Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#202324 - 05/23/10 01:09 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one place! [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida

Heetsheet
Whistle
Button compass
Knife
Iodine tablets
Fauxton light
Dental floss
Wire saw
Waxed cotton balls
Duct tape
Ziplock bag
pre-rigged fishing line
snare wire
needles, awl
safety pins
wound closure strips
aluminum foil
Hacksaw blade/striker
"Trick" self-relighting candles
Razor knife
Diamond sharpener
3X magnifier
Flint/Mg
Signal mirror

#202329 - 05/23/10 06:12 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one pla [Re: ]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

Great thread!!! Getting some good ideas, thanks.

#202335 - 05/23/10 08:04 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one pla [Re: ]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I can see that OldSoldier had adopted my paracord wrapping around the PSK Tin trick from my website.

THATS where I got it from! I loved the idea so much, as you can see, I use it on my PSKs & anywhere else I can. Its a handy way to keep a few feet of cord, with the kit itself.

#202469 - 05/25/10 08:19 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one pla [Re: oldsoldier]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is anyone using a tupperware/ rubbermaid or similar container? Seems perfect for the job

#202477 - 05/25/10 10:19 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one pla [Re: TeacherRO]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Wild Weasel, how have you liked the Leatherman Skeletool in the field? I have a great Leatherman Charge but at 8 ounces its pretty heavy. The Skeletool weighs almost half as much but I have not heard how well they're working out for people.

#202482 - 05/26/10 01:37 AM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one pla [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
Glock-A-Roo

When I first came to Southwest Asia last year I started out with an SOG Powerlock. Besides being too heavy and bulky it was impossible to open the knife one handed. Another general issue I have with multitools is that if you damage one of the screw driver bits, your screwed. The Skeletool offers the bulk and feel of a one handed opening folding knife along with 40+ interchangeable bits allowing me to configure it for requirements, last but not least needle nose pliers. In that there is no wood or trees over here a saw would be superfluous… The skeletool is a handy multi tool I keep on my person for little jobs, if I have anything heavy I get my tool bag out.

Cheers,
W-W

#202807 - 06/01/10 05:57 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one place! [Re: sybert777]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I purchased the Doug Ritter PSK and the Doug Ritter mk5 knife. With my usually disrespect for reading the provided instructions I opened the pouch in a way that renders the closing strips useless. This, as well as the utter lack of shelter, inspired me to distribute the contents of Doug Ritters PSK and my kit posted here

I now have one very small "always-in-my-pocket"-PSK, and one bigger "always-in-my-pack"-survival kit.

This is small enough to always be with me whenever I roam the land, either because some frisbee-and-grilling occations really aren't suited for my half-worn outdoor outfit (at least my wife tells me so), or jogging in my summer workout outfit. It is small, light and flat enough to fit comfortably in most pockets.

The blue square is a generic disposable rain poncho.
Above that, the Doug Ritter mk5 knife and petzl e-lite.
Top row: Lighter, zip-lock bag with goodies and the duct tape from the Doug Ritter kit.

Some items from the Doug Ritter kit in a small zip-lock bag:
Fire starter, kindling, compass, steel wire (around the compass, barely visible), sewing thread, whistle, thin line.

To prevent gas leakage, the lighter has a small piece of PET plastic (cut-out from a bottle) wrapped around the button, secured with a round of gorilla tape.

As seen in the first picture, it all fits inside a generic heavy-duty plastic pouch that originally held some food items, trimmed to size and secured with two pieces of gorilla tape.

This kit is primary a backup to my larger kit, focusing on shelter (cordage+steel wire+plastic poncho+knife), fire (lighter+fire starter+kindling+knife) and general utility (duct tape, wire, cordage/thread/wire, knife).

This kit does not cover hydration, which is not really such a bummer in my location (Where I live, I can drink untreated from "wild" streams, which are virtually everywhere. If pollution from livestock or industry is a problem then help (=people) is very close anyway. In general, being so sloppy about hydration is not exactly recommended practice).

Those of you familiar with Doug Ritters kit may miss a lot of items, in particular the signalling mirror. Those items are all in my larger (backpack) kit. I'll post an updated inventory of that kit when I get inspired.

#202825 - 06/01/10 11:55 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one place! [Re: MostlyHarmless]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless

To prevent gas leakage, the lighter has a small piece of PET plastic (cut-out from a bottle) wrapped around the button, secured with a round of gorilla tape.

I like this idea. I stressed about gas loss and just used careful positioning of the lighter as a solution which, as we all know, would fail eventually.

#202826 - 06/01/10 11:58 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one place! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I have tweaked this a little since last winter when I took the picture. Took out the mag striker and replaced with a ferro rod and 2" hack blade, better whistles, smaller lighter, replaced tea shown with 'Constant Comment'....

Here's what I have in my PSK. Boreal forests, three seasons. It is meant to supplement what I always carry on my belt or in my jacket pocket or rucksack: cell phone, GMRS radio (only when I have a companion) Ricola natural herb coughdrops(2), good grade compass, large lighter, Leatherman Wave or Supertool, Western 10" cord-wrapped belt knife, light hand axe, 27" bandana(2), nylon mil-spec ripstop poncho, 27 oz steel bottle, Fox 40 whistle, slingshot band with leather pocket.

Here is what you see from top left:

Mil-Spec pouch, orange disposable poncho (multi-use for signal flags, ground cover, tent, solar still), teabags in a heavy zip lock, TP and a ziplock, dry cotton balls and paper tinder (or to write notes) banded packet (containing 8 snelled fish hooks, 2 scalpel blades, 10 butterfly bandages, eyeglass repair kit with magnifying glass, standard signal mirror, three upholstery needles, fabric band aids, 2x2 gauze bandages, double size orange emergency blanket, pencil with 25 ft of 50 pound test black braided fish line). A Fiskars retractable wood saw, Mora 840 MG Clipper, magnesium sparker and striker, a frog spearhead with a half hot-melt glue stick protecting points, 50 ft heavy white nylon mason line, snarewire, whistle, foam bobber, backup button compass, SAK Classic knife with tweezers and toothpick, nylon flag clip, mini-Bic lighter, filter straw, iodine tabs, nine ibuprofin, 1/32 oz antibiotic ointments, duct tape-wrapped film canister with vaseline-soaked cotton balls and two large treble hooks inside, a metal LED light, zip ties, 25 feet of 550 paracord and a steel sierra cup.

When I go out, I stuff one Clif Bar in also......it all fits in the pouch and weighs 35 ounces.

Attachments
My PSK.jpg

#202865 - 06/02/10 07:08 PM Re: PSK Sharing Center. Everyone's PSKs in one place! [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Using the glue stick to cover the tines of the "giggin" fork is brilliant.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 400 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.