The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#203080 - 06/07/10 09:36 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: chickenlittle]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Mostly Harmless - I agree it's a poor example, but it was one intentionally chosen as a stark contrast to our normal value system (uh... ok, maybe "my" normal value system).

Dagny, I'd probably yak too. Or shake really really bad. Which is embarrasing as a guy smile
Although I would love to debate how self-preservation in one's home is somehow different than self-preservation outside one's home (where someone dies), it's totally OT and worthy of a whole slew of threads. In my mind, though, having one's actions kill another is the same, whethere it's on the offensive or defensive.

Susan, if he had other choices available, and he went with the powerline first, he's a flipping moron.

#203082 - 06/07/10 10:12 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: MDinana]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This chaps mistake was not burning the evidence, i.e. of the ends of the chopped poles. I would have then just later said that a beaver ran of with my firesteel earlier that morning. wink

#203083 - 06/07/10 10:56 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
[quote=MostlyHarmless

The last 100-150 years, Western civilization has gone through great effort to extend the definition of human to your enemies, which are not inhuman and are not to be tortured or massacred. You may still shoot or bomb someone for some military gain defined by your leaders, but not civilians. This is a fairly recent invention. [/quote]

Only the implements of war have changed. Witness: Alexander the Great, Erick the Red, King Richard Lionheart, Julius Caesar, Gengis Khan..................

#203085 - 06/07/10 11:44 PM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: MostlyHarmless]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

The last 100-150 years, Western civilization has gone through great effort to extend the definition of human to your enemies, which are not inhuman and are not to be tortured or massacred. You may still shoot or bomb someone for some military gain defined by your leaders, but not civilians. This is a fairly recent invention.

Residents of Tokyo or Dresden circa 1945 might quibble with your timing somewhat, and the doctrine of strategic bombing in the 1920s was centered around of idea of knocking out the opponent's civilian support for war. But from the end of WWW2 or so I agree.

I also agree that if the situation isn't desperate he'd better not mess with the community power system. If he's not low on food, water, or something else essential for survival, the power company should give him a map & compass rather than a ride out.

#203087 - 06/08/10 12:09 AM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
But from the end of WWW2 or so I agree

I wouldn't agree considering one of the largest aerial bombing campaigns ever mounted was during Operation Menu in the late 1960s and early 1970s, where over 2.5 million tonnes of high explosive bombs were dropped on countries that had virtually no air defenses. The tonnage dropped was many many times that dropped during the second world war.

Shock and Awe was only a few years ago.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/08/10 12:11 AM)

#203090 - 06/08/10 12:58 AM Re: Would You Do It? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

This chaps mistake was not burning the evidence, i.e. of the ends of the chopped poles. I would have then just later said that a beaver ran of with my firesteel earlier that morning. wink

LOL -- though any beaver that could survive that dose of pole treating oil would be a heckuva lot more freaky than any bear I've met.

Actually, to be ploddingly literal, if I absolutely had to chop down power poles, I'd chop as high as I could -- above three feet. At least that gives the repair crews something to work with. I've seen a lot of three-phase line poles repaired with thru-bolts and big, heavy steel dogs. The repair outlasts the pole.

Woof!
Doug

P.S., is this thread generally heading toward a Monty Python sketch, or is it just me? "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay ... " grin

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.