Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#202651 - 05/29/10 11:17 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
I agree with Art.

People have an almost romanticized and very misguided fantasy that modern society is going to fall apart and they will be able start bartering all that junk silver and gold and ammo they have hoarded just because some other wing nut survivalist website/forum or blogger espouses such thinking.

The simple fact is that we as people, long ago moved beyond such primitive bartering....simply because it does not work, otherwise we would still be using that system.

If you want to be prepared, take a cue from Jeff's list. From what I have read, he has been to many small and large catastrophic events and not just in the USA and has first hand experience in what is truly needed in the aftermath of disasters. His list, IMO is more realistic and is void of the Walter Mitty syndrome that so pervades the mindset of those who are almost lathering for their SHTF moment so they can play out their ammo bartering fantasies...

John Lubbock

#202652 - 05/29/10 11:48 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Teslinhiker]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Frankly, I forgot exactly what the argument here with respect to ammo. It has gotten too complicated for me to understand. I think some folks here are trying to say that ammo will not be good barter. It's hard to tell because I do not think the posts here, with respect to ammo, have to be this long. To be clear, all I'm trying to say is that ammo will be one of many useful barter items.

To keep it simple: Either you believe ammo will have less value during SHTF or you believe ammo will have more value. That analysis goes for any predicted barter item. I really think it's that simple.

If you believe ammo will have less value during SHTF and you are currently a gun owner, I will listen to you only if you have just enough ammo around to do some hunting and have a little fun. If you have any more ammo than that, then I won't take what you are saying as being credible. It's kind of hard to tell on the Internet because we are coming here as strangers after all.

#202653 - 05/29/10 11:56 PM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: ireckon]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Originally Posted By: ireckon

To keep it simple: Either you believe ammo will have less value during SHTF or you believe it will have more value. That analysis goes for any predicted barter item. I really think it's that simple.

To keep it more simple:

Most people come to this forum so they can be prepared for more every day events that may directly affect their lives. This does not include some far flung scenario where modern society and the financial system has collapsed and evolves to a make belief era where a handful of ammo will score you a bartered chicken for dinner...

John Lubbock

#202659 - 05/30/10 02:12 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Teslinhiker]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Unfortunately this thread has taken a turn to politics,of which is Verbotten in,most cases here on the forum.Here in the USA,We haven't had our Rights taken away,So many of us,Grew up with Firearms,Many didn't, but are owners of Firearms.Without ammo,you don't use these Firearms,Simple as that!Ammo is,and will always be,a Commodity!We talk about Guns because,We Can,&That's Just The Way It Is!No Fantasies Here!

#202661 - 05/30/10 02:31 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Richlacal]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
Vices and luxuries- soap, perfume, alcohol, tobacco, condoms, naturally common ammunition to a smaller extent. Remember, unless it's a war, folks aren't going to be shooting 24/7.
Things like coffee, chocolate, and tea were very popular during WWII and could purchase many other "favors" or luxuries.
Canned meat is king when no other source of protein is readily available.
Think things that wear out but people typically don't put back in quantities. Things like socks, underwear, gloves, mittens, shoes, boots, etc.

Blankets and greatcoats were also coveted. In the event of a global cooling trend, many folks won't be properly clothed.

#202664 - 05/30/10 02:50 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Tarzan]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I agree with the statement about Jeff's list. It deals with more common issues of life and likely experiences: i.e. natural disasters. A good question is: "What is it that I like to have when there is a lot of induced stress and strain?" Also, ""what helps me get through the days and weeks ahead as I rebuild?" Foodstuffs, clothing, hygiene items, and rebuilding materials.

My $.02 again.

#202666 - 05/30/10 02:56 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Tarzan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Vegetable seeds (they could conceivably be worth more than bullets or gold)
Chocolate (besides, it's a health food, now!)
Soap
Water collection stuff: plastic sheeting, rope/cord, clothes pins
Spices
Honey (buy local honey if you can; if you have to buy honey from the grocery store, always check the label to make sure of what you're getting: there should only be one ingredient listed: HONEY (and that isn't always the case).

Sue

#202672 - 05/30/10 03:46 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Tarzan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Tarzan
Things like coffee, chocolate, and tea were very popular during WWII and could purchase many other "favors" or luxuries.

Although I generally roll my eyes when someone asks about bartering a la Mad Max and "Bartertown", I don't consider the general topic of barter to necessarily involve a fantasy scenario like that.

Tarzan, I think you've pointed out the reality that bartering can certainly co-exist with the normal economy as a shadow economy, so we don't have to have some apocalyptic meltdown all of fiat currencies or nuclear war or something similarly spectacular to utilize bartering.

From what I've read, barter of services has been increasing during the economic downturn, when even skilled folks are out of work or business is very slow. Of course, the IRS officially requires their cut of the action. frown Maybe building up our skillset may actually be a more practical and likely to be used form of barter?

I think that currency is just too useful for us to ever to truly reject it in favor of barter. I'm sure that we would quickly re-establish some sort of currency-based economy if the regular economy imploded, even if it meant going back to using greenbacks as an easily recognized, hard to counterfeit medium of exchange, of course, with each denomination having a new value in the new economy.

#202681 - 05/30/10 07:20 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Arney]
TXMark Offline
Stranger

The problem with trading ammo to someone is that they know you have more, and you've just potentially armed them.

Also, surprised no one added this:
http://www.thepowerhour.com/news/items_disappearfirst.htm

#202682 - 05/30/10 07:38 AM Re: Best Barter Items to Stockpile for WTSHTF? [Re: Arney]
LED Offline
Veteran

The funny thing about markets is they tend to be unpredictable. IMO, its always prudent to stock extra of what you like, use, and need. If it turns out to be valuable, great. If not, oh well. For some reason this thread reminds me of the movie "Stripes" with Bill Murray. The scene where they're driving the EM-50 and he bribes a Czechoslovakian guard at a checkpoint with a bottle of Vodka. grin

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 291 Guests and 41 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.