert777
I am only 16... and its really tough to get a job!

I know you're eager to get a job & pitch in financially, but don't worry- enjoy being a kid! Soon enough you'll start your working life...then you'll probably work til you die! Don't be in a rush! wink

#202834 - 06/02/10 02:49 AM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: Phaedrus]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Phaedrus, I know that several people tell me to enjoy being a kid... I want to work (Good Thing??) But... I know I will regret it in the future looking back at my "Childhood" I am trying to get a job at Gundlach or a Coal Mine... I dont tnink I have what it takes though!!

#202841 - 06/02/10 05:49 AM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: sybert777]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yikes! A coal mine sounds like a pretty drastic step, especially at your age.

#202860 - 06/02/10 05:17 PM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: Phaedrus]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Its money, If it wasn't for the age requirements, I would love to work in a Coal Mine. I do not knowwhere any coal mines are around here, so I am going to apply at Gundlach and hopefully start off at $12.50/ Hr. I'm trying... Not working at fast food!!! ever!!!

#202862 - 06/02/10 05:57 PM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: sybert777]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Honest labor is worth doing, and worth doing well, even if it's dusty, smelly and sweaty. I've never worked in a coal mine. I've had summer vacation jobs in heavy industry, though. If the coal mine is up to standards with regards to safety attitude and keeping the working environment as healthy as possible then I'm sure you'd learn much more valuable lessons there than at a fast food joint.

Note that I am not stressing safety and working environment only because you can get killed in that environment (either very instantly or very slow). If you're sloppy in those areas when you work in a dangerous environment then it affects every other single aspect of that work place in a very negative way. The lessons you'll learn will then only be negative, as in "this is how bad it gets when you're sloppy".

I'm not recommending anyone to work in a coal mine, but if you do get that kind of job, you'll learn some pretty important lessons. Just don't grow old in that kind of job...

#202874 - 06/02/10 09:54 PM Re: Question for Paramedics, EMT's, etc ...... [Re: MostlyHarmless]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Apologies for continuing the thread hijack ...

There's nothing at all wrong with an honest day's work for an honest day's pay. I've done all sorts of physical labour -- but to further my education, not to buy shiny stuff.

I think it's important to keep an eye on the medium term prospects as well as short term earnings. Where will this job take you?

A young person with some brains but without the cash/desire to do a lot of post-secondary schooling should get into the trades ASAP and give it all they've got.

Better still, pick a trade that has certifications that are recognized beyond state/provincial boundaries. That means you can go where the work is.

And if the economy demands it, employers will pay to upgrade your skills -- possibly setting you up for a technician/technologist designation.

It's not just mechanics, carpenters, welders and electricians. Locksmiths are in demand (which I would find pretty darn interesting FWIW).

Edited by dougwalkabout (06/02/10 09:54 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.